advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are heading north to stay in Douro next week. It'll be my first visit so very much looking forward to it. Portuguese wine seems underrated IMO -- can anyone clarify why or is it just me?

We are heading north to stay in Douro next week. It'll be my first visit so very much looking forward to it. Portuguese wine seems underrated IMO -- can anyone clarify why or is it just me?

History, marketing, poorer/smaller cousin etc Everyone except the Portuguese wine producer benefits. Enjoy your trip.

post-scriptum-red-2018.jpg

duas-quintas-red-2017.jpg

A couple of wines I enjoyed while on holiday in Portugal
Symington Post Scriptum and Duas Quintas red.

I love a good Douro but it seems most of them are really heavy on alcohol these days. 14 or 14.5 is too much for me. I end up with the burning on my tongue spoiling the fruit. They have to be drunk with a full meal with lighter wines alongside. Same with the Spanish Ribeiras
If someone could recommend something with more like 12, I’d be interested

I love a good Douro but it seems most of them are really heavy on alcohol these days. 14 or 14.5 is too much for me. I end up with the burning on my tongue spoiling the fruit. They have to be drunk with a full meal with lighter wines alongside. Same with the Spanish Ribeiras

You shouldn't taste an alcohol burn in a well made wine even if it is 15%. I don't know of any 12% reds in these post-Parker, global warming days...maybe some beaujolais.
Edit: beaujolais another of those generally underrated (at least in the UK) categories like riesling. And Cinsault.

Last edited:

If you are looking for Douro
https://www.portugalvineyards.com/en/
You can search by alcohol%

I'm informed that today is International Grenache Day. Can't imagine anything more likely to stop me buying Grenache.

I'm informed that today is International Grenache Day.
Yes, the local Grenache growers have already marched up the hill past the Towers in a rule of six-compliant fashion, waving their bottles and banners and making an unholy row from behind their surgical-grade masks. I’m a little worried that some of them are looking to pick a fight with the Mourvèdre mob from the next village - when they start arguing about the perfect proportions it can get very ugly indeed.

I'm 100% convinced it's marketing related, or lack thereof. The wine has been good for a long time now, and they have not struggled with sales for domestic consumption, but export has, traditionally, not been what it is in Spain, Italy, France, Latin America, etc.

@fama I like your choices there, I think Symington make some rather good wines. I think PS is rather good value; Chryseia is rather nice too, but not quite such good value...

I'm 100% convinced it's marketing related, or lack thereof. The wine has been good for a long time now, and they have not struggled with sales for domestic consumption, but export has, traditionally, not been what it is in Spain, Italy, France, Latin America, etc.

@fama I like your choices there, I think Symington make some rather good wines. I think PS is rather good value; Chryseia is rather nice too, but not quite such good value...

Portugal is not a large producer of wine (11th ?). And as you say much is consumed domestically. Exports have been static for years and the most recent value I find is €800m, or less than a tenth of France. It may be cheap locally but export prices can be quite high as they profit maximise: not much room for marketing unless they can increase production. Many probably associate it with Port rather than wine.

Carrefour in Calais made an old man happy today when he went in there to see what was left in their wine fair, and stumbled across this offer.

50360000023_6ff1f3983f.jpg

Amazingly, there were still at least a dozen Guigal CdR 2016 on the shelf. Adding a dozen cheap and likeable Costières de Nîmes (3€/bottle) pushed the total just over 120€, so that meant a nice discount that I can cash in on my pre-quarantine shop on the way home.

50360004863_255272183a.jpg

The Guigal was already on offer in the wine fair at 7.20€, so splitting the 30€ between the dozen bottles makes each one 4.70€, or around £4.25. Sometimes life is good.

We went old school for dinner tonight:

730676-EF-99-FE-487-E-B9-D0-DC4688-B65375.jpg

less sediment than I expected, but it has the tannin, the colour, the richness of flavour... A firm “ça va”; mieux dit: “sí, muy bueno” (the first two on the scale being “no” with a frown, “bueno” said with some hesitation).

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back