advertisement

Classical Concert chat...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheku_Kanneh-Mason

This chap is now a Young Artist in Residence with the RLPO, and he's very,very good. I heard him play the Elgar cello concerto a couple of weeks ago, and last night he played sonatas by Bocherinni, Poulenc, Debussy & Brahms accompanied by his sister Isata on piano. Demand for the tickets was so much they had to move the performance to the main hall & they got a rapturous reception. Really good emotional playing. My regular seat is row C in the front stalls so I was really close.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheku_Kanneh-Mason

This chap is now a Young Artist in Residence with the RLPO, and he's very,very good. I heard him play the Elgar cello concerto a couple of weeks ago, and last night he played sonatas by Bocherinni, Poulenc, Debussy & Brahms accompanied by his sister Isata on piano. Demand for the tickets was so much they had to move the performance to the main hall & they got a rapturous reception. Really good emotional playing. My regular seat is row C in the front stalls so I was really close.

He has a disconcerting habit of making direct eye contact with people in the audience while he’s playing! I was sitting about ten feet away from him during the Elgar Concerto. I don’t know how he does it and keeps concentration.

Excellent concert at the Phil last night, a very young Singaporean conductor, and Denis Kozhukhin on piano. :)
I thought Thelma Handy was going to push the conductor off the stage when she pushed him forward to take a bow.

https://bachtrack.com/review-dukas-bartok-barber-stravinsky-wong-kozhukhin-rlpo-december-2018

The last paragraph is quite an assumption after one concert ! Andrew Manze has been appointed principle guest conductor & has a great rapport with the orchestra & the audience. Kozhukhin is really good though, seen him a couple of times at Liverpool & once at St Lukes in London

Excellent concert at the Phil last night, a very young Singaporean conductor, and Denis Kozhukhin on piano. :)
I thought Thelma Handy was going to push the conductor off the stage when she pushed him forward to take a bow.

https://bachtrack.com/review-dukas-bartok-barber-stravinsky-wong-kozhukhin-rlpo-december-2018

The last paragraph is quite an assumption after one concert ! Andrew Manze has been appointed principle guest conductor & has a great rapport with the orchestra & the audience. Kozhukhin is really good though, seen him a couple of times at Liverpool & once at St Lukes in London
Andrew Manze is a great conductor, I’d go out of my way to hear him.

Andrew Manze is a great conductor, I’d go out of my way to hear him.
It would be great if he were to take over from Petrenko, I've enjoyed every concert i've been to with Andrew as conductor, the band seem to love him and he has a great rapport with the audience.

Just heard Freddy Kempf perform Rach2 (Ive always wanted to say that- as they do in NY) with the St. Petersburg Philharmonic. Tricky and beautiful.

Last edited:
Last night I was reminded afresh of why real life concerts and recitals are, or at least can be, better than recordings. Young keyboard lion Behzod Abduraimov came to town, and I just had to hear him. I got my front row, center tickets and was seated about ten feet from the Steinway B with my line of sight directly between piano and piano bench.

The very Liszt-heavy evening opened with the Wagner/Liszt Liebestod. Abduraimov went for the superheated approach, reveling in the most virtuosic music, blazing through it. To be sure, he delivered more beautiful and touching playing as required, and this was romantic era music to the core. Next came the reason to attend the recital, the Liszt sonata, in a scorching performance. Abduraimov obviously has technique to burn, and he did. He pushed himself at times, playing with some audible slips in some of the most challenging passages (some dizzying octaves, for instance), but here's a case where that didn't matter one iota. While his average volume level was below that of Joseph Moog (heard in the same hall, in the same seats, and on the same piano), in the loudest fortissimo passages, Abduraimov delivered crushingly loud playing. This all contributed to a sense of musical excitement at least equal to Nelson Freire's 1982 University of Maryland performance. But there was more than high-voltage excitement. Abduraimov backed way off in the quietest, tenderest moments. Perhaps Abduraimov subscribes to the Faust interpretation of the sonata that Igor Kamenz does, perhaps not, so maybe he wanted to portray Gretchen themed music tenderly, or maybe he just wanted to play the music that way, but whatever the motivation or interpretive reasoning, the playing was dreamy and gentle. The fugue? Well, it was a model of clarity and evoked a most satisfying baroque-romantic hybrid. Bringing the whole thing in at a brief timing, Abduraimov delivered one of the greatest renditions of the piece I've heard.

