advertisement

Cleaning a Canon DSLR

John Channing

fruit box forever
I appear to have collected a few small fibres and a few specs of dirt either on the mirror or on the back of the view finder of my EOS 350. I am not sure how this happened as I am always very careful when changing lenses and always switch the power off first. Test shots are not showing the dirt (obviously), so it is an annoyance rather than a major problem. What is the best way to get it cleaned?

john.

#1 do not attempt to clean this yourself. it is probably dust on the focusing screen. a decent pro shop should be able to take care of it for you, but ill warn you that only girliemen who rarely use their cameras have perfectly clean finders ;-)

i would wait another 10 years for things to get really bad before doing anything about it.

vuk.

Agree with vuk on this one. The dust is probably between the focus screen and the pentaprism. The screens aren't designed to be user changeable on the 350 if I remember so it's a fiddly job to sort and if you try yourself in a typical house you'll probably add more dust than you manage to remove.

The bit you can try is to get a blower on the outside of the focus screen and see if this helps. Dust on the mirror doesn't appear in focus so this won't be the problem. Best is to just live with it.

Cesare

advertisement

Back