advertisement

classic rock cd recommendations

muzzer

Numb Nut
This is a bit of a post script to my last thread.I am on a bit of a nostalga trip at the moment and am looking to buy cds from my youth, mainly 70' classic rock free/sabbath/ac/dc/ etc,etc.I would like recommendations on cd's that sound good not crap transfers that sound awfull like some early 80's cd's did.Not much point spending a shedload of cash on a good system to play shit sounding media on.
ps anyone heard the cd version of Sheffield Steel by Joe Cocker I remember the vinyl version sounded superb.

Have you tried Led Zeppelin's How the West Was Won. Live tracks and you can now hear Johns drums coming through. By the way thanks for recommending Chevin Audio going for a demo Tuesday. Hope this helps and good hunting.

I'm pretty fussy about CD transfers. I heard Sheffield Steel played through Genki, Meridian 508 and a Naim something-or-other a year or two back. Didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as my vinyl copy on Island, a till-death-do-us-part album for me. I would not live with it on CD. I wish all rock albums were up to the standard of Sheffield Steel on vinyl.

From Zep I enjoy both the double "Early Days, Latter Days" and the BBC sessions on CD. The former sounds better than my old vinyl Zep albums in many ways.

My all time fav rock CD is Lynyrd Skynyrd "One more from/for the road". The 25th anniversary edition where the tapes were recovered and the concert put together in proper sequence with less fade-in's and out's. T for Texas will probably leave this world being played in the car.

Paul

Jim
I've got Zeps how the west was won,like you say Bohnams drumming awesome,intro to whole lotta love blows me off my settee.This cd is a must for any rock music fan.

I have, after some serious mind boggling, decided that the early seventies probably was the best sounding in rock history (! or ?)

- Just the other day I listened to Free:s 'Fire and Water' and was just amazed about how good it sounded. Mine is an unspectacular 'Nice Prize' CD with an extra 'Island Masters' label on it. Are there better sounding ones?

- Anything with Led Zep, but the first one is the best sounding, imho. On 'Coda' (most on it is crap) there is 'I can't quit you baby' recorded during rehersals for a concert. It actually quite convinsingly sounds like a real rock band in a concert hall! I have the box sets on CD from the early -90:s, probably the best sounding on CD.

- Deep Purple, "Machine head" on the 25 years aniversary has allready been mentioned, and it's excellent in every way (the modern remix on CD 2, on the other hand, is completely crap sounding, use it as a frissbee).
'Made in Japan' is also popular, but not my personal favourite (I'm not fond of half hour solos).

Stones, Faces etc. etc. from that time is also good sounding, but not in the league above.

JohanR

Originally posted by RJohan
...- Deep Purple, "Machine head" on the 25 years aniversary has allready been mentioned, and it's excellent in every way (the modern remix on CD 2, on the other hand, is completely crap sounding...
If you can play DVD-A then that version is rather interesting and worth having IMO

G'day,

Have a listen to some of the King Crimson albums, most particularly Lark's tongue in Aspic. Robert Fripp had the best band ever, JohnWetton on bass and vocals, David Cross on violin and mellotron and Bill Bruford on drums (just ex of Yes)

Amazon have a good review of it.

Enjoy.

Talyessin

muzzer

I realise this thread is about sound quality of 70's re-releases, but given the bands you mention, why not give Firebird's "No.3" album a listen (check it out on All Music Guide). New stuff, but a throwback from the 70's too!

rod

advertisement

Back