The second half of the recital was devoted to the piano extracts from Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet. The pianist's recording of the Sixth Sonata is pretty much as good as any pianist who might present it now - meaning FFG and Yuja Wang, specifically - and his recording of the Third Concerto can compare with any pianist alive or long dead, so it was not really surprising that he delivered here. Again, he could and did play some of the gentler music with a lovely sound and varied touch, and he could and most certainly did thunder in the loudest passages. His take on the Montagues and Capulets movement was titanically conceived, and would make for a rousing encore.

Writing of encores, Abduraimov returned to Liszt with La Campanella. He delivered another scorcher. Clean, fast, with massive dynamic swings, and some ear-splitting upper register playing for effect, the pianist's affinity for Liszt was clear.

I'd say this is the best recital I'd attend this year, but Benjamin Grosvenor will be here in March to play Kreisleriana.

I also learned last night that no less a pianist than Marc Andre Hamelin will be guest curating next season of Portland Piano International and will be the first pianist to perform. Woe unto me.

Just heard Freddy Kempf perform Rach2 (Ibe always wanted to say that- as they do in NY) with the St. Petersburg Philharmonic. Tricky and beautiful.

Ditto. Very clever and energetic but I don't 'get' Rach at all... Interesting Jazzy encore though and the following Mahler 4 was excellent :)

Ditto. Very clever and energetic but I don't 'get' Rach at all... Interesting Jazzy encore though and the following Mahler 4 was excellent :)
I thought the Mahler was about the strangest I’ve heard. It reminded me of a Wagner recording by Svetlanov and his USSR State Academic Symphony Orchestra. They didn’t put a foot wrong but they made Wagner sound trivial. It felt like Sinaisky and the orchestra could understand German but the dishes on the German menu were alien to them. The soprano was beautiful though and that little piece of Prokofiev as an encore was like a magic zephyr blowing into the hall. I’d have loved an all Russian programme.

Writing of encores, Abduraimov returned to Liszt with La Campanella. He delivered another scorcher. Clean, fast, with massive dynamic swings, and some ear-splitting upper register playing for effect, the pianist's affinity for Liszt was clear.

I'd say this is the best recital I'd attend this year, but Benjamin Grosvenor will be here in March to play Kreisleriana.
Saw Benjamin Grosvenor a week or two ago in Aix, playing Saint-Saens' second concerto with Slatkin/ON Lyon. He made it look soo easy. Still, Saint- Saens is not my favourite, and I preferred the two encores. We got Elgar's First Symphony after the break.

He made it look soo easy.

I've seen him twice already, which is why I must see him again. I've seen him do Chopin's First PC, and then in recital, which included Chopin Ballades, some Ravel, and odds and ends. He does make it look easy. I will make an effort to attend every concert and recital I can when he shows up. The future of ivory tickling is looking bright.

I’d have loved an all Russian programme.

It's strange that whenever I hear some Rach I have the urge to play some Scriabin - which is playing now. I see that the Russian Philharmonic of Novosibirsk is presenting an all Russian concert with Valentina Lisitsa in May, another Sunday Classic. I seem not to have booked it though.

Last night - Janacek's Katya Kabanova , Scottish Opera.

Mixed feelings..... loved the music, Janacek was a genius. Could have been a great staging but it all seemed a bit flat and contrived, and didn't really communicate the story. Suspension of disbelief did not occur. Whereas the same team's Pelleas & Melisande 2 years go was completely compelling.
Singing was good, but would have been happy just to hear the music.

