advertisement

Classical music for dummies

MarkieW

pfm Member
Hi all, (now posted in the most appropriate forum!)

I have now got to the point where I think my system is getting towards half decent (in my mind!), and am looking to broaden my musical horizons. Never been into classical music, but am prepared to give it another serious go.

Can anyone recommend a type of classical for dummies type album, probably a compilation giving me some easy access to the genre? A sort of greatest hits type thing I suppose across all composers. Any suggestions?

I think that the scatter-gun approach is not the most rewarding way of exploring classical music; better to start with one composer and spread out from there. The obvious choice is Beethoven.

Pick a famous work - for the sake of argument, the Fifth Symphony. If you have a streaming service, hear more than one approach to it. Traditional Germanic (Otto Klemperer) performance style is very different to "historically informed" (Roger Norrington). Do you prefer one approach to the other? Can you say why?

Then you might try Beethoven's previous or next symphony. How is it different from the Fifth? Do you prefer one to the other?

Then, perhaps, something else by Beethoven in a different form - I would suggest a piano concerto. A bit of background reading will inform you about Beethoven's life as a famous concert pianist, writing concertos for himself, before increasing deafness put an end to his performing career. Context is really important for classical music...

Then you might try a piano concerto by a different composer. Perhaps Mozart, from just before Beethoven, or Liszt, from not long after.

And keep branching out, learning as you go... with plenty of support available here :)

Last edited:
I think that the scatter-gun approach is not the most rewarding way of exploring classical music;

But your suggestion is to work through loads of composers in some kind of order, which could take minutes or months to produce anything that any one person likes.
In one day of radio, you get that lot and many more.

I like loads of classical music (though rather seldom play any - I prefer the radio for classical), but none of the composers especially so, that you have mentioned...........................................

Context is really important for classical music...

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Without wanting to ruffle any feathers, I have a slight "Huh?!" moment to that! A piece of music is defined by its composition and performance to me. Context is irrelevant to my mind. A piece of music is good when it is a good tune and well performed. No amount of context will change those two points for me.

The only time context is important I guess would be at the moment of experiencing it, just like a fabulous meal and fine wine would be dulled if I was eating alone compared to if I was in good company. That context doesnt change the merits of the food and wine though, just how much I get out of it

I would get a reasonably priced box set, either by a particular conductor (the Haitink and Marriner sets are awesome!!), or one of the label specific sets (Decca, Philips, DG). These will give an excellent spread of composers and their works for you to experience.
If you don’t like the set, you can always sell it on!!

When I say that context is important to classical music, I mean that understanding something of the world in which the composer of a particular work lived, and knowing what was going on at that point in his life (or hers, sometimes) helps to get to grips with that music. So not the listening context, but rather the context in which the musical statement was made.

I agree that there is not much basis for objective assessment of the worth of a piece of music. Personal, subjective response is all there is. But knowing something of a composition's roots can enhance that appreciation.

For example: we know that in the opening of his 3rd symphony Beethoven wanted to convey heroic power and confidence. Did he succeed? Most people would say "Yes!". In feeling that way they identify with Beethoven's intentions and go along with him - and thus respond more to the music than they would if they listened to it as something purely abstract.

I have now got to the point where I think my system is getting towards half decent (in my mind!), and am looking to broaden my musical horizons. Never been into classical music, but am prepared to give it another serious go.

Can anyone recommend a type of classical for dummies type album, probably a compilation giving me some easy access to the genre? A sort of greatest hits type thing I suppose across all composers. Any suggestions?

Just get one of those "your 40 favourite classics" cd sets, listen to it, decide which ones you liked and come back here for recommendations for "proper" complete recordings.

this sort of thing, but doesn't really matter which one, you can probably find something like it in your local petrol station

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003JGIY3W/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074ZMZJ6B/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

(this is how I started, 32 years ago...c.1600 discs/downloads since then)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Just get one of those "your 40 favourite classics" cd sets, listen to it, decide which ones you liked and come back here for recommendations for "proper" complete recordings.

this sort of thing, but doesn't really matter which one, you can probably find something like it in your local petrol station

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003JGIY3W/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074ZMZJ6B/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

(this is how I started, 32 years ago...c.1600 discs/downloads since then)

Thats just the sort of thing I had in mind, cheers!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Compilation of well known pieces would be the easy way in. You may find you recognise many of them from use in adverts etc.
Then follow the composers you prefer.

