advertisement

Classical Concert chat...

And the winner is... Pergolesi and Sabat Mater (yeah, wooh, crowd cheering etc).

I'm not sure whether Bach's cello suite was transcribed for violin but what was played on the night was something by Bach, er, for violin - no cello required. Either way, it was quite nice. But Sabat Mater was just fantastic. The soundstage was great and the singers seemed in top form. It was an intimate evening as the audience didn't really turn up - their loss - but what a night it was all the same :)

Some great programming coming up at Symphony Hall, Birmingham next season... Mirga is becoming a very interesting conductor :cool:

Britten Sinfonia da Requiem on September 26th
Ruth Gipps 2nd Symphony on October 2nd - to hear this live has been a fantasy before now!
Bruckner 6 on March 10th (her first Bruckner? first at Birmingham, anyway - and what a good choice to do the 6th)
a mixed Debussy/Varese programme on May 7th

Hard to express how pleased and excited I am... I'll be there for all of these :)

Second recitalist to cancel at Edinburgh Festival. Beatrice Rana should have been performing Stravinsky tomorrow at the Queens Hall and she’s cancelled. Steven Osbourne is going to perform Messiaen: Selection from Vingt Regards sur l'Enfant-Jésus.
I’m afraid I swore I’d never sit through that again after enduring him perform the bloody lot about 10 years ago.

At least you are getting Schubert D.960. Who else has cancelled?
Christine Goerke pulled out of her recital, though she’s still singing Götterdämmerung. Her recital has been replaced by Amber Wagner who is magnificent.
I checked Radio 3 this morning and the Messiaen is first so I’m going at the interval. Both LAPO concerts under Dudamel were great, the Festival chorus in Mahler 2 particularly. Christopher Bell seems to have been replaced which I didn’t know about.

*******! Put on R3 and Osbourne has started with the Schubert D.960 contrary to the R3 listing, so I’m not going to the venue at the interval. Hilariously Osbourne gave an introduction saying “some of you might feel the urge to leave at the interval” (once they’ve had the first part of the Messiaen).

Waiting for Rachel Podger to take the stage (accompanied by keyboard and theobro) to perform Biber’s Rosenkranz Sonatas.
via Imgflip Meme Generator.
She had four violins in Scordatura tunings rather than retune after each piece. One of the most magical concerts I’ve ever attended. Shut my eyes and almost fell of my seat twice- utterly hypnotic. I was only about five feet away from her.

Dudamel, Yuja Wang leaving the stage after John Adams’ Must The Devil Have All The Good Tunes?

via Imgflip Meme Generator

I walked past John Eliot Gardiner on the way to my seat.

Is it my imagination or is the Usher Hall stage now too small for some pieces. The LA Phil Mahler 2 stage was too crowded, 100+ musicians?. I can't remember if the new Edinburgh concert hall stage will be bigger, interesting times...

Is it my imagination or is the Usher Hall stage now too small for some pieces. The LA Phil Mahler 2 stage was too crowded, 100+ musicians?. I can't remember if the new Edinburgh concert hall stage will be bigger, interesting times...
The new hall will be tiny by comparison- strictly chamber music sized. You should see how small the site is they’re putting it up on.

Replacement for the Queens Hall for the SCO with 360 deg audience then I suppose. Looking forward to it. Where's the money coming from I wonder, some trust?

Edit Ah RBS and Dunard but the lawyers are making money with disputes

Replacement for the Queens Hall for the SCO with 360 deg audience then I suppose. Looking forward to it. Where's the money coming from I wonder, some trust?

Edit Ah RBS and Dunard but the lawyers are making money with disputes
I think it’ll be a great addition. The Usher Hall is too big for smaller scale stuff like solo recitals and particularly Baroque. The Queen’s Hall can’t be upgraded further due to finite space. So for me the prospect of hearing Baroque in a modern acoustic space is very appealing.

Just heard Joyce Didonato give the Berlioz Les Nuits D’ete with Papano and the NYOUSA. Nipped out for a beverage and saw James Naughtie had the same idea. The Shakespeare is too handy. The man should get a knighthood for the Jeremy Chunt episode

Sir James MacMillan takes the applause after Quickening, his massive orchestral- choral work for six solo voices (countertenor, tenor, baritone) children’s choir and the Edinburgh Festival Chorus. RSNO conducted by Edward Gardner.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

The only way I can describe Quickening is that it perhaps has its roots in the great tradition of Elgar oratorio but with the orchestral forces and pallet ( including tuned percussion closer to gamelan) of Mahler and with the choral music of Ligeti. The libretto McMillan has used is itself remarkable. This is a landmark British composition written at the end of the century both Mahler and Elgar themselves briefly inhabited.

advertisement

Back