advertisement

Classical Concert chat...

Prelude Act 3. He's got his stickies on-

2hp37uh.jpg

Tonight's the night, friends. Mahler's 3rd Symphony is in town tonight (Royal Concert Hall, Glasgow) and although I don't have a ticket yet, I'm going no matter what - even if I have to climb over the turnstiles!

Fwiw, it's being recorded by the BBC for broadcast on Monday evening on Radio 3 at 7.30pm - link

If any other fishies are going, I hope you have a great time as I expect I will :cool:

I saw the Mahler 3 last night at the Usher Hall. The orchestra was larger than usual and sounded great, no mics on stage so a very pure sound. Well worth seeing, even though Mahler does go on and on a bit in the 3rd.:) Enjoy

I'm just home after attending the M3 and on the whole, it was an enjoyable experience - especially as I got in for free: a very nice young woman with a spare ticket overheard me asking one of the staff which queue do I join to buy a ticket (apparently one queue was for new tickets and the other for collections) and she very kindly gave me her spare ticket and wouldn't take a penny for it. Thank you, kind stranger, whoever you are.

My seat was at the very front, a smidge to the right of the rostrum. It might not have been perfect for sonics, but I got a good look at the orchestra at any rate and took a couple of pics before the performance began.

The lead violinist was located about six feet to my left, and the tones from his playing were sweet to say the least - as was the playing of others as well as the mezzo-soprano's vocals. I felt there were occasions when the orchestra wasn't performing as one, however, but I reckon that's because I was too close to take in the bigger picture as it were.

Apart from the less than ideal sonics - which were free, after all - the only other let down was the quick onset of applause at the end. It wasn't as bad as the one that followed Bernstein's performance in the video above, but I would have liked another ten seconds or so of silence to let the final moment sink in. Oh, and the guy who was sitting to my immediate left clapped louder than the timpani, so that was a bit annoying as well.

Anyway, a great night all round and I look forward to going back for more...

Went to see WNO doing Madam Butterfly last night at the Hippodrome in Birmingham. Not sure the acoustics are right for Puccini, being a bit dry, but otherwise it was very good. You almost wondered if Pinkerton wasn't in fact a total git by the end of act 1...

I didn't see it live, but Tom Urie (the erstwhile other 'Big Yin' from Glasgow) put on a pretty decent performance of Nessun Dorma at Glasgow Green on Saturday as part of the Proms in the Park. Click here to see it for yourself.

The problem with harpsichords and several baroque instruments- the need for continual retuning as the venues and their temperature and humidity shift.

Richard Eggar's instrument with the OAE-

e9uhbn.jpg

Went to see Rattle and the LSO perform all three of Stravinsky's major ballet scores in one evening. Bonkers. Rattle did it all from memory, and that included the full Firebird ballet (not just the usual suite).

I almost didn't go, as the marketing hype around This is Rattle was getting a bit much, but glad I did. It was a great evening. First, it was a great reminder of how dramatically Stravinsky's music evolved in just 3 years, from gifted Rimsky-Korsakov disciple to revolutionary genius of 20th century music. Second, the LSO was on fine form, with shimmering strings and excellent wind sections successfully overcoming the dodgy acoustics of the Barbican. The Firebird was beautifully lush; Petrushka and The Rites of Spring were dynamic without being rushed, detailed without being clinical. Rattle's tempi in the RoS were sometimes quite measured but he got the savagery from the orchestra when needed (especially at the end of the first half). I think Salonen's RoS last year with the Philharmonia might have just edged this one, but overall it was a great evening. Was live on R3 so available now on iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09525cl

Bryn Terfel, concert performance of Die Walküre last month. Andrew Davis conducting

2a8kobm.jpg

Cast includes
Christine Goerke Brünnhilde
Amber Wagner Sieglinde
Karen Cargill Fricka
Simon O'Neill Siegmund
Bryn Terfel Wotan
Matthew Rose Hunding

Operas this year-

Meistersingers, Covent Garden
Aida, Verona
Die Walkure, EIF
Don Giovanni, EIF
Macbeth, EIF
Boheme, EIF
Carmen, Madrid next month

From four years ago, dress rehearsal of National Opéra of Greece’s Othello. Iago in front of the Venetian lion on that amazing set, took a flier and ended up on his face!

29du1rb.jpg

Nasani’s score for Act 1 of Salome, Covent Garden in January this year, Malin Byström in the title role was incredible. Hope to hear her at Stockholm in May.

mrfpkh.jpg

Next stop Rosenkavalier at Royal Swedish Opéra and the Lahti Symphony Orchestra in Finland.

advertisement

Back