advertisement

Class D amps on home demo

halvis

pfm Member
Does anyone know of any manufacturers/builders of class D amps that offer a home demo service?

Preferably Hypex but would try the other flavours too.

Trying to replace a high power class A/B amp and intrigued by Class D.

BTW, I am in the Republic of Ireland if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any info.

If you buy online, you get 7 days to return, so that might work for you. Premium Sound have a home demo scheme where you deposit 90% for a 14 day trial, some are class D like Primare.

Last edited:
Hypex Ncore is the obvious choice. There's a variety of stereo/mono options at various price points and they measure extremely well. Try Keith@Purite, he may have a March Audio unit he will loan.

Thanks for the help. Budget would be about £1500 max, but hopefully less for a stereo power amp.

Being in Ireland is now a problem for loaning gear, due to Brexit, there are VAT implications. I contacted KJF who was happy to help until I told him where I was.

Nord looked like the obvious choice but I dont think they do loaners anyway.

Pascal/Gato is an interesting shout, I will follow up on that. There is one for sale here in Ireland as well, 2nd hand.

Try Temple Audio monoblocks with the supercharger power supplies (£1000). If they suit your system you just won’t find better. They do a 14 day money back return...

Edit: If your system is bass light don’t bother, their bass is so tight and tuneful they’ll just make your system sound bright...

In the USA, PS Audio give 30 days audition for their products. I don't know what happens with their product distribution over where you are living, but the Stellar S300 amp is very much worth spending time with.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
With Class D though, do we think it is important to get the latest tech? I imagine there is still some improvements going on in this area. Those Belcanto's are using a few year old Ice Power units are they not?

I would like about >100wpc @ 8ohms as well if possible. So it looks like the Temple Audio option is out, although does look like an impressive option.

Intrigued by the PS Audio too, I watch a lot of Paul's video's. Seems like an interesting product at a reasonable price. I think that uses old Ice Power too though, but only for the output.

I'm confused. If they didn't fetch £2k on eBay then why wouldn't someone else have trouble reselling them at the same price?

because once word gets round on the forums they are highly likely to achieve that price . even old mark ref 1000 still get reasonable prices , ref 1000 mark 2 in mint condition at about 1650 ish . second hand hifi sold ref 600m for 2k and more recently a pair sold at 3k from a dealer . from the listing they are about 2.5 years old with full packaging . saddo as i am i follow every single BC sale for a very long time now !!!

With Class D though, do we think it is important to get the latest tech? I imagine there is still some improvements going on in this area. Those Belcanto's are using a few year old Ice Power units are they not?

I would like about >100wpc @ 8ohms as well if possible. So it looks like the Temple Audio option is out, although does look like an impressive option.

Intrigued by the PS Audio too, I watch a lot of Paul's video's. Seems like an interesting product at a reasonable price. I think that uses old Ice Power too though, but only for the output.

well the build quality on those bel canto ref 600 is just superb , they are really well built . i have some ghent audio monoblocks and the cases and XLR sockets are not a patch on the bc stuff . you will still see these ref 600m stuff being sold in 10 15 years as they last so long . I have had loads and loads of BC stuff , the vbs1 battery packs are beginning to fail , occassionally the cd3t give probems

the Bel Canto REF600M is the first amplifier in the REF series to use the NCore technology. According to John Stronczer, “There was a 10dB drop in noise going from Tripath to ICEPower. I’ve measured at least a 10dB drop in distortion, especially at high frequencies, going from ICEPower to NCore. Each 10dB represents a significant improvement in the technology. Noise also dropped by 3–6dB, (equal to 1.4x to 2x), reducing sonic artifacts and increasing musical detail and resolution.”

With its latest design Bel Canto claims to have achieved “the right balance between neutral transparency and musicality.” Stronczer says that the REF600M “demonstrates the full sonic promise that began to emerge over 15 years ago with the implementation of our first Class D amplifier

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/bel-canto-ref600m-power-amplifier

c
ertainly the ps audio m700 are worth a try , i like icepower stuff a lot . i just had the bel canto ref 500s which is icepower and use icepower asx 50 monoblocks with my tannoys .

advertisement

Back