advertisement

Classic Tannoy Dual Concentric DIY Supertweeter

Radfordman

pfm Member
I (foolishly) parted with my Tannoy 12” Silver Dual Concentics about 35 years ago, when I found I cold make speakers that went up higher and go down lower. That was impressive to me.

However, recently I have bought a pair of Tannoy HPD315’s (12”) and after sorting out a couple of small problems, I am enjoying the advantages of the marvellous integration of the tweeter and bass unit.

I have also recently purchased, but not received as yet, a pair of Tannoy Sensys DC1 Dual Concentric speakers, and notice that they use a supertweeter above the horn loaded tweeter.

Not wanting to purchase the expensive Tannoy add on supertweeter, I thought that I would try something myself.

I first used a pair of Audax tweeters out of some JPW Mini Monitors and fed them via 0.47 uF capacitors. This seemed to work quite well, but good as this budget tweeter is, it’s a tiny bit rough at the top end.

Next, I tried some small soft dome tweeter from some JPW Gold Monitors, these are a slightly better tweeter. I used the same 0.47 uF capacitor in series with each unit.

The polarity of the units was determined by playing white noise and noting which way round gave increased output.

The results are very good and I am now thinking of how to permanently mount the supertweeters

advertisement

Back