advertisement

Classic Tannoys for a modest sized room

I’m going to look at a pair of Tannoy Edinburgh TW speakers next week, they’re for sale. This may be a stupid question, but what should I do? I mean, listen to them, obviously. But is there anything I should look out for on the inside, as it were?

I’m going to look at a pair of Tannoy Edinburgh TW speakers next week, they’re for sale. This may be a stupid question, but what should I do? I mean, listen to them, obviously. But is there anything I should look out for on the inside, as it were?

given they have rubber surrounds (me thinks), they should be only checked for obvious signs of damage of cone or similar. could be some caps would benefit from refreshment but it shouldn't be dramatic. it's a lovely speaker and a nice piece of furniture too.

Having seen and heard the new Lockwood Tannoys at Goodwood, I would strongly recommend giving them a listen. The owner is a very approachable guy

We have many Lockwood tannoy in stock that would suite your needs and can offer home demo if you not to far away

So how did the audition go?

I heard three. Two pairs of Lancasters and a pair of Edinburghs.

One pair of Lancasters was being sold off the back of a truck in a garage, they were beaten up and I couldn't hear them properly.

The Edinburghs were more impressive but the listening environment was very poor, a small flat stuffed with equipment. I couldn't tell a thing really and I certainly wan't bowled over. He was a dealer, he didn't want to let me hear them in my home before deciding, even though home is only 10 miles from him. I don't like that -- not for a £3K purchase.

The other pair of Lancasters were in the flat of someone who posts here. They sounded great, but not greater than my ESL 63s, certainly not the ESLs with subs. Or at least that was my impression just listening for about half an hour.

Anyway I've put it on a back burner, and I've got subs working very well with my ESL 63s -- you know the person I bought the Gradient (clones) from -- and that sorts out their bass limitations at least in the short term.

advertisement

Back