advertisement

Class D

Couldn't put it better, from my own experience (Nord hypex). Long term too much familiar/favourite music just seemed devoid of life. Like revisiting a coral reef after a bleaching event. But yes OTOH it made some other music feel stripped bare in a good way, quite stunning.

Good analogy.

I now have a Lyngdorf TDAI3400 Class D (ish), I’m blown away by it, it’s obliterated my Naim Supernait 2, Denafrips Pontus 2 and upgraded Bluesound Node, I haven’t even tried the room correction software yet. This is probably the best amplifier I’ve heard and I’ve had many set ups over the years costing a lot more than this. Also only had it for 5 days so still needs running in.

You are following the way I integrated the lyngdorf into my system (earlier model) listening for several days before setting up Room Perfect. I really liked the amp immediately it just sounded correct, treble especially so, but the Room Perfect was WOW WOW WOW. After having g all the windows and doors replaced in the garden room (ex conservatory) and having decorated I need to re calibrate and am expecting even better things. Enjoy.

I now have a Lyngdorf TDAI3400 Class D (ish), I’m blown away by it, it’s obliterated my Naim Supernait 2, Denafrips Pontus 2 and upgraded Bluesound Node, I haven’t even tried the room correction software yet. This is probably the best amplifier I’ve heard and I’ve had many set ups over the years costing a lot more than this. Also only had it for 5 days so still needs running in.

Fellow 3400 owner here. Totally agree with your findings so far, but just wait until you run RoomPerfect. Be prepared for a very pleasant shock. :D

I would love to do a comparison between the 3400 and the Auralic Altair G2.1, both single boxes appeal to me.

I would love to do a comparison between the 3400 and the Auralic Altair G2.1, both single boxes appeal to me.

The 3400 is an integrated, the Auralic is a streamer/pre so you'd need a power amp, so not a single box solution.

I have had a 3400; a fine amp. For those interested, I did compare it as a Roon end point vs ising my Aries G1 as an end point in to the 3400. The Aries was definitely 'better'. I think the 3400 is primarily a good integrated amp with good built in room correction, with streaming functionality. I may go back to it in future, due to it being a one box solution. Lyngdorf may well be changing from TI Equibit to Eigentakt, so I'll hold off for a bit.

I had the Aries G2 and Vega G2 here along with the 3400 and SDA2400, did a load of mix/match. The Aries into the 3400 was my preferred combo. Firmware updates did improve the 3400 built in streaming.

AFAIK the only improvement the Auralic .1 units have internally is to the USB board in the Aries to make it more compatible, the other changes are chassis/casework.

The Altair has the same Tesla DAC platform as the Vega but lacks the Link and audio buffer, they are basically the same.

Lyngdorf 3400 vs Altair+Amp I’d go with the 3400 for its Room Perfect system and 1 box convenience. At this level the differences/improvements are small ime.

What type of Class D does the Lyngdorf run?

Bruno Putzey helped design it using Equibit, Lyngdorf customised things

https://www.soundstagehifi.com/inde...dorf-audio-tdai-3400-integrated-amplifier-dac
Lyngdorf Audio specifies the TDAI-3400’s power-amp section as able to output 200Wpc into 8 ohms or 400Wpc into 4 ohms by using extremely rapid-switching, low-Rds MOSFETs, and to provide a maximum current output of 40A. Although Equibit, Lyngdorf Audio’s version of the PWM switching technology, is proprietary, other companies make PWM amps -- less usual is how Equibit controls the output volume. Instead of attenuating the analog signal after it goes through D/A conversion and is sent to the power-amp stage, the signal is sent directly to the power amp while still in the digital domain; the volume control then adjusts the voltage output of the power supply, which regulates the amount of power sent to the loudspeakers. Lacking a traditional DAC or preamplification stage, the TDAI-3400 has much simpler circuitry and acts as a power-DAC, which makes it theoretically less susceptible to noise and distortion -- the digital signal is not converted to analog until just before it’s sent to the speakers.​

Room perfect done on the Lyngdorf 3400 today and OMG it’s even better, more clear, deeper bass, better separation, just incredibly musical and not in the slightest fatiguing.

