advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the white Tondonia. Very fond of the old school white Rioja, and don’t really know why modern producers have moved away from that style to a wine that has little to distinguish it from hundreds of other white wines already on sale.

I love the white Tondonia. Very fond of the old school white Rioja, and don’t really know why modern producers have moved away from that style to a wine that has little to distinguish it from hundreds of other white wines already on sale.
I don’t generally drink white wine, but this I like. I’ve got a couple cases of 2007 Tondonia stored in bond waiting for a reason to be drunk.
We had the red with soup and cold meats last night, I’m regretting (well, not really, just thinking ahead) not going for something heavier. Lamb would have made for a fantastic pairing.

Amazingly, there were still at least a dozen Guigal CdR 2016 on the shelf. Adding a dozen cheap and likeable Costières de Nîmes (3€/bottle) pushed the total just over 120€, so that meant a nice discount that I can cash in on my pre-quarantine shop on the way home.

The Guigal was already on offer in the wine fair at 7.20€, so splitting the 30€ between the dozen bottles makes each one 4.70€, or around £4.25. Sometimes life is good.
I got a box of 12 Guigal 2016 from the same source a week ago, but although my total bill was a lot more than 200€ I didn't get the 30€ off, perhaps because I cashed in a 14€ voucher I had from a previous visit. I tasted it yesterday (the wine, not the voucher). Good/not superlative, but at that price a definite bargain. I often wonder if Guigal have different batches of the same wine, say this generic CdR 2016.

^ I think Marchbanks has an App alerting him to discounts across Europe.
Guigal production of CdR is so high there probably are variations/batches within a vintage. Doubt they would give any info on that though. IIRC about 1 million bottles a year !
Guigal have several steps above CdR so 'superlative' might be expected in the LaLa crackpot price range.
I am patiently waiting for some 2015 Brune et Blonde with high hopes though...

Last edited:
It was a glorious night last night, so it had to be dinner in the garden despite being at a place with no outside lighting. The only sound was Bill Frisell’s Guitar In the Space Age coming from the CD machine inside. The wine was a 6€ CdR Visan from 2017.

50363161386_1dd827ef11.jpg

I was in such a good mood that even dropping 26€ on my Lillois friend’s cheese recommendations chez Philippe Olivier seemed to have been a great idea.

50360872117_f4a9b3ac1f_z.jpg

I don’t want to be accused of trying to turn this thread into Christmas Cheese, but in case you are interested from left to right they are Crayeux de Roncq, Troisvaux and extra-vieille Mimolette. The latter cost a somewhat eye-watering 43€/kg, I discovered when I looked at the receipt. They didn’t have any Poiret de Meuse, his first choice, as that has to be ordered specially. Probably no bad thing. I still couldn’t resist adding a kilo of en promo Gorgonzola from Auchan, though.

Sadly this morning I seem to have mislaid my specs at the supermarket, so I’m now back to being my more usual foul-tempered self again. That’s more than accounted for yesterday’s savings... win some, lose some. I’ve finally given in to old age and forgetfulness and am now wearing my backup pair dangling from a piece of cord around my neck.

^ I think Marchbanks has an App alerting him to discounts across Europe.

Guigal production of CdR is so high there probably are variations/batches within a vintage. Doubt they would give any info on that though. IIRC about 1 million bottles a year !

Four million, according to this.

The next offer is for the start of the Carrefour Market wine fair later this week - 10€ off a 60€ spend, plus 5% on your loyalty card. That would bring Guigal 2017 Crozes-Hermitage in at about £10/bottle. I might go for that instead of the Gramenon Élémentaire 2016 @ 18€ I had been considering. The difference would pay for a new pair of specs, so I’d feel very virtuous. And with the best will in the world, I have enough 2016 Southern Rhônes already, if such a thing is possible.

^ Four million deserves a double ! No wonder there were a few left on that shelf for you.
The supermarket may have your specs: no use to anyone else after all.

