advertisement

Classical Concert chat...

On the coach home from Symphony Hall, where 51 trippers from Shropshire heard Mahler 10 (Cooke) conducted by Robert Trevino, who stood in for Mirga at short notice and will take the CBSO to Leipzig to repeat the performance on Sunday at the Gewandhaus. Nothing else on the programme - and any other music would have been utterly superfluous.

Trevino was in no sense a substitute - it was a fine, completely realised performance of a shattering work. The concert of the year so far, just as I thought it might be... and the general feeling on the coach is that Maestro Trevino can come again :cool:

May 7th RAH 150th anniversary of Royal Choral Society - including many coronation items and especially enjoyed Holst "Hymn to Jesus".

May 10th Barbican Guildhall Gold Medal - 4 wonderful singers, great accompanists & orchestra.
Winner sang in French, Greek, Italian & Polish.

May 20th Barbican cinema - Met relay of Don Giovanni - modern production that worked well.
Wonderful cast.

June 14th Sasha Regan's all male G&S The Mikado at Wilton's Music Hall, London - a complete scream.

June 16th Hansel & Gretel by Englebert Humperdink at Opera Holland Park - their Young Artists performance - a wonderful staging & very entertaining show.

June 17th "Assassins" by Sondheim at Chichester Festival Theatre. One of the best productions of a Sondheim musical I have ever seen with very apposite political settings for both the USA & here.

Thursday 22nd RNCM 50th anniversary bash
15/16/17th July Buxton International Festival, one musical, two operas.

Looking forward to this- private recital by Skip Sempe on the 1750 Franco-Flemish Golden harpsichord restored by someone I know.

dMC8LqU.jpg

Venue 1590 merchant’s house Edinburgh

KLpo0WZ.jpg

YCmOipJ.jpg

What a remarkable sound, with lots of body. Previously I’ve struggled to hear harpsichord, infamously Isfahani performing the Goldbergs a short distance from this venue, but this instrument was a bruiser among harpsichords.

Last edited:
https://www.liverpoolphil.com/news/...r-with-royal-liverpool-philharmonic-orchestra

https://www.medici.tv/en/concerts/d...sierra-ginastera-royal-liverpool-philharmonic

https://www.artscityliverpool.com/s...doyan-extends-liverpool-philharmonic-contract

https://twitter.com/TheForeverBells/status/1677989496887836673

A fantastic concert on Saturday at the Phil included the news that Domingo Hindoyan has extended his contract for another 3 years and a moving farewell to principal percussionist Graham Johns after 40 years of making music. The concert will be available on Medici from Wednesday.

Cheltenham Music Festival. Dunedin Consort in the Pittville Pump room, all Bach programme. Violin Concerto in A minor, Solo Cantata BWV170, Brandenburg no 4. All excellent. Although I must have heard the Brandenburg hundreds of times on recordings, I think this is the first time I have heard it live. Small forces mean that for once I could really hear the harpsichord in the continuo. Sadly, many empty seats!

Saturday 22nd at Opera Holland Park for Jonathan Dove's "Itch" from Simon Mayo's books. The first Opera where the periodic table of elements is a driving force. Great production.

A couple of Glyndebourne experiences -
28/7 Handel's "Semele" - great singing, playing & pyrotechnics.
7/8 Poulenc "Dialogue of the Carmelites" at the RAH - wonderful performance on the annual Proms visit.

The most bonkers performance of any symphony I been to. Ivan Fischer ( the culprit) and the Budapest Festival Orchestra. Seating taken out, orchestra in the stalls, audience sitting amongst the players. “Now you get to hear it like the musicians do, not with the beautiful balance where you usually sit”.

o0XCYRT.jpg

A couple of Glyndebourne experiences -
7/8 Poulenc "Dialogue of the Carmelites" at the RAH - wonderful performance on the annual Proms visit.
I listened to the live broadcast wondering beforehand if this might be one of those operas that do not engage me as an audio only experience.

I was prepared to bail out and listen to something else, but I agree that the performance was excellent and I remained engaged for the entire opera.

