advertisement

Classical Concert chat...

Nicola Benedetti, Richard Egarr and AoAM playing Vivaldi and Telemann at the weekend. Going out on R3 at 11:00am this morning

I listened to the radio 3 broadcast and as usual Benedetti was a star. When I hear Egarr live in the QH his harpsichord seems to be too faint, this came across on my system. Was the QH PA system used? If so they need to close mic the harpsichord. Or put Pinnock on the case....

I listened to the radio 3 broadcast and as usual Benedetti was a star. When I hear Egarr live in the QH his harpsichord seems to be too faint, this came across on my system. Was the QH PA system used? If so they need to close mic the harpsichord. Or put Pinnock on the case....
I don’t think his harpsichord is miced/amped for the venue. The R3 broadcast sound was good though- interesting to hear the instruments spotlit, whereas in the audience you get a lot of reflections/ hall sound. You could hear all the nuances of her encore on R3 (RV583), which is a beautifully subtle piece of playing. It’s the same with the theorbo- I haven’t a clue what’s being played on it because it’s inaudible in the orchestra. The continuo for Barber of Seville the other night was amplified though.
The Goldbergs played by Mahan Isfahani on harpsichord at St.Cecilia’s a year or two ago, was a challenging experience for me- I need to get closer to the instrument than I was.

Thanks I'm down for the Pavel Haas Quartet on 22nd sitting in my usual seat in the Rear Stalls, Yes the hall is very reflective, but that mirrors my HiFi. I'm not used to the PA being used. I have a few Usher Hall concerts booked, the next being LSO under Rattle doing Mahler 9 on Saturday. I hope that there is no clapping at he end of the first movement.

Simon Rattle & LSO at the conclusion of Mahler 9. I didn’t open my eyes at all during the last movement.

dpd46o.jpg

And tonight, a slight change of direction,
30k94xl.jpg

I was amused at the end when the players turned their backs on us in the main auditorium to acknowledge you chaps at the back....:)

No conductors score was visible, Rattle did it all from memory.

Last edited:
Petrenko with the Oslo Philharmonic last night. This is the best orchestral playing of the Festival for me so far and I include Rattle with the LSO. I’d thought it was my hearing was getting worse until last night when all the textures of Strauss’s Don Juan were pulled into sharp focus by exceptional ensemble and control of dynamics.

2ynmoe9.jpg

They’ve gone from strength to strength, even after the great era of Mariss Jansons 30 years ago.

Petrenko with the Oslo Philharmonic last night. This is the best orchestral playing of the Festival for me so far and I include Rattle with the LSO. I’d thought it was my hearing was getting worse until last night when all the textures of Strauss’s Don Juan were pulled into sharp focus by exceptional ensemble and control of dynamics.

They’ve gone from strength to strength, even after the great era of Mariss Jansons 30 years ago.

Never mind the Strauss, what was the Prokofiev 6th like? Its been on my list to hear live for years, one of the 10 best C.20th symphonies - and I missed it!

Never mind the Strauss, what was the Prokofiev 6th like? Its been on my list to hear live for years, one of the 10 best C.20th symphonies - and I missed it!
It was beautifully performed like the Strauss, again all the textures were brought out- a symphony Im not familiar with and structurally interesting. I kept thinking ‘what the hell is he (Prokofiev) going to do next?’.

The Maggio at the weekend,

vzhhjt.jpg

The new house is a radical piece of architecture and acoustic engineering. That horse shoe is wall round the grand circle, with the underside of the the cantilevered seating area visible. You can see what looks like grey fabric over what I’d assumed to be concrete surfaces- it’s not. When you look closer you can see large voids behind the ‘fabric’ which itself is really fine chainmail!
The acoustic is pin sharp and you can hear fine orchestral and singing detail even when it’s ppp.

bit3f9.jpg

Fabio Luisi ( The Met’s loss and Florence’s gain) and his cast for La Traviata.
The amazing Zuzana Markova-
https://www.connessiallopera.it/tag/zuzana-markova/

Heads up: Glasgow Cathedral Festival is on this week with various free/ ticketed programmes on offer at the cathedral and elsewhere in Glasgow. Lunchtime recitals are at 1pm in the cathedral and are unticketed so I'm going to catch one. Although there are quite a few ticketed events, some are free as well - you just have to book in advance. Click here to visit the website (you can also click here to see an online version of the programme as the Festival's website doesn't seem to show a simple schedule view).

I'm just back from today's lunchtime recital at Glasgow Cathedral featuring a programme of eight pieces performed by the Genovia Quartet (an all-female quartet of bassoon players). The first piece was the Overture from The Magic Flute, which I quite enjoyed (in fact, I tell you what, hearing it today makes me think Mozart was a better composer than I usually give him credit for, so well done Wolfgang!) and the last piece was an arrangement of a jazz piece by Raymond Scott, which I also really enjoyed. The other pieces were pleasant enough, but that's about all I can say about them so I won't bother listing them. All in all, a relaxed, intimate affair that was worth the price of admission :)

44841749974_9ca82f7037_c.jpg

I'm just back from today's lunchtime recital at Glasgow Cathedral featuring a programme of eight pieces performed by the Genovia Quartet (an all-female quartet of bassoon players). The first piece was the Overture from The Magic Flute, which I quite enjoyed (in fact, I tell you what, hearing it today makes me think Mozart was a better composer than I usually give him credit for, so well done Wolfgang!) and the last piece was an arrangement of a jazz piece by Raymond Scott, which I also really enjoyed. The other pieces were pleasant enough, but that's about all I can say about them so I won't bother listing them. All in all, a relaxed, intimate affair that was worth the price of admission :)

44841749974_9ca82f7037_c.jpg
A bassoon quartet!? That’s brilliant - I love bassoon.

I
I tell you what, hearing it today makes me think Mozart was a better composer than I usually give him credit for, so well done Wolfgang!
I’d like to agree with you regarding his compositional deficiencies but, sadly,I think we’d be in a minority of two.:D

Next week JEG conducting the ORR/ Monteverdi Choir in the Verdi Requiem at the Concertgebouw then the Saint Seans Organ Symphony with Michel Plasson and the Rotterdam Philharmonic. I’ve booked seats right in front of the organ pipes. God ‘elp us...

Last edited:
Sitting waiting for the R3 Thur Afternoon recorded concert with the BBC SSO- Rossini overtures and songs and Tchaikovsky 6.

1zdcjlx.jpg

I’ve got a Rossini thing going on this year. Interesting microphone array.

According to Verdi ( and JEG) hell will sound like-
xliezd.jpg

JEG comes back on. I’ve never seen an entire audience get to its feet simultaneously at the end of a performance before-
16h7n1j.jpg

Last edited:
Home of the Rotterdam Philharmonic, De Doelen, dating from 1966, with echoes of the RFH. 85 year old Michel Plasson conducted an all French programme inc the San Saens Organ Symphony.

15iafkl.jpg

A fantastic acoustic

2zfk94h.jpg

Last edited:

advertisement

Back