advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be my first 2017 Guigal CdR opened yesterday. Don't really like the idea of a massive producer buying in grapes from all over the place and making a really good value wine year after year. But he does and it is.

One of the reasons Guigal's CDR is often so cheap is that buyers are, or at least were, compelled to buy it in proportion to allocations of the Cote Roties. If you want 12 bottles of La Landonne, that'll be a pallet of Cotes du Rhone, thankyou very much. The CDR would be farmed out to the grocers at something close to cost. The profits would be made on the Cote Rotie.

Just bought a pile of stuff from this company

The General Wine Company Shipper Merchant West Sussex Hampshire Surrey

Basically I know the owner's wife, and one thing lead to another, I sent them a list of wines I've been enjoying recently and asked them if they've got anything they think I may like, I think I said max £30 a bottle, and they came up with a list of eight wines for less than £120. These

Capture.jpg

Anyway I'll post if there's anything interesting in the batch.

ED990362-AEAC-47-EA-9179-A03-CB35-D81-F6.jpg

Côtes du Rhône. Domaine Fantavin, La Petite Robe Blanche, 2020. Organic. Outstanding, the back of the bottle says it all: c’est tout à fait une poésie, le chant de la terre et . . . (attendez la chute) . . . l’espérance.

I don’t have a bottle of Cosme open, and, as Bishop Butler famously said, everything is what it is and not another thing. But while this little white dress doesn’t efface the memory of Les Deux Albion — it’s sweeter, not in a bad way — it’s a perfectly gluggable white Rhône, well priced at around £12. I may well polish off the bottle now.

ED990362-AEAC-47-EA-9179-A03-CB35-D81-F6.jpg

Côtes du Rhône. Domaine Fantavin, La Petite Robe Blanche, 2020. Organic. Outstanding, the back of the bottle says it all: c’est tout à fait une poésie, le chant de la terre et . . . (attendez la chute) . . . l’espérance.

I don’t have a glass of Cosme open, and, as Bishop Butler famously said, everything is what it is and not another thing. But while this little white dress doesn’t efface the memory of Les Deux Albion — it’s sweeter, not in a bad way — it’s a perfectly gluggable white Rhône, well priced at around £12. I may well polish off the bottle now.

Your drinking wine in a little white dress?

One of the reasons Guigal's CDR is often so cheap is that buyers are, or at least were, compelled to buy it in proportion to allocations of the Cote Roties. If you want 12 bottles of La Landonne, that'll be a pallet of Cotes du Rhone, thankyou very much. The CDR would be farmed out to the grocers at something close to cost. The profits would be made on the Cote Rotie.

And yet the CdR is one of the best buys at the price so win/win I would have thought. But then perhaps fancy LaLa buyers have no use for wine that cheap and sell it on at cost... might show up some other wines that are 10-20% better but 10 times the price...
With a production of 3-4 million bottles that is a lot of wine to shift.
I would say Coudoulet is better but it is twice the price and I only have the 2016 to compare to.

And yet the CdR is one of the best buys at the price so win/win I would have thought. But then perhaps fancy LaLa buyers have no use for wine that cheap and sell it on at cost... might show up some other wines that are 10-20% better but 10 times the price...
With a production of 3-4 million bottles that is a lot of wine to shift.
I would say Coudoulet is better but it is twice the price and I only have the 2016 to compare to.

Yes, absolutely. I haven't actually tasted the Guigal CDR for years (still less the Cote Roties), but I remember it as being excellent.

Coudoulet is a different creature, to all intents and purposes a declassified single vineyard Beaucastel Chateauneuf.

Why is Chateauneuf du Pape popular?Is it because it's good or the name is easy to say?I don't have much experience of it.I read in 1900 there was 300 hectares now 3200 with 8-14 million bottles per year.
There must be a lot of average CdR there.

Last edited:
^^ and I've never tasted a LaLa. At £500 a bottle I guess I never will. Can't imagine why you need anything better than a mature Beaucastel from a good vintage for any occasion. Diminishing returns set in with a vengeance for fayne wine.