Another pointer could be your preferred music of what you currently listen to, as a guide to scale, dynamics and nuances that grab your attention.

I have had quite a deal of success starting people off on the classics, and I always start in one place.

Bach's Six Brandenburg Concertos. Here is the Second, which is joyful and joyously short! The performance here is my favourite recommendation though I have others I listen to as much, but I do have a few sets to choose from.

HM Linde takes an unfussy and spacious approach that avoids the hard driven way characteristic of all too many Historically Informed Performances.

Once you encounter this music there is going back. It is attractive and accessible. Most people seem to take to it straight away!

Good luck hunting. Best wishes from George

If you are going to invest in ‘Top 40 Classics’ why not listen to Classic FM for free (if you can put up with the dross in between tracks!!)?
For the first time, I actually don’t agree with George! Concentrating on one set of pieces by one composer won’t give you the wide experience that you need.

I absolutely don't say that you concentrate exclusively on Six Bach Concertos, but it does make a wonderful first set of recordings of classical music. Then move onto Haydn's Trumpet Concerto, which is an absolute delight. Look it up on YouTube. I have never heard it played badly. It is joyful and seem like so much great music to be very playable.

You would do worse than investigate some Haydn Symphonies alongside Beethoven and Mozart. Beethoven is loved by many above all others for orchestral music. Not all of his symphonies appeal to me the way they tend to be played these days, though not all modern performances throw the baby out with the bath water in terms of HIP.

In the old days I started some good threads on the Naim Forum concerning this, called:

First Symphonies, First Concertos, and First ... lots of other things. Those threads went on for years and produced many good recommendations from a wide range of tastes, and my first posts in each case gave my own "starters!"

I don't know how well the Naim Forum search works these days, but a quick hunt may turn up what were rather good threads.

Best wishes from George

I encountered the Mahler symphonies in my late teens, and Mahler remains a great love for me 5 decades later, though I'm now familiar with many other composers. I don't get particular pleasure from the Brandenburgs (or from Bach in general) so bear in mind there are no absolutes here, and it is very much a personal journey.

In some ways I think the easy accessibility of recorded music makes things more difficult: When you are less familiar with classical music it can be an acquired taste, in that it may be hard to grasp a particular piece without listening to it many times. In the days when relatively expensive vinyl was the only option, it meant having bought a new record, you tended to listen to it many times over, but now the temptation might be to give up and try something else.

I think alanbeebs idea of a sampler disk (or playlist) is a good one. (Do try Mahler's 1st symphony though!)

Let me save you a lot of time and effort and tell you that this is the symphony - and this is the performance - that you're looking for:

I guess it's about finding a way in which I think might often happen by chance when you hear something that moves you and I'm not sure listening to Classic FM potboilers would do it for me but everybody's different. I just happened to tune in to radio 3 and they were playing the first movement of Schubert's G major string quartet and I was transfixed - that was it for me (some 25 years ago). Bach is also probably as good a place as any to start since his music is beautiful, tuneful and an intellectual challenge - the Matthew Passion was my way in (the opening with Karl Richter in 1958, fabulous). But the ecclesiastical music might be a barrier to many, it is very personal I agree. And I remember not liking Haydn in my twenties thinking he was boring compared to the drama of Mozart and Beethoven but age brings wisdom! Everyone develops their favourites whether that gravitates around a type of music (opera, chamber music), a period (baroque, romantic etc) or particular composers (Schubert is very much still my man, gets to places no one else gets near!).

Schubert - also one of my absolute favourite composers, and I also remember the first time I heard the G major quartet, which had a similar impact. Schubert is up there in the group of the most profound composers, but also very tuneful and approachable. A good introduction would be his Unfinished Symphony.

advertisement

Back