advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should all get a bottle of London Calling by Claymore for 29th March. The label has The Clash on a British Flag. Irreverently Made in Oz.

Perhaps we need to organize a get-together. You could bring Télégramme from the back of your cupboard and tales of Erotica, @Weekender could bring the 2016 Méga and cake and I could supply some 2015 plus a general air of shambolic confusion.
It's arrived and hopefully I'll be sampling the 16 tonight.

Did you them all last night and not wake up ?
I now officially have a cold and "feel like a pig sh#t in my head."
Sank a bottle last night...though had to give up a glass to the Mrs. Enjoyed it...like a fruitier Chateauneuf du Pape.
I decanted it for about 45mins before drinking...that enough?
Given my subsequent visitation by the lurgy maybe the tastebuds will do better work next time.

Last edited:
I now officially have a cold and "feel like a pig sh#t in my head."
Sank a bottle last night...though had to give up a glass to the Mrs. Enjoyed it...like a fruitier Chateauneuf du Pape.
I recanted it for about 45mins before drinking...that enough?
Given my subsequent visitation by the lurgy maybe the tastebuds will do better work next time.

Bummer - hope you soon feel better. I always look on getting a cold as a good opportunity to chuff my way through disappointing/second rate purchases for a week.

Anybody use Vivino app ? AFAIK the scores are just the average of a whole load of average punters (I include myself in that group) scores. A guide perhaps but what are they measuring against ? And the prices are also a bit misleading.

Last edited:
I used vivino to track what wine I have, but following some of the info above I've switched to cellar tracker. I've never given much credence to their reviews, but their prices are fairly reflective of the market (look at it like a screen scraping app for pricing). From time to their own prices are pretty decent.

Ooh, a bespoke Mégaphone box - how sweet!

40169739123_4e89c0f368_c.jpg

Right, that’s it now. After a team of consultants made an in-depth study of the CellarTracker statistics regarding the contents of the ancestral cellars, their recommendation of a moratorium on wine-buying will be followed for a minimum of six months. Absolutely, definitely and incontrovertibly.*

*Unless I see any bargains in the Spring wine fairs in March. Or if the Wine Soc decide to sell me the 2017 Rhônes I’ve asked for.

Last edited:
^^ you still have 5 weeks before we ban French wines in the opening move of a subtle trade negotiation. Cross the Rubicon but beware the Ides of March.

Double entendre. Yes Rubicon is very nice. If you like it try Kanonkop Paul Sauer 2015... but you should keep it at least a couple of years before you do.

Now I’m getting to grips more with CellarTracker’s facilities I’m rather enjoying its input into the nightly choice of what should go with the egg and chips, baked beans or fish fingers. The ‘availability’ rating is quite clever - it takes the beginning and end of the maturity period, sees how many bottles you have and how many you should have drunk by now assuming a regular consumption. If you get to the end of the period it adds 100 to give you an alert and bump that wine up towards the top of the ‘drink now’ list. Apparently it can also take into account which wines can be drunk early, then close up and open out again later - but that’s still a bit beyond me.

Anyway, I have some rather nice Sancerre with a score of 4.61 (in other words I could drink four bottles now and still be consuming them at a good steady rate) so that looks like a good choice for tonight. (One, I mean, not four. Not even me.)

I've just found the 'Available' info under the 'Ready to Drink'. It simply divides number of years to expiry by your number of bottles. I've got very few over '1'. :(

I've just found the 'Available' info under the 'Ready to Drink'. It simply divides number of years to expiry by your number of bottles. I've got very few over '1'. :(

Well, not quite that simple...

https://support.cellartracker.com/article/28-ready-to-drink-report

For Mégaphone 2015 (14 bottles, window 2018-2022) I get 3.21, but Mégaphone 2016 (10 bootles, window 2019-2023) I get 0.3 and my single bottle of 2014 only gets 0.04. Obviously this is based on a lot of subjective opinion and possibly incorrect assumption so shouldn’t be relied upon, but it’s fun.

Oh love it: not linear. Different ageing algorithms for different types of wine. This is top class nerdy. But still doesn't change the fact I have very few over '1' though.

Oh love it: not linear. Different ageing algorithms for different types of wine. This is top class nerdy. But still doesn't change the fact I have very few over '1' though.

That probably means you are very well organised.

I ought to change ‘bootles’ in my post above but I rather like it.

Not at all organised. I should have bought steadily from 25 years ago. But then I would probably have bought a load of rubbish anyway. It is ok I can be patient...the Good Lord allowing.
Greatly helped by 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 being very good vintages in one country/region or another.. Even global warming has a silver lining... for a while.

Last edited:
Have you looked at the General Discussion on Cellartracker ? It is like going down a rabbit hole that ends up in the USA.

A philosophical question for you experts on here: I’ve just been sent a couple of bottles of South African red, and they are described as Bordeaux blend. I see this reference quite regularly and wondered why the reference back to Bordeaux? Is it a case of imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, or a more nuanced reason for it?
Thanks!

Google it and the first answer from Wine Folly is worth reading.
I'm in the process of trying to convince myself that my Bordeaux Blends from Italy, California and South Africa (and I'm sure I'll get some from Oz too soon) are just as good as anything from Bordeaux but I'll never know because I'm simply not prepared to pay top Bordeaux prices.
I've thought about 'doing a Sideways' with a special bottle, perhaps on a birthday or whatever; but I don't enjoy drinking alone that much, and I'm not spending hundreds of £ to share it with anyone else ! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back