advertisement

Classical vinyl chat

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
I think we need a thread to chat about classical music on vinyl as there doesn't appear to be one.

I stayed in Wemyss Bay over the weekend there and when I went down to Largs on Saturday for the day I bought a record in one of the charity shops. The 2-record album I bought was Rachmaninov's 4 piano concertos with Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini (link @ Discogs; link to CD @ Amazon).

51-JhNle3LL._AC_UY218_.jpg

I've only listened to concerto No. 2 so far but it has to be said, I found the playing to be quite mesmerising at times as it really drew me in. It was only £1 and the condition is pretty decent so I think I've got a wee bargain there; apart from this one there was the usual dross that nobody buys in the bargain basement pricing end of thins, Mantovani, Pipe Bands, James Last etc. Anything that looked half decent was priced as per Oxfam pricing, the same was true for all the charity shops I visited that day: cheap dross and expensive pop and rock.

Anyway, I'll clean the records when I get a chance and put my VM95ML stylus back on it's body: I use the stylus from my VM95E to play pre-cleaned records and records that are staying, well they get cleaned.

I see side 4 has a runtime of about 35 minutes so that's quite a stretch but if it sounds good then it is good.

EDIT: this is my regular Rachmaninov piano concerto set. I'm now playing PC3 from that cheap vinyl I picked up on Saturday and it's very good! So good I might never play that CD again!

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Ah, but there is no "best" version... you need lots of versions of anything you really love.

Werner Haas playing Rachmaninov on Philips would be my top tip. A player who would have been a giant among pianists had he only lived longer. Pentatone thought highly enough of the performance to reissue it on SACD...

PS and Haas's Debussy and Ravel are equally marvellous, and must exist in LP form :cool:

I think we need a thread to chat about classical music on vinyl as there doesn't appear to be one.

I stayed in Wemyss Bay over the weekend there and when I went down to Largs on Saturday for the day I bought a record in one of the charity shops. The 2-record album I bought was Rachmaninov's 4 piano concertos with Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini (link @ Discogs; link to CD @ Amazon).

51-JhNle3LL._AC_UY218_.jpg

I've only listened to concerto No. 2 so far but it has to be said, I found the playing to be quite mesmerising at times as it really drew me in. It was only £1 and the condition is pretty decent so I think I've got a wee bargain there; apart from this one there was the usual dross that nobody buys in the bargain basement pricing end of thins, Mantovani, Pipe Bands, James Last etc. Anything that looked half decent was priced as per Oxfam pricing, the same was true for all the charity shops I visited that day: cheap dross and expensive pop and rock.

Anyway, I'll clean the records when I get a chance and put my VM95ML stylus back on it's body: I use the stylus from my VM95E to play pre-cleaned records and records that are staying, well they get cleaned.

I see side 4 has a runtime of about 35 minutes so that's quite a stretch but if it sounds good then it is good.

EDIT: this is my regular Rachmaninov piano concerto set. I'm now playing PC3 from that cheap vinyl I picked up on Saturday and it's very good! So good I might never play that CD again!
Derek, you should see some of the stuff I’ve picked up in Rothesay. My favourite cover is the Alexander Brothers “Highland Fling”.

4qRO5Ji.jpg

currently fetching up to £10 on eBay, not to be sniffed at…

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I bought some classical records in a charity shop a while ago but I've only just gotten round to cleaning them. First up is Bach's Brandenburg Concertos 2,4 & 5. Conducted by Karl Munchinger with the Stuggart Chamber Orchestra. How is it? It's a relevation, I say, a damn revelation! It's almost like I've never heard these pieces before. The record was only a quid so I didn't mind taking a punt, but I think I've ended up with a real keeper :)

OC00NTM4LmpwZWc.jpeg

I just listened to the 1812 Overture on side one of this record (another charity shop purchase), as performed by the London Festival Orchestra with Robert Sharples at the helm. All I can say is wow! When the Russian hymn returns strong and mighty just before le French retreat, well I had goosebumps from head to toe!

Mi0xNTcyLmpwZWc.jpeg

Incidentally, the record came with some handwritten notes over three pages which provide some context and analysis of the piece. I can only imagine they were written by a then student of music. The paper on which the notes were written doesn't look new at all so for all I know, the notes were written - and in a very neat font - a long time ago indeed! Regardless of how old these notes are, I find them to be a real treasure.

The notes also include hand-drawn excerpts of the score. I won't be able to include them but here's what the student had to say about the 1812 Overture:

Page 1
This work was composed in 1880 [and] first performed in 1882 at the consecration of The Cathedral of the Saviour of Moscow. This cathedral was built in commemoration of the Russian victory over Napoleon in 1812.

