advertisement

Classic British Modern & Free Jazz Recommendations

Harry Beckett’s classic fusion Joy Unlimited from 1974, CD reissued by Cadillac, limited vinyl by Gearbox.
Graham, Cadillac indicating vinyl limited edition of 500 released 7th August is Sold Out. Amazon showing pre order for 4th Sept. ? Not listed on Gearbox website. I suppose I could pre order on Amazon and see if it comes, but I doubt it will?

Graham, Cadillac indicating vinyl limited edition of 500 released 7th August is Sold Out. Amazon showing pre order for 4th Sept. ? Not listed on Gearbox website. I suppose I could pre order on Amazon and see if it comes, but I doubt it will?

Not sure what the situation really is, sold out at source? Honest Jon’s haven’t advertised the vinyl yet and I’d have thought they’d be keen to stock it. In fact I haven’t seen anyone advertising the vinyl. No harm in placing an order with Amazon, see what transpires, you never know.

Nice session though, whatever the format. I remember hearing the drummer Nigel Morris with Hugh Hopper in Gary Boyle’s Isotope at Liverpool Stadium in the mid 70s. Although Joy Unlimited are more to my taste, with some great playing here also from Ray Russell.

As an update on Joy Unlimited - Juno records advertising as Coming Soon. Looks promising that it hasn’t been distributed yet.

Pre-ordered on Amazon, thanks.....

Me too, plus notification from Juno. I’d really like this one on AAA vinyl. The stream on Qobuz sounds good, I’m pleased this isn’t a needle drop. The fact Gearbox are involved hopefully indicates the analogue masters are still in good shape and don’t need a digital fix. I’d be happy ordering the CD if the vinyl doesn’t happen.

image004.jpg

Very good this one and I’m not really a fan of the jazz rock

Good to know as even though I pre-ordered I was still in two minds :)

Well, that’s only my opinion. But rest assured, if there are only 500 being pressed and you manage to get one, you’ll probably be able to sell it very easily. In fact I might be tugging at your sleeve if I’m not lucky.

Well, that’s only my opinion. But rest assured, if there are only 500 being pressed and you manage to get one, you’ll probably be able to sell it very easily. In fact I might be tugging at your sleeve if I’m not lucky.

That is an excellent point well made :)

I'm actually hoping they don't resolve the Thelonious Monk issue then my copy of Palo Alto might be worth a bob or two too.....

This arrived today, a lovely LP well worth supporting (Tracks can be heard in the link.)
https://andyhay.bandcamp.com/releases

Will check this one. Here are several more from Bandcamp I've been really diggin lately:

Sam Eastmond Gulgoleth:
https://gulgoleth.bandcamp.com/album/gulgoleth-2

Dylan Howe Subterranean:
https://dylanhowe.bandcamp.com/album/subterranean-new-designs-on-bowies-berlin
This one is a must if you love Bowie. Really interesting takes on his music.

Spike Orchestra Splintered Stories:
https://www.spikeorchestra.com/splintered-stories

This also features composing and playing of Sam Eastmond. Some of the best in London on this and the one above. If you love Zorn he has some others to check out on this website.

As a relative latecomer to this music I found the Ian Carr book invaluable.

I have Trevor Barre's first volume of the history of British free music ('Plink, Plonk, Scratch') which I really enjoyed. Sadly the second volume is out of print and goes for daft money when it comes up.

I made it about halfway through Ben Watson's Derek Bailey biog before giving up...

I'd love a copy of the compiled issues of 'Musics' but £95 is a stretch.

Are there any other good histories? Aside from the records themselves there's a real paucity of documentation.

As a relative latecomer to this music I found the Ian Carr book invaluable.
I have Trevor Barre's first volume of the history of British free music ('Plink, Plonk, Scratch') which I really enjoyed. Sadly the second volume is out of print and goes for daft money when it comes up.
I made it about halfway through Ben Watson's Derek Bailey biog before giving up...
I'd love a copy of the compiled issues of 'Musics' but £95 is a stretch.
Are there any other good histories? Aside from the records themselves there's a real paucity of documentation.

Innovations in British Jazz by John Wickes was a useful, succinct overview.

Into the Maelstrom: Music, Improvisation and the Dream of Freedom by David Toop is an excellent read, but is concentrated on the British free jazz and improv scene that emerged in the 60s. Still waiting for part two.

Not surprised you didn’t get on with the Ben Watson DB biog, it’s not very good as DB gave up on the project after a couple of interviews. The late Simon Fell’s analytical phd thesis ( available online from Huddersfield uni) is much more informative regarding Derek Bailey and improvisation in the UK.

If you are interested in AMM and all it entailed, Brian Olewnick’s biography of Keith Rowe is highly recommended.

Have a look at what Alan at Jazzhouse has in his bookstore, I’m sure I’ve missed something obvious.

Thanks @Graham H - much appreciated. I'd somehow forgotten David Toop's book. I'll add that to my reading list. Likewise Simon Fell's thesis.

I've had a quick flick through the Keith Rowe biography but was slightly intimidated as it's a big lump of a hardback. I've been meaning for a while to read Eddie Prevost's 'No Sound Is Innocent' - though I get the impression it's more treatise than history.

Amazing that no one has written an Evan Parker biography, especially as he's such an interesting, self aware interviewee.

Amazing that no one has written an Evan Parker biography, especially as he's such an interesting, self aware interviewee.

I was told it’s in progress. Finding a suitable publisher is often the problem.

I forgot to mention Graham Lock’s Chasing the Vibration: Meetings with Creative Musicians. The British scene represented by Mike Westbrook, Norma Winstone, Kenny Wheeler, Chris McGregor, and Evan Parker. The American scene includes Sun Ra, Mal Waldron, Steve Lacy, John Gilmore, Horace Tapscott et al. Lock was a probing journalist, always worth reading.

advertisement

Back