advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a bottle each of Ayala & Billecart-Salmon
which I hope to be taking to my son's.
Someone tell me they're ok.
They're more than OK, IMHO. I have had Ayala NV before a few times and been very pleased with it. Billecart-Salmon is well known and seems to be very well appreciated. The marque makes only one appearance in my Excel cellar book (Cuvee Nicolas Francois 1990 consumed in 1999) but annoyingly there's no note in the entry. It should have been very good.

Tempier left for another day - other things got in the way...

51621423218_5c11ee430c_z.jpg

Another day, other store, another hat. Three bottles of 2016 Bin 389 on the shelf, marked down 34% from the full price of 59€. Not there any more. 7€ VAT refund means £28/bottle!

It turns out I was lying about the Bandol Rosé waiting for another day. In my defence I didn’t know I was until my car went autonomous, pulled off the autoroute, drove me to Olivier Vins, opened the doors and pushed me out.

Half an hour later I emerged with three bottles (final cost £18 each) and three bottles of Pigeoulet to bring me up to the the VAT refund trigger level (100€) - they cost an outrageous £7.85!! Again, the staff couldn’t have been more helpful - just like the customer service folk at Auchan this morning, when I apologised for taking up so much of their time they said not at all, they were still learning the process themselves.

I. Must. Stop. NOW. I only brought three trilbies with me, and I’ve used them all.

51623293080_f4f08829a6.jpg

A new CT review, presumably written in real time as the bottle was emptied.

2015 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape
23/10/2021 - BAJAYNGO WROTE: NR
Always a treat to drink Beaucastel. Consistently impeccable structure love the higher percentage of more bad with the graphite and Russ to Citi still all of the fig cake Gary and Bradley fruit do you want from city pier.

Hilarious. You certainly have an eye for the flipe ting Larry and George Patton yang till gobberdong.

A new CT review, presumably written in real time as the bottle was emptied.

2015 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape
23/10/2021 - BAJAYNGO WