advertisement

Classical Concert chat...

Mark Drobinsky was a name unknown to me until yesterday - a search reveals that he studied under Slava, won at least one international competition and taught for a while in Moscow. Now living in Paris, maybe he is better known in Europe - or I simply have'nt come across him before. (Lots of performances on Youtube).
Together with Marie-Martine Bollman he gave a recital at the little local village/concert hall near here of Schumann, Rachmaninov and Franck, plus four encores.
Have to say it was the most enjoyable evening I've had in years - absolutely outstanding playing by both, full of lyricism, wit and humour and both obviously enjoying themselves. Fabulous!

Royal Philharmonic conducted by Rafael Payere Tuesday night- an outrageously good Strauss Don Quixote

123myh0.jpg

Two of the dble bass players on early to warm up for the coming Strauss onslaught in Don Juan that opened the concert.

At the Basel Munster yesterday evening, with the Basel Sinfonieorchester and various singers under Mark Elder, performing the third act of Parsifal. We were in the cheap seats with very restricted view and odd acoustics, but still very powerful and moving.

Last night a very good Haydn Symphony No.93 and the CPE Bach cello concerto from the SCO conducted by Richard Egarr. Philip Higham is a fine cellist. He gave an beautiful encore from the Bach cello suites. The Mendelssohn Symphony was less successful- nothing like the razor sharp ensemble playing of the Haydn.

2417zww.jpg

Last edited:
Parsifal in Helsinki last night. Harry Kupfer’s remarkable production, very similar to his 1992 Berlin staging with Barenboim at the Berlin Staatsoper. The man’s been directing Opéra since the year before I was born!
2mceu5h.jpg

Mahler 9 next week (Edinburgh on Friday and Glasgow on Saturday). I'm working 9-5 on Saturday so it might be a tight squeeze to get home, freshen up and all that, then head into town for the concert. I don't fancy going there straight after work so I'll have to play it by ear. btw, I haven't bought a ticket yet - I'll just buy one on the night if I can get things to work out all right on the night.

^ I might be going to the Edinburgh performance if we can find a babysitter.
Update... Definitely going Friday night, tickets bought mid stalls.
Looks like Wurth Philharmonic concert on Sunday 3rd is almost sold out, Maxim Vengerov performing Bruch's 1st violin cto, then conducting Shostakovich 10th.... Could be interesting.

Last edited:
Went to see RSNO performing Mahler 9th with Peter Oundijian conducting - his last concerts as chief conductor. It was OK. Kind of messy and undifferentiated sound, we were in mid-stalls which normally sounds good in Usher Hall. Finale was the best movement, strings were really on song. This is the 5th time I have heard Mahler's 9th live and I think its mid table...

1st - Benjamin Zander/RSNO - Edinburgh 2001 - Zander was last-minute stand-in for Neeme Jarvi and the orchestra played their hearts out for him
2nd - Michael Tilson Thomas/LSO - Basingstoke 1995 - perfectly executed, delicious accoustics in the Basingstoke Anvil
3rd - tonight
4th - Danielle Gatti/Concertgebouw - Edinburgh Festival 2013 - great orchestra but dull & lacklustre performance
5th - James Loughran/RSNO - Edinburgh 1992 - Bit of a formless mess of a performance, and RSNO were at a very low ebb at the time.

I was tempted but dislike Oundjian, I'm glad he has gone he always seemed to be second rate to me. Thomas Sondergard is his replacement and I have booked many tickets for the next season, thinking about signing into the Circle again :)

I'm just home from work and although I could still make it - still giving myself enough time to freshen up and have a bite to eat - I've decided to give Mahler 9 a miss. I would have gone if I'd been off work today or if the performance in Edinburgh last night had been described as spectacular by Alan rather than average. It's also one of the Mahler symphonies I get on with rather than adore, so I would have made the effort for the second symphony, no question, but the ninth? Tonight? I'll just look out a CD and make do accordingly.

...and the funny thing was, I was sat there last night thinking I could be listening to this at home sat in my own space without the asthmatic behind me, with a glass of wine in my hand and be enjoying it more than this!

But OTOH... If we give up on live music, it will die.

Next season's RSNO programme looks like a belter, top class soloists, lots of new music too.

Just on my way home from Yuja Wang at the Barbican.

Can honestly say it was the greatest piano playing I have heard in my life.

That sounds interesting, coming from you. What did she play ?
Load of Rachmaninov and Scriabin in the 1st half, plus Ligeti (which was astoundingly played).

2nd half was Prokofiev 8 which I thought more than equalled my Richter record of it.

Then 7 (yes seven) encores, including the Horovitz Carmen Variations only played faster and more accurately!

I know these upstarts are often said to be all technique and no depth...but from where I was sitting I really didn't get that. I thought it was insightful and musical playing...along with possibly the best piano technique of all time! Did I mention the dress?

Jérémie Rhorer’s score after conducting his very fine period instrument ensemble Le Cercle de l’Harmonie in the Barber of Seville.

2s9eh03.jpg

I have to ask Hugh, have you been a moonlighting as a conductor of late? You seem to be able to get up close and personal with far too many scores on the podium to pass it off as sheer coincidence, divine providence or simple serendipity! So come now, what have you been up to in your spare time??? ;)

I have to ask Hugh, have you been a moonlighting as a conductor of late? You seem to be able to get up close and personal with far too many scores on the podium to pass it off as sheer coincidence, divine providence or simple serendipity! So come now, what have you been up to in your spare time??? ;)
Ha! Derek, I usually sit in the centre front row these days because of my hearing- I just lean over and snap.

Nicola Benedetti, Richard Egarr and AoAM playing Vivaldi and Telemann at the weekend. Going out on R3 at 11:00am this morning
33c8xmf.jpg

You can just see R3’s Donald MacLeod sitting at his live broadcast consul up in the far right corner.

Very long selfie stick?

advertisement

Back