advertisement

Classic Albums: .

Big Tabs

looking backwards, going forwards
Classic album series on BBC iplayer.

Amy Winehouse - 'Back To Black'

Very detailed, footage I have never seen, and interviews with the main players.

Some may not like this album or Amy Winehouse, but this documentary shows the talent behind the hair.

I saw Amy on her Frank tour in 2004 and she was atrocious. I do like her records though.

It is a great series, all episodes over the years have been well worth a watch regardless of ones view on the music. FWIW I considered Amy Winehouse a real talent, though one for me ruined by brickwall pop mastering (I can’t bare the compression so I have none of her work). Her story is a very sad one, I’d have loved to see what she could have produced later in life if she’d have just dialled the excesses back a bit. The oft cited Billie Holiday comparison isn’t hugely far or the mark IMO, she had amazing potential.

The Arena: Day She Came To Dingle film shown after is IIRC (I didn’t watch it last night, though have seen it before) is very good and captures her at her best IMO.

The Arena: Day She Came To Dingle film shown after is IIRC (I didn’t watch it last night, though have seen it before) is very good and captures her at her best IMO.

Yes, I wasn’t any kind of AW fan when I watched this a couple of years back, but her performance was great and in the interview sections she came over as a passionate and knowledgeable music-lover.

It is a great series, all episodes over the years have been well worth a watch regardless of ones view on the music. FWIW I considered Amy Winehouse a real talent, though one for me ruined by brickwall pop mastering (I can’t bare the compression so I have none of her work). Her story is a very sad one, I’d have loved to see what she could have produced later in life if she’d have just dialled the excesses back a bit. The oft cited Billie Holiday comparison isn’t hugely far or the mark IMO, she had amazing potential.

This version of Back To Black is very good.

Amy Winehouse ‎– Back To Black
Label:
Island Records Group ‎– 0600753691090, Universal Records ‎– 0600753691090
Series:
Mastered At Abbey Road Studios - Half Speed Mastering – , Back To Black – , Deluxe Edition
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album, Misprint
Vinyl, LP, Album
All Media, Deluxe Edition, Reissue, Remastered
Europe
Released:
25 Nov 2016

advertisement

Back