The first performance was supposed to have been given in the open air by an orchestra of several hundred players, the timpani part being executed by a battery of artillery.

This Overture is Programme Music.

The introduction is a Russian Hymn Tune:
[Score excert]

A sad tune that shows the foreboding of the plight of the Russian people.
[Woodwind score excert]

This tune leads to climax reached in the solemn passage given to bassoons, cellos and double basses.

First Part
Martial music sounds in the distance. The storm of war rages in Europe. The music is quick, rhythmic and loud and rises to a tremendous crescendo. Brass instruments bring in the Marseillaise tune. Full scale war in Europe.

Page 2
[Martial Tune score excerpt]

Second Part
Lovely sweeping melody with elements of folk songs and folk dances of Russian are next heard. These portray the tranquil, peaceful and happy country life of Russian people - people far away from the armies of Napoleon.

[Folk song score excert]

[Folk dance score excerpt]

WAR RAGES ACROSS EUROPE.
Still peace in Russia.

Third Part
War approaches Russia. Trumpet Call - Rolling Drums.

The Marseillaise portrays the French armies at the gate of Moscow. The Russians are now at war with France. Listen how the Marseillaise is obliterated by the descending melody played by the full orchestra. The French are 'crushed' to death by the might of Russia. The orchestra plays ffff and tutti.

Fourth Part
Victory. Thanksgiving theme. Hymn Tune Rolls.

Page 3
There is great rejoicing.

The cheery folk dance tune is heard again and the old national anthem of Russia brings this great overture to an end.

Tchaikovsky wrote this Overture to prove to the "FIVE" ["FIVE" is double underlined here] that he could compose music in what they termed The Russian Nationalistic Style.

This style was to rouse national pride, have a religious feeling and contain folk song and folk dance elements.

Tchaikovsky was trained in the Italian and German style of musical composition, but this 1812 Overture proved that he was also a great Russian National Composer.

Last edited:
I'm currently playing this vinyl release of Are You Still Somehwere? by Lavinia Meijer. It's the first brand new classical vinyl release I've bought in a long time - I think the last one I bought must have been over a decade ago!

It's on Music On Vinyl and it's pretty quiet as far as background noise goes. If you come across one in the wild, all I can say is buy it.

81P07KCWiOL._AC_UY218_.jpg

As an aside, I see its identifier code is MOVCL072, so I'm guessing this is the 72nd classical release under the MOV label.

I bagged someone’s opera collection on EBay recently for next to nothing and they are MINT. I’m actually questioning if they’ve ever been played or librettos opened, they genuinely look brand new when you open the boxes. I have two other new to me opera box sets as well so that’s 25 to get through!

RZTPqdH.jpeg

Recently arrived, this unopened copy of Einstein On The Beach, in timewarp condition after 45 years:

53618594533_9c39907676_c.jpg

Might be worth a bit if I don't unwrap it?
Oops...

53618594543_4d6b3d0900_c.jpg

And it sounds great!

53618388606_0fc18cd1f9_c.jpg

"1,2,3
1...2...3..."

Deutsche Grammophon - The Original Source

I'm sure many will already know about this series of high quality releases but they were new to me. I recently bought a few and the quality is astounding. Firstly, the vinyl itself is very quiet. There's (almost) zero surface noise. Rejoice, rejoice!

Unlike the original 1970s release of these performances, there is no intermediate-stage stereo tape. These records have been cut directly from the original quadrophonic master tape, which was remixed down to stereo in real time by DG's sound engineers.

The result is quite something. Smetana's Ma Vlast, with the Boston SO and Kubelik, sounds like they're in the room. I have a 1977 Decca release of Kubelik and the Vienna PO which, comparatively, sounds like I'm wearing ear defenders. It's not a fair comparison as the Decca originates from a 1959 tape but still, the difference is very marked.

Then there's Richard Strauss. I bought this for his Four Last Songs, beautifully sung by Gundula Janowitz. On the other side is Death and Transformation which I'm not familiar with. I was listening to this, relaxing one evening, when there's a sudden drum beat and I almost jumped out of my skin.

As for the performances, the music itself, I'm no expert on how well regarded they are, but I'm enjoying them all. I have a few recordings of Beethoven's 7th and the Original Source release (Vienna PO, Kleiber) stands up well. It had me tapping my foot throughout with an engaging, propulsive performance.

I'm really pleased with these releases and I'm wondering what others think of them. Maybe you can recommend other records in the series?

advertisement

Back