advertisement

Cleaning 78s

Robert

Tapehead
Anyone cleaned 78s on an RCM?

If so do you have any recommendations for cleaning fluid?
Presumably anything containing alcohol is out.

Are the huge majority of 78's not pressed in PVC?

I doubt IPA would affect shellac- best way to try, use a cotton bud in the land between the run-out - scrub it in a small area and let it dry.

For absolute sure, meths does dissolve shellac.

Water (cold) is apparently ok, but that’s about it. Avoid all spirit based cleaners and don’t put them anywhere a record cleaner used for vinyl as they have all manner of sharp nastiness sitting in the grooves (metal filings from the steel needles etc). I’ve done nothing more than cold water and a soft yellow side of a washing up pad and it gets a fair bit off.

PS PVC/vinyl 78s are very rare and only appeared right at the end of production. I’ve only got one, a Lonnie Donnegan skiffle track, can’t remember which. I’ve never played it as they aren’t really playable on a wind-up gramophone as the tracking weight is so heavy.

You live and learn. Should I ever get bequeathed any 78's, I shall try to remember :)

I'd be surprised if standard RCM brews did damage, but would only try in a tiny area between the run-out or on junk. IPA is really a p-poor solvent and that is made "worse" when added to water.

Shellac is an odd thing though - ask any French-polisher/antiques dealer.....

No alcohol so safe for all records

Shellac is NOT unaffected by water, so BEWARE.
Any cleaning solution that claims otherwise is talking BS. The crunch will be drying time and temperature.

Last edited:
I have used a few different concoctions.

Helps to play the record a few times and repeat the cleaning process a few times.

I avoid IPA.

Thanks all for the information and advice, much appreciated.

Simon, that's very kind - PM on the way.

Nice new Technics 1210GR arrived so want to scratch the 78 itch to see what can be achieved. Picked up an ATVM95SP 3mil stylus to get started.
Should be a fun project.

advertisement

Back