Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Classic flat earth setup?

Discussion in 'classic' started by Dowser, Dec 31, 2021.

1. pocketkitchen

pocketkitchen Registered User

Lovely kit. The Sintras will go beautifully with it.

2. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

The counter weight seems wrong, which is interesting. Was there an extra inertia option available back in those days? I know the original spec was two part, then to a single piece, but it didn't look like this one.

3. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

You've got the volume up all the way.

4. Craig B

Craig B Re:trophile

The aluminium mounting hardware suggests that it could have started out as AT95E.
    It looks like the later one piece counterweight, only pushed on backwards.

5. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

That would be a nice system!

6. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Good finds.Well done.

7. chiily

chiily PFM Special Builder

My mate's system was almost identical to that one, other then he had a Lingo 1 and a pair of Epos14s, the 90 did run out of steam with the 14s. I remember it being a really dynamic system; he played a lot of Primus on it and Zappa.

Great find :)

8. Beobloke

Beobloke pfm Member

Funny, as soon as I saw the picture I could almost hear the sound of the faithful sharpening their pitchforks…

9. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

The photo doesn't reveal the other bevel. But probably.

10. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

It can with the 45rpm collet that goes over the motor pulley.

11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Assuming you could be bothered! I had one back when I had an LP12 and used it very infrequently.

12. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

My love of the 12" single meant mine was used quite a bit.

Nytechy likes this.
  13. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer

I shuddered at the TT on the Naim kit..

14. Helen Bach

Helen Bach if it ain't Baroque ...

So what would a spherical earth system be? (asking for a friend!) :cool:

15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

My love of 12” singles was the key reason for buying a Xerxes. A decision that was certainly not one of my best.

wylton and tiggers like this.
  16. herb

herb music live

Garrard 401 SME 3009 Shure V15111 Quad 33/303 Quad ESL (57s) ?

17. chiily

chiily PFM Special Builder

I've certainly become more rounded as I've aged, not just in hifi sadly. :p

18. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Predator

Maybe this :

[​IMG]

19. Dowser

Dowser Learning to bodge again..

Finally got some more time on these today.

First up, LP12 came with the 45rpm adaptor, but I think they are too much of a force fit and am always worried I'll destroy the motor :)

Insides of NAC and NAP are really clean, NAC with 322/2 cards;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Who is this @MJS person? :)
    [​IMG]

Took a lot of foam cleaners and boot polish to get the covers back to life, and lots of patience cleaning the knobs properly, but result was worth it;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One slight scratch on selector knob only defect;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still haven't powered it up to confirm functional, will wait until I can test it with the LP12 :)

Didn't get enough time on LP12 before sun went down and my balcony reverted to -3 degrees :)
    Needs a decent clean and new oil based on this
    [​IMG]
    Whoever previous owner sent it to did some work on it - I suspect they may have repaired it (note fuse is OK), but then owner refused costs...so they whipped bits out again :)
    [​IMG]
    Need to check if bridge is good - my experience is one junction fails short due to failing caps...this bridge maybe new...can't remember how tidily Linn fitted them originally (and damn, can't find the Valhalla I bought a while back cheaply :))
    [​IMG]

As far as I got today - either need to find Valhalla I have, or order some spare parts (oh, note mains wired back incorrectly!).

Richard

20. Retro

Retro pfm Member

Hi Richard,

I'm working on my own Valhalla at the moment as, like you, I use a DIY Geddon. I'm planning a combo Geddon and 45 RPM Valhalla. I only have a few singles so i am not prepared to go mad on a newer Lingo.
    FWIW I much preferred a Geddon to a Mark 1 Lingo. I understand the Mk4 is a lot better, but it is just too much money.

I've checked the rectifier on mine, the original from around '87, it is the same form factor, part number B500 C1500. I've not looked up the specs, so unsure if the 1000/1500 change is significant.
    I also have the missing component values to hand, wattages etc. Let me know if you need them.

By the way, good score! Slightly amused by some of the luke warm responses. I can't imagine there are many on here, who had the money to hand, wouldn't have snapped those up.

Regards,

Graham.

Dowser likes this.