advertisement

Clapton’s new single

Why is this hidden away in Off Topic where almost no-one will see it...?

I was reluctant to describe Clapton’s lazy Trump-grade anti-vaxxer conspiracy theory dad-rock dirge as ‘music’, but I’ve moved it across just in case anyone else does.

An excuse however, is not an apology, something he has consistently refused to offer.
As I already stated elsewhere, he did so in his autobiography.

His current anti-vaxxer stance worries me way more than his loss of verbal self control 45 years ago. It’s essentially us, still commenting on things that happened that long ago, who give a platform to what EC once uttered. World doesn’t need that any longer.

Last edited:
As I already stated elsewhere, he did so in his autobiography.
Genuine question. I haven’t read his autobiography. Did he actually say “I’m sorry. What I said was wrong. It was racist and I apologise to black people, especially those black British people who were already being beaten up and attacked by fascist thugs emboldened by Enoch Powell’s racist rant. I apologise for fanning the flames and contributing to the virulent racism that was already a feature of Britain in the 1970’s. I should not have said it and I apologise unreservedly” or words to that effect? Or was it more of a “I was so effed up on booze and smack. I was in so much pain. I’m ashamed of myself” i.e. all about me and my pain rather than the pain I caused others?

Interesting choice of words, you suggest ‘loss of verbal control’ and revealing he was a far-right white supremacist was the problem, not that he was actually a far-right white supremacist.
I added a few words in my post for clarity. But I am not sure I get you right (language-wise). In any case I do indeed think that problems arise only when some people speak out racist stuff, or act accordingly. This I’m very much against, quite like most here. But as long as a racist shuts up and keeps his ideas for himself, why should we condemn him ? We are no moral references.

other than that, you might have noticed that I always write ‘racist’ as a general term, as there are such people all over the world and they can also be left wing (I know I will never convince you on that). The term ‘white supremacist’ sounds just too fashionable to me at the mo.

Genuine question. I haven’t read his autobiography. Did he actually say “I’m sorry. What I said was wrong. It was racist and I apologise to black people, especially those black British people who were already being beaten up and attacked by fascist thugs emboldened by Enoch Powell’s racist rant. I apologise for fanning the flames and contributing to the virulent racism that was already a feature of Britain in the 1970’s. I should not have said it and I apologise unreservedly” or words to that effect? Or was it more of a “I was so effed up on booze and smack. I was in so much pain. I’m ashamed of myself” i.e. all about me and my pain rather than the pain I caused others?
I can’t answer you, the book has been in a phone booth for some time now. Personally I haven’t got a degree in human ethics so I can’t judge on how an apology should actually be written.

I can’t answer you, the book has been in a phone booth for some time now. Personally I haven’t got a degree in human ethics so I can’t judge on how an apology should actually be written.
I think @Finnegan has provided you with a pretty good outline of how it should have been written.

other than that, you might have noticed that I always write ‘racist’ as a general term, as there are such people all over the world and they can also be left wing (I know I will never convince you on that). The term ‘white supremacist’ sounds just too fashionable to me at the mo.

I certainly acknowledge a degree of racism in the organised left, almost exclusively relating to Israel and conflating folk of the Jewish race/religion with the brutal far-right Likud government and the occupation of Palestine. The UK Labour Party, which claims to be left of centre but to my eyes shares much of the authoritarianism and nationalist flag-waving of the right, has certainly had an issue with this over recent years. They are not me though. I am not a Labour voter.

Eric Clapton was burping up the tired hateful rhetoric of the 1970s National Front, a far-right white supremacist organisation. Fashion doesn’t come into it, this is simple historical fact.

Given his passion for all things hunting and countryside alliance, his ability to feel persecuted from a position of extreme privilege comes as no surprise. That said, I suspect he's lived much of his life in some degree of PTSD given his appalling childhood and the tragic death of his son, so I'm prepared to cut him some slack. Van Morrison has no excuse, though.

I suspect he's lived much of his life in some degree of PTSD given his appalling childhood and the tragic death of his son, so I'm prepared to cut him some slack.
He does seem rather screwed up in a number of ways. I mean, nicking your best mate’s wife is - at the very least - a somewhat self-centred and ungracious act.

Polished rant - but it's a barely a footnote of ECs 45yrs+ of overt ****erdom since about 1976 and the profoundly overt racism sustained / never apologised for. ps: I see EC's now a conspiracy theorist too.

To answer the question as posed: easy - Clapton always was.

Good rant vid. I’ll merge this into the other Clapton thread later. I’m lucky as I’ve never rated him or his reheated blues plagiarism at all. I’ve never owned an album (other than for the shop). To be honest he’s everything I dislike about mainstream rock music and I’d far prefer to listen to a Robert Johnson 78 via a bakelite telephone than have Clapton play my front room. Tommy Yaxley Lennon with a guitar.

PS Morrissey is the one that let me down!

advertisement

Back