Why is Chateauneuf du Pape popular?Is it because it's good or the name is easy to say?I don't have much experience of it.I read in 1900 there was 300 hectares now 3200 with 8-14 million bottles per year.
There must be a lot of average CdR there.

The first AOC (1935), and for years a generic name for an awful lot of lacklustre wine that sold on the strength of a memorable name. Things have certainly improved, but it remains a rule of thumb that a CdP selling on a restaurant wine list for £35 or £40 is going to be deeply unexciting. A prime example of an appellation where you really need to know the names of the reputable domaines, or have close tabs on the up-and-comers, almost always those which have been subject to succession and have come into the hands of young, dynamic owners.

I needed a reward for managing a day’s paid work yesterday, and what better way than spending some of the proceeds before getting out of bed in order to do some more?

2009 Vieux Télégraphe

Mature or getting there, the same price as the new releases, great year, nice bridge between the 1998s (only two left) and 2016s (don’t want to start those for a while yet.) What’s not to like? I snaffled four and left the remainder for the rest of you. Or for me should I feel the need for another reward after struggling wearily back to the Towers tonight.

Yes, absolutely. I haven't actually tasted the Guigal CDR for years (still less the Cote Roties), but I remember it as being excellent.

Coudoulet is a different creature, to all intents and purposes a declassified single vineyard Beaucastel Chateauneuf.
I bought a case of the 2016 last year (or was it two years ago?) and have been a little underwhelmed by the couple of bottles sampled since. Good, VFM but not great. So I'm leaving the rest for a few years in the hope it will improve.

Best thing to do. 2016 isn't a vintage to drink young, there's often a lot of structure in there which can submerge the fruit. It's a keeper.

Reactions: PsB
Giacomo Conterno Barbera is such a versatile wine: drink it young or after 10 years.
Looks posh enough for any occasion but not a crazy price. However that price is creeping up every year and it is time to stop saying Italian looks cheap compared to French.
An entry-level taste of Italian wine royalty...
The home-made burger was treated to a 2013.

Last edited:
439-C3-C10-920-D-4384-96-DF-B9-D610-A5-ADDB.jpg

The cork broke in the bottle, but a tea-strainer came to the rescue. Very drinkable, so I’d best get on and drink the four remaining bottles.

25% off WAITROSE.
So it is! I was reminded by a mysterious benefactor of this parish, who provided me with some money off vouchers. Managed to come away with a dozen and a half bottles, ranging from Muga Reserva, Cantena, Penfold's Max Shiraz, Laroque St Emillion. Also some Guigal as I've never tried it!
The shelves at this particular Waitrose in Battersea, next to the American Embassy had been stripped as if by a plague of locusts. Red Ferrari driving locusts if the car park was anything to go by. Staff told me that rather than stock being completely denuded that actually the problem wasn't that it had all sold out or that the supply chain had broken down, that the real reason that the shelves were empty was that they didn't have enough staff to replenish the shelves with all the goodies they had in the store room. They even volunteered to dig out anything I specifically wanted.

Yes you can guess where I'll be tomorrow....

So it is! I was reminded by a mysterious benefactor of this parish, who provided me with some money off vouchers. Managed to come away with a dozen and a half bottles, ranging from Muga Reserva, Cantena, Penfold's Max Shiraz, Laroque St Emillion. Also some Guigal as I've never tried it!
The shelves at this particular Waitrose in Battersea, next to the American Embassy had been stripped as if by a plague of locusts. Red Ferrari driving locusts if the car park was anything to go by. Staff told me that rather than stock being completely denuded that actually the problem wasn't that it had all sold out or that the supply chain had broken down, that the real reason that the shelves were empty was that they didn't have enough staff to replenish the shelves with all the goodies they had in the store room. They even volunteered to dig out anything I specifically wanted.

Yes you can guess where I'll be tomorrow....
That's weird because ordered some wine and the guy told me they didn't have staff in the warehouse
,to send it promptly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back