advertisement

Class D Amps - will they be the future.

I used a Rowland 102 for some time, with ICEpower modules. Sounded very good with some speakers, less good with others, atrocious with Harbeth SHL5 (perhaps because they have a big impedance spike in the midrange?).

I've also used ncore 400s for a while (currently residing with another member here). Ridiculously good for the money, if not the be-all and end-all of amps that some would have us believe.

I've also used tube amps, for a long time, and no doubt will use them again at some time in the future. I've also used Class A and AB solid state amps.

Moral? Good amps are good amps.

The sooner we get out of the corrupt EU the better. The rich want to stay in because they are getting set aside money on their land etc, Its the same old story the rich get richer and the poor poorer (unless on benefits) with our foul Governments Coalition or Labour

Coming out of the EU is not going to stop this problem. If UK companies want to sell into the EU they will have to meet the EU regulations whether they are in the EU or not. Most companies simply won't have any choice.

The biggest problem is that the EU group everyone together whether they are making 500,000 x £40 DVD players, or 5 x £50000 amplifiers a year. A lot of the EU regs are about disposal i.e. what goes into land fill. Ask yourself this how many £50,000 amplifiers are going to end up in land fill?

Its also about safety, energy usage, and intelligent standby procedures. Nothing a Little £10 IC off the shelf circuit couldn't do. I'd like all my kit to have this feature...

Surely there must an 'auto shut-off module' you can buy in as PnP device??

The shut down module is not the problem. Its the monitoring of every control on the "model", plus some sort of timer, then the power supply to power all this. What it will mean to most companies is that the whole model will require a total redesign to implement this directive. Can you imagine what this would cost?

Not that I am aware of Marcus. I spoke with the UKTI last week and its not just our industry that is struggling with these constant EU directives...
Some say (and don't quote me on this) that these directives are being enforced so it will favour German industry and the German economy...

For example: during the show we had an EU advisor come into our room asking if all the equipment had the latest "auto turn off' directive fitted. Can you imagine what this sort of thing costs to small companies who previously just fitted an on/off switch? Now they have to design some sort of monitoring device to see when the last time any control was used, then time from this to auto switch off the equipment in so many minutes/hours etc. In some cases this would mean the auto switch off device would be more complicated than the actual electronics itself... It's total madness!

So is the EU total madness with our foul traitorous Government giving them £50 million a day whilst we have a trade deficit with the EU who would still have to allow our exports in they need our market we are invaded by German cars , German Kitchen & household appliances etc. but no German Hi-Fi strange .

So is the EU total madness with our foul traitorous Government giving them £50 million a day whilst we have a trade deficit with the EU who would still have to allow our exports in they need our market we are invaded by German cars , German Kitchen & household appliances etc. but no German Hi-Fi strange .

Maybe...

I thought this was a thread about class D amplification?

My Naim n-Vi (5.1 all-in-one) is apparently class T. What the hell is that?

Class T isn't, strictly, an amplifier class. It was the proprietary term adopted by the defunct Tripath Corporation (now owned by Cirrus) for their version of Class D.

Well, maybe not the best example, but it's the only one I've got with Class D technology and I believe it's worth mentioning.

I've a JBL OnBeat Xtreme (for iDevices and such). It uses 4x30W Class D amplifiers and the first thing that I was able to notice is that they use software/CPUs to countermeasure drivers known deficiencies.
So, in theory, it's possible to get a very flat frequency response from an active system like this.

In this example, the end result is impressive to say the least. It's unbelievable how good this little thing sounds and I find myself sometimes appreciating its sound capabilities, sound stage, precise bass, incredible transparency, like if I was listening to some big stereo. In fact, to me, it really does sound better than some.

Class D can real shine with actives because it can be easily tuned for the drivers.
I see a lot of potential here.

Michael

The EU is basically the German ministry for trade. I worked for a German company and lived in Germany for a year. What astounded me was that we were directed to purchase anything we needed firstly from companies local to the office and failing that in Germany. We needed a plugin for a speech recognition feature and I wanted Nuance but I was instead directed to a german software company 100 miles away who were completely uselesss. Of course under EU competition law this is illegal but is common practice in German companies that I spoke to during my time there.

There is also the purity law which Germany used for a very long time to block the import of foreign beers as they contained "pollutants" The EU kept telling Germany that they were breaking the rules but they ignored them and continued, it was only when the EU passed a law that the Germany stopped.

I love the country and am going back there for two weeks this summer to visit friends I made living there but the EU is run by Germany. I'm all for staying in the EU but on a level playing field that isn't biased by the Germans.

Out of curiosity, I bought a BK Electronics 'Pear Drop' stereo amp a few months back, I think it was about 200 quid for 80W + 80W. It appears to have the Abletec ALC0180 class D module inside.

I'm rather impressed, the clarity is more than satisfying from a box about the size of an external USB drive. I'm thinking small, cheap and energy efficient amps of this type have quite a rosy future. I can't see why some companies charge 1000s for class D amps when such good ones can be purchased so cheaply.

The EU is basically the German ministry for trade. I worked for a German company and lived in Germany for a year. What astounded me was that we were directed to purchase anything we needed firstly from companies local to the office and failing that in Germany. We needed a plugin for a speech recognition feature and I wanted Nuance but I was instead directed to a german software company 100 miles away who were completely uselesss. Of course under EU competition law this is illegal but is common practice in German companies that I spoke to during my time there.

There is also the purity law which Germany used for a very long time to block the import of foreign beers as they contained "pollutants" The EU kept telling Germany that they were breaking the rules but they ignored them and continued, it was only when the EU passed a law that the Germany stopped.

I love the country and am going back there for two weeks this summer to visit friends I made living there but the EU is run by Germany. I'm all for staying in the EU but on a level playing field that isn't biased by the Germans.

I do not want to be dictated to by Germans, We want to be governed by Westminster not the EU. I regard Camerloon, Clegg Clarke Howe Hesseltine Mandelson etc. as traitors, in the days of Elizabeth 1 they would all have been decapitated. Our stupid Governments allowed Rolls Royce to be bought by Germans, the British Police use BMW's Hyundai, Mercs etc, instead of cars manufactured in the UK, this would never happen in Germany they only quite rightly use German cars.

I do not want to be dictated to by Germans, We want to be governed by Westminster not the EU. I regard Camerloon, Clegg Clarke Howe Hesseltine Mandelson etc. as traitors, in the days of Elizabeth 1 they would all have been decapitated. Our stupid Governments allowed Rolls Royce to be bought by Germans, the British Police use BMW's Hyundai, Mercs etc, instead of cars manufactured in the UK, this would never happen in Germany they only quite rightly use German cars.

I suspect I'm not alone in hoping you refrain from politics & keep on topic please

advertisement

Back