advertisement

Chromebook - are Google really that dumb

Hi,

Had an issue with one of my laptops so decided to use my Chromebook to do the task I wanted.

All went well for a few minutes until the Chromebook said, new update available, want to install.

Yes why not, so I click install, screen goes black whille it reboots and then it came up with please sign in.

So it knows who I am it just needs the password.

I input the known password and it says wrong password.

So I think well I will use the forgot password, which I did, and it says input a last known password you have used before, which I did, success, it then sends a verification code to my email, which I then input to the Chromebook and it then asks me to make a new password for the Chromebook system.

It accepts the new password, then says, input your old password, so I input that last known password I had used, it knew it was a correct password I had used before as it sent me an email with a verification code so I could change my password, but now it will not accept that one.

It is looking for the very last password I used, yes the one I cannot remember.

How am I supposed to know the last old password if I have forgotten it?

It will not let you past this point until you somehow manage to try a password that was the last used password, yes the one I forgot, not any old password I might have used in the past.

I was very lucky that after a great many tries I did try a password that at some point in the past I must have changed to using and bingo the Chromebook comes alive.

I thought the idea was that if you forgot a password you could change it by a means of the system sending you a change password to a saved email account or a phone number, both of which Google has, then with that you change to a new password.

If you could not remember your last used password you are basically screwed, it just keeps asking the same questions to the forgot password question you click and it sends the email with a new verification code and the cycle repeats over and over.

Is this just Google, never had any issues with any other systems I have had to change a password, even the bank, what makes Google so special.

How did I manage to write this without swearing :D

Cheers

John

That would absolutely do my shed in and cause more than a mild rage attack - have had something similar before (come to think of it - was probably my Google account)

Also had a similar circular ground hog day event with my bank security answers once - fortunately, after a tortuous phone conversation, an actual human being let me reset everything and I got my account back.

Just use a password application on all your devices, then you only have to remember one password ever.
Simple.

advertisement

Back