The most bonkers performance of any symphony I been to. Ivan Fischer ( the culprit) and the Budapest Festival Orchestra. Seating taken out, orchestra in the stalls, audience sitting amongst the players. “Now you get to hear it like the musicians do, not with the beautiful balance where you usually sit”. ...
An interesting experience for sure. However, I have some Health and Safety audio exposure reports for orchestral musicians and there are certainly some places in an orchestra playing some pieces of music where I would insist on deploying my Etymotic musician's earplugs.

Edinburgh Festival tonight - Korean Broadcasting Service Symphony Orchestra, with their Finnish chief conductor Pietari Inkinen.

Firstly..... after last year's fiasco at Mahler 3/RSNO, I'm really going to have to consider if i want to keep going to the Edinburgh Festival concerts as people's behavior seems to be unbound nowadays. Someone had brought a toddler with them, and the little one engaged him/herself in conversation throughout the concert. Well, I have to say I'm sure he or she was a lovely child and never seemed unhappy or upset, and was admirably quiet 90% of the time..... but the 10% of the time they were not quiet was a serious detriment to the concert. :(

I mean... why bring a toddler to a classical concert ? they would have been much happier at home with a babysitter.

Anyway... first up, Dvorak Cello Concerto with Jaemin Han on the Cello. Its one of my favourites.... but this was pretty lame tbh. Jaemin Han was good, but the orchestra were underpowered and made a mess of several entries. The person sitting behind me hummed along for the slow movement tune but I silenced him with a black look. that'll teach him! After all that, I wasn't really expecting much of the 2nd half....

Tchaikovsky's 5th..... yes it was a very mainstream programme, maybe a missed opportunity for the KBS SO to bring some contemporary Korean music with them? Anyway, back to Tchaikovsky. Glad we stayed! Wow - much better, the orchestra seemed much more fluent and comfortable, very energized - for a symphony that I regard as a bit "meh" this was a very engaging performance that I very much enjoyed. So not an entirely wasted evening.

Just learned that tonight's conductor Pietari Inkinen has just finished conducting the Ring at Bayreuth this summer.

Edinburgh Festival tonight - Korean Broadcasting Service Symphony Orchestra, with their Finnish chief conductor Pietari Inkinen.

Firstly..... after last year's fiasco at Mahler 3/RSNO, I'm really going to have to consider if i want to keep going to the Edinburgh Festival concerts as people's behavior seems to be unbound nowadays. Someone had brought a toddler with them, and the little one engaged him/herself in conversation throughout the concert. Well, I have to say I'm sure he or she was a lovely child and never seemed unhappy or upset, and was admirably quiet 90% of the time..... but the 10% of the time they were not quiet was a serious detriment to the concert. :(

I mean... why bring a toddler to a classical concert ? they would have been much happier at home with a babysitter.

Anyway... first up, Dvorak Cello Concerto with Jaemin Han on the Cello. Its one of my favourites.... but this was pretty lame tbh. Jaemin Han was good, but the orchestra were underpowered and made a mess of several entries. The person sitting behind me hummed along for the slow movement tune but I silenced him with a black look. that'll teach him! After all that, I wasn't really expecting much of the 2nd half....

Tchaikovsky's 5th..... yes it was a very mainstream programme, maybe a missed opportunity for the KBS SO to bring some contemporary Korean music with them? Anyway, back to Tchaikovsky. Glad we stayed! Wow - much better, the orchestra seemed much more fluent and comfortable, very energized - for a symphony that I regard as a bit "meh" this was a very engaging performance that I very much enjoyed. So not an entirely wasted evening.

Just learned that tonight's conductor Pietari Inkinen has just finished conducting the Ring at Bayreuth this summer.
Had a 4 yr old talking through Andras Schiff’s recital (mercifully left at the interval). A group of Koreans I think, with ruck sacks getting out of their seats repeatedly to take selfies before the Budapest FO concert started. They got the guy at the end of the row to get out of his seat by looking at him, prodding him and flipping their hand upwards impatiently. One of their mobile phones went off during the performance. Later the couple behind me started opening a bag of sweets. Her husband began coughing loudly without attempting to muffle it during the violinist’s solo encore, then bored near the end they started a conversation at normal speaking volume. I’m pretty sure the phenomenon is getting worse.

advertisement

Back