advertisement

Class D Amps - will they be the future.

I did not buy the unlistenable amplifier. . Bel Canto S500 was returned to supplier who sent it on approval. I am told that the REF 500S is a big improvement. .

Phew! The REF 500 are supposedly better than the REF1000s too. I had some Class D amps and have now moved onto Class G monoblocks ha!

Bel Canto Ref 500M's are fantastic amps. Wyred 4 Sound are also very good at a lower price point but slightly more "industrial" looking. All imho of course!

Bel Canto Ref 500M's are fantastic amps. Wyred 4 Sound are also very good at a lower price point but slightly more "industrial" looking. All imho of course!

I now see from the net that two owners of the Bel Canto REF500S put them up for sale not long after purchase. List $2500 , one for sale half price $1250 says it all. I would not touch any Class D amplifier with a barge pole. From two reviews one says not as good as his tube amp, the other his hot running amps sound better.

I am about to audition a couple of class A monoblocks but the dealer has also just received a couple of Taiwanese class D amps to play with, so maybe I should borrow those as well for comparison.

They look good and are very well made, on the outside anyway. Apparently they put out about 700W in bridged mode, but are each less than 1/2 the size of my 250.

Steve

I now see from the net that two owners of the Bel Canto REF500S put them up for sale not long after purchase. List $2500 , one for sale half price $1250 says it all. I would not touch any Class D amplifier with a barge pole. From two reviews one says not as good as his tube amp, the other his hot running amps sound better.

Yeah, we heard you 6 months ago :)

Still, as with all amplifiers, not all are created equally. And everyone has different needs.

I find that music usually sounds quite detached and soulless through Class D.

and somewhat synthetic- that was the case of a Tripath. I have heard a modified Temple Audio Bantam amplifier that was actually really good, uses a different form of implementation to a Tripath chip.

Andrew

Yeah, we heard you 6 months ago :)

Still, as with all amplifiers, not all are created equally. And everyone has different needs.

There is really only one need from an amplifier for an audiophile that is it should reproduce the closest approach to the Live sound, This has been achieved for many many years now by a good Class AB amplifier at a realistic price.

There is really only one need from an amplifier for an audiophile that is it should reproduce the closest approach to the Live sound, This has been achieved for many many years now by a good Class AB amplifier at a realistic price.

I believe your speaking for a certain group though. If that was the case, the amplifier market would be far smaller due to lack of demand in other variants?

I would not touch any Class D amplifier with a barge pole. From two reviews one says not as good as his tube amp, the other his hot running amps sound better.

What do people expect the this technology was designed for very low power consumption and for use in items like laptop PC's etc. However if the EU has its way, everything in the future will use this technology and class A and class AB solid state and valve/tube amps will be a thing of the past...

Right then... What the hell is class G?!

http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/174-types-amplifiers-class-class-b-class-ab-class-d.html

There is a fifth (and, nominally, a sixth) class of amplifier, but they are rarely seen in practice in the consumer market. One is the Class G and the other Class H. These are similar in design to Class AB topologies, but both feature two power supplies that switch on or off, depending on the musical signal imputed. Using two power supplies improves efficiency enough to allow significantly more power for a given size and weight. Class G is becoming common for pro audio designs. Class H amps are designed to use the same topology as Class G, but it provides just enough voltage for optimum operation of the output devices. Again, its an attempt to increase efficiency, but at the expense of fidelity ultimately.

In summary:
Class G and H amplifiers add complexity to the signal and degrade it because of the need for switching depending on the input signal
Class D amplifiers are models of efficiency, but with a loss of detail and fidelity
Class B amplifiers generally introduce some crossover distortion, but move away from Class D, G, and H's extreme non-linearity.
Class AB amplifiers may introduce some crossover distortion, but they get closer to the ideal of Class A for most of its operating regime.
They are indeed the best compromise of performance versus cost.
Class A amplifiers introduce no crossover distortion and are the most desirable amps to own, but they are expensive, run hot, and have to be very well-built.

What do people expect the this technology was designed for very low power consumption and for use in items like laptop PC's etc. However if the EU has its way, everything in the future will use this technology and class A and class AB solid state and valve/tube amps will be a thing of the past...

The sooner we get out of the corrupt EU the better. The rich want to stay in because they are getting set aside money on their land etc, Its the same old story the rich get richer and the poor poorer (unless on benefits) with our foul Governments Coalition or Labour

GT,

I talked to the president of Germany's High End Society some time ago. They are trying to get an 'audiophile loophole' written into the proposed EU legislation. Is there an industry body in the UK that's doing similar work?

I replaced my extensive Cyrus amplification with a Bel Canto S300iU which was better in every respect.

This led me to import a W4S STP1000 which was essentially two of the BC Ref1000 ICEPower ASP1000 modules in one case, half the price even with import duties.

Being that ICEPower modules are honest and neutral may explain why some folk on this thread can't abide the Bel Canto sound.

I replaced my extensive Cyrus amplification with a Bel Canto S300iU which was better in every respect.

This led me to import a W4S STP1000 which was essentially two of the BC Ref1000 ICEPower ASP1000 modules in one case, half the price even with import duties.

Being that ICEPower modules are honest and neutral may explain why some folk on this thread can't abide the Bel Canto sound.

I agree with the summation by thebiglebowski. If Class D sound was honest & neutral I would not object to it. low consumption and small size ,very good but the sound ugh.

GT,

I talked to the president of Germany's High End Society some time ago. They are trying to get an 'audiophile loophole' written into the proposed EU legislation. Is there an industry body in the UK that's doing similar work?

Not that I am aware of Marcus. I spoke with the UKTI last week and its not just our industry that is struggling with these constant EU directives...
Some say (and don't quote me on this) that these directives are being enforced so it will favour German industry and the German economy...

For example: during the show we had an EU advisor come into our room asking if all the equipment had the latest "auto turn off' directive fitted. Can you imagine what this sort of thing costs to small companies who previously just fitted an on/off switch? Now they have to design some sort of monitoring device to see when the last time any control was used, then time from this to auto switch off the equipment in so many minutes/hours etc. In some cases this would mean the auto switch off device would be more complicated than the actual electronics itself... It's total madness!

advertisement

Back