advertisement

Chronological or Album order?

Borellus

pfm Member
Prompted by a few CD collective works I am currently listening to ie. Miles Davis & John Coltrane Complete Columbia recordings 1955-1961 and the John Coltrane Legendary Impulse Sessions I thought I would canvas opinion on the following.

Looking through various posts it seems people have a preference one way or the other on box sets. Some, like myself, want the chronological order that the music was recorded; others prefer the order the music was on the original albums. What do other people think and why?

I feel chronological order lets you hear how the music and musician has evolved over a period, sometimes over a span of a couple of years. The original album material may have been culled from a few different sessions and compiled on an album by the record company without any input from the artist themselves.

Do you think owning the original album and playing it to death makes you more averse to listening to the actual sessions themselves in the order the music was originally recorded?

Original album order every time - playlisting is a true art form and one the artist is almost always heavily involved in, hearing things in a purely date order loses any 'whole' the original album had. I actively avoid items where the original playlist has been meddled with after the fact.

Tony.

I'm with Tony - and stick the alternate/out-takes on at the end or on a separate disc. But what's worst of all is when you get all 17 alternate versions of the first track, then the 14 versions of track two.... etc.

advertisement

Back