I saw Scottish Opera's previous production of Katya Kabanova 20 years ago - and it was better. Or maybe I was just younger and more amenable then.

Professional reviewers seem to be more positive:
https://bachtrack.com/review-katya-kabanova-janacek-lawless-wilde-scottish-opera-march-2019
https://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/...atya-kabanova-theatre-royal-glasgow-1-4890280
https://glasgowtheatreblog.com/2019...h-opera-katya-kabanova-theatre-royal-glasgow/

2019 Edinburgh Festival pre-programme announcement email received today

https://www.eif.co.uk/

Nothing vital to get excited about other than perhaps the Wagner...and Mahler 2

Bookings later unless you have registered for priority

I came up on the 09:15 from Heathrow on Sunday and spotted a guy at the boarding gate with a double bass in a giant sarcophagus. Then the plane filled up with about 60 musicians with their instrument cases. The RPO headed to Edinburgh for a sold out concert at the Usher Hall with Pinchas Zukerman.

Last night, Arkadi Volodos playing a Schubert (early sonata), Rachmaninoff, Scriabin programme.

I really like the two Volodos records I have (Mompou and Brahms), so wasn't too surprised by his amazing ability to play very slowly and very softly, pppp, yet have the notes carry across a packed concert hall. On stage, he appears very poised, in a serene and statuesque yet unaffected sort of way. Effortless playing *at least he makes it look that way), very concentrated yet light. But I have to confess to feeling somewhat underwhelmed by parts of the evening. Maybe I really don't like Rachmaninoff, or maybe the low key, transparent way he played these pieces removed too much of the fireworks for me.

He was very generous with his encores, which were the best part of the evening for me and included Mompou, Brahms and a mesmering rendition of Bach's transcription of Vivaldi's Sicilian, briefly spoiled by a moron rushing for the exit tripping over my shoes. (How can anyody make a run for the exit in a packed, pitch dark theatre (Mr V likes his lights kept real low) while the Master is in the middle of distilling his magic on stage 40 metres away?)

Last week attended Cuarteto Casals recital in Lörrach, Haydn Op 33 no 3, Beethoven op 131, Purcell and Kurtag. Sound in the hall was fabulous, I was central, fairly far back but two rows in front of me were empty, and blend of the instruments together with the ability to distinguish the voices was perfect. Haydn outer movements were played at breakneck speed, too much so in the first movement for me. Beethoven was good.

Next week more Beethoven: a trip to Freiburg for Missa Solemnis played by Freiburger Barckorchester, Rene Jacobs.

Usher Hall, Edinburgh, tonight - RSNO conducted by Thomas Sondergard

Mozart Piano Concerto 23 with Ingrid Fliter - jolly nice, a very good starter, followed by a Chopin something-or-other for an encore. Glad I came to hear this, it surprised me that the auditorium was less than half full for the first part of the concert.
However, more people turned out for the second half - Mahler 6. I think this is a shame because they missed some damn good Mozart!

Not that they would be disappointed... because the Mahler 6 was an absolute stonker. Magnificent!
There's nothing that I can criticize about the performance, it was totally compelling from beginning to end, all 80 minutes of it. And the orchestra played magnificently too - they are so much better than they were when I first was watching them 25+ years ago. Especially the young percussionist who flitted between timps, triangle and gong throughout the symphony - but there were so many others who excelled themselves, for example I've never really noticed the contrabassoon's contribution so much. Sondergard seems to be doing a good job with the RSNO.

The last Mahler 6 I heard live was the same orchestra conducted by Neeme Jarvi, might have been 1992 or 93, at the time it didn't do a lot for me. We only decide to come to the concert on Tuesday, but still quite a few seats on the night - worrying that if people won't turn out for Mahler, what will they turn out for? Anyway, I'm so glad we went, it was possibly the best live Mahler performance I've yet heard.

advertisement

Back