The supermarket may have your specs: no use to anyone else after all.
They did last time. The time before that (lost for three months) they were lodged between the branches of a dwarf rose bush on the patio.

They have led a charmed life - my luck has to run out soon.

Not sure I have had the old school, wine discernment is a relatively recent find here.but I do enjoy white that will accompany spiced/tapas/indian style veggie foods.

I do enjoy a few Spanish old vine whites, this one particularly https://www.averys.com/product/Unsi-Terrazas-Blanco-2019/3753319.

@blossomchris if you can find it, try some Musar Blanc; I quite like it with that food line-up.
A very different style, but some Txakoli (I posted a picture further up) also works. It’s a lot lighter than Musar (both in colour and flavour), but if you’re ever doing a tapas crawl in San Sebastián, Txakoli is the wine to accompany the myriad offerings.

Looks like the last two possibilities for an alfresco lunch this year may be upon us, so I’ve opened the last of my bottles of Sourdais Chinon Rosé, and lovely it is too. Perfect for sitting in the shade offered by Tina the weeping willow (if you saw her after a trimming you would understand) with a Marie Blachère bien-cuite baguette and a dollop of fatty rillettes (to build up sufficient reserves to finish mowing the lawn this afternoon, or something equally implausible.)

50366712898_e247e4198f_z.jpg

A knock on the door just after 9am this morning, and the bearded vultures have come home to roost! I’m really looking forward to trying these.

50370239478_659dee35bf_z.jpg

I had an email from a second courier yesterday telling me a parcel was on the way and to click on a link to nominate a safe leaving place. I thought it was a scam until I noticed the package was coming from a merchant whose website I had scoured - I had totally forgotten placing an order and asking for deferred delivery. Good job they are honest and efficient. Age-related faulty memory is no fun.

A knock on the door just after 9am this morning, and the bearded vultures have come home to roost! I’m really looking forward to trying these.

50370239478_659dee35bf_z.jpg

I had an email from a second courier yesterday telling me a parcel was on the way and to click on a link to nominate a safe leaving place. I thought it was a scam until I noticed the package was coming from a merchant whose website I had scoured - I had totally forgotten placing an order and asking for deferred delivery. Good job they are honest and efficient. Age-related faulty memory is no fun.
Did you get a mix of dry /mellow sweet
or just the latter?

Very fetching labels.
Aren’t they. And I’ve only just spotted that the VT has extra gilding compared to the others.
Did you get a mix of dry /mellow sweet
or just the latter?
I didn’t buy the Sec. The others are all described as moelleux on their website, but I would imagine to my taste they are demi-sec (Classique, mixture of Gros and Petit Manseng), sweet (Samonios, passerillaged Petit Manseng) and even sweeter (Sainte Catherine, Petit Manseng, VT.)

One of my favorite wines ever was a 1985 Vina Ardanza Blanco - a well oaked wine indeed. No longer made it seems and the whole Oaked White Rioja style is nearly dead. I had a case of the stuff back along (gifted as I remember - well out of my normal price range) but did not look after it well and the last two bottles went down the sink. We very nearly cried.

I do buy White Rioja Muga from time to time - very nice but certainly not the same.

One of my favorite wines ever was a 1985 Vina Ardanza Blanco - a well oaked wine indeed. No longer made it seems and the whole Oaked White Rioja style is nearly dead. I had a case of the stuff back along (gifted as I remember - well out of my normal price range) but did not look after it well and the last two bottles went down the sink. We very nearly cried.

I do buy White Rioja Muga from time to time - very nice but certainly not the same.
Yes, the Muga seems more typical of where white Rioja has gone these days, and I miss the oaked and controlled oxidation of the classic style. Tondonia, and the lesser Gravonia, are the main ones I go to these days, but I’ve also recently been introduced to Allende, which has much to commend it and similar in price to Gravonia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back