Class D all the way for me.

Haven’t added the two BK Double Gems subs yet.

Couldn't put it better, from my own experience (Nord hypex). Long term too much familiar/favourite music just seemed devoid of life. Like revisiting a coral reef after a bleaching event. But yes OTOH it made some other music feel stripped bare in a good way, quite stunning.

For context, aside from triodes and pentodes (and classic cinema amps), I've also had extended experience of Class T too.

At first, when I got the PM-10, I found some of my music listening to be as you described. All outline and no substance. My dealer recommended leaving the amp on all the time, as the Marantz input modules for the Hypex amps apparently prefer this.

After a few hundred hours, the amps filled out their stencil presentation to leave a vast, vibrant soundscape, fully realised. It's quite something.

For context, aside from triodes and pentodes (and classic cinema amps), I've also had extended experience of Class T too.

At first, when I got the PM-10, I found some of my music listening to be as you described. All outline and no substance. My dealer recommended leaving the amp on all the time, as the Marantz input modules for the Hypex amps apparently prefer this.

After a few hundred hours, the amps filled out their stencil presentation to leave a vast, vibrant soundscape, fully realised. It's quite something.

I am probably up to 30 hours now and my amp is flitting between sublime and flat; a bit as you describe. DSOM didn't sound very good, almost like cardboard. Primal Scream - Vanishing Point sounded live in the room and very transparent. It can almost vary from track to track. Sometimes the bass is nearly overwhelming and then next moment it has gone like my old valve power. It is getting close to end of demo period and still unsure.

Mine is Hypex so hope it goes the same way as yours.

My initial impressions of the Anaview post #2 have changed over time. The amazing detail has become taken for granted and what I thought of first as a shrill treble is just that same detail at the top end. It certainly changed the presentation of some albums I am very familiar with. Some in a positive way but not all. For better or worse it does make you sit up and notice. Given the potential for tailoring the sound to personal preference and dialling out the room I’m on board.

Now about 50 hours and it is still sometimes bland and sometimes astonishing. Decision day is Friday.

Problems are cymbals sound a bit ineffective, bass sometimes sludgy not crisp. It varies from record to record even track to track. Mutty1 describes it well.

Consensus is that these need plenty of hours before coming on song.

I am think of just leaving it on instead of on standby but don't want to leave my valve pre on all the time.

Can I leave it on with the pre turned off and what is the best way to go about it? This is bearing in mind the normal turn on pre on, wait, power on and in reverse for switch off.

Now about 50 hours and it is still sometimes bland and sometimes astonishing. Decision day is Friday.

Problems are cymbals sound a bit ineffective, bass sometimes sludgy not crisp. It varies from record to record even track to track. Mutty1 describes it well.

Consensus is that these need plenty of hours before coming on song.

I am think of just leaving it on instead of on standby but don't want to leave my valve pre on all the time.

Can I leave it on with the pre turned off and what is the best way to go about it? This is bearing in mind the normal turn on pre on, wait, power on and in reverse for switch off.

I leave the whole amp (PM-10) on. But then it is all solid state. The preamp in the PM-10 is the latest version of Marantz's SC7-S2; so S3 I guess. But if you can leave your power amp powered up all the time, that might help? Dunno. Your amp may not benefit from this. Mine seems to.

Th other thing to say is that not all Hypex amps are created equal. A truism and true of many things, I know, but Marantz (like Jeff Rowland) use custom B2B Hypex modules so that they can install their own input sections on the power amp boards. This allow for a degree of customisation as Marantz see fit. Alongside other developments, such as mastering the often wayward impedance/frequency response characteristic of some Hypex amps - and of course being bridged (4 amp modules) - will lead to a different experience from other Class D designs.

I hope yours settles down nicely.

advertisement

Back