Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Classical Concert chat...

Discussion in 'classical' started by windhoek, Oct 3, 2015.

1. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

If that bug carries on spreading - and it probably will for some time - I can see a lot more events being cancelled. I've no idea how bad things will get but at least we got to see some concerts. I hadn't planned on going to any more this season, but hopefully for - everybody's sake and not just mine - business as normal will resume after the summer break.

marshanp likes this.
  2. herb

herb music live

RSNO Friday night concerts available on their RSNO online site. Here is Beethoven 3 with ab introduction by Norrington - His views on how Beethoven should be performed!

windhoek likes this.
  3. herb

herb music live

4. alanbeeb

alanbeeb pfm Member

A chamber-size reduction of Mahler's 7th? I'll be watching that with interest.

5. windhoek

I wrote the above on this corresponding Saturday last year - 7th March 2020 - and boy, does it feel a long time ago. The chaos came... and went and came... and went and came...

Hopefully, a year down the line, we're close to normality, or the new normality, rather, as I can see some restrictions being in place for some time to come. Well done everyone for surviving so far - may you all survive far longer still!

6. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

That must feel like a decade ago! The brass crescendo in Also Sprach fanfare would be regarded as a superspreader phenomenon these days.

windhoek likes this.
  7. windhoek

Yeah, it was a great night and now seems like a long time ago for sure. Hopefully, with a bit of luck, we'll be back in venues towards the end of the year. Mmm, come to think of it, when it does happen it'll probably be along the lines of a symphony orchestra playing for a chamber-sized audience! It'll also probably be a long time before Mahler's 2nd is performed live again but as long as we make a start I'll take it :)

8. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Ca you imagine the looks a coughing fit will attract in the GRCH?

9. windhoek

Yep, lots of screaming and running for the hills!!! I think Tunes could easily create a smart new ad campaign when the time comes.

10. marshanp

marshanp ellipsis addict

Hi-fi has been a great solace over the past 15 months... but there ain't nothing like live orchestral music. I went yesterday to one of the CBSO's pilot season of Wednesday concerts for a socially distanced audience (600 of Symphony Hall's 2262 seats available), and it was wonderful.

The Symphony Hall stage has been flattened out and most of the choir seats removed to maximise room. This probably makes it the largest stage available to a socially distanced orchestra in the UK. The audience is asked to enter the hall at least 30 minutes before the start time.

From the stalls the three of us couldn't see the rear of the orchestra, but the sound was just as good as we remember and every player was on fine form. The strings were reduced, I think, by one desk per section; each string player had their own music stand. Harp, celeste, tuba and percussion were all audibly present and correct.

We heard Britten's Nocturne sung by Ian Bostridge, and then (with no interval) Malcolm Arnold's 5th symphony. We were at the matinee; each Wednesday's programme is being given at 14:00 and again at 18:30. The conductor was CBSO stalwart Michael Seal, and he did a terrific job. The symphony is one that I know very well - I have five recordings - yet still I heard new sounds and, in places, a vehemence which is just not reproducible at home. It was a very fine performance, and those of us there gave it as much applause as we could manage between us - it's hard when there aren't enough of you!

Then out into the sunshine, and an enjoyable meal at the New Street Wagamama before the train home... altogether a great outing :)

Let's hope that the news on June 14th is positive and that either concerts for much larger audiences become possible, or that a formal system of subsidy allowing concerts to continue to be given to limited audiences is announced.

windhoek likes this.
  11. windhoek

Terrific news! While I do enjoy watching Mahler symphonies performed 'live' by Abbado Lucerne FO on blu ray, I completely agree it's no comparison to the real thing, a real orchestra playing to a real audience in a real venue. As such, I never bothered to catch any streaming concerts during lockdown. But hopefully, it won't be long before live concerts are back up here in Glasgow as well. Great post marshanp, it's made my day :)

marshanp likes this.
  12. herb

herb music live

Bookings for the Edinburgh Festival events starts tomorrow at 10am. I bet most of them are already sold out by now...

https://www.eif.co.uk/

13. marshanp

marshanp ellipsis addict

I see that the orchestral concerts and opera are outdoors (but under cover of some sort) at the Edinburgh Academy Junior School. A slightly risky proposition in Britain, even in August.

I wonder when the Usher Hall will open again? And the halls in Glasgow? We used to make annual trips to both cities in the olden days...

14. herb

herb music live

EIF did a survey and the outdoor events idea was popular. I guess high winds or heavy rain could be a problem.

Usher Hall tickets are available from 30 Aug. None of the 'shows' are classical music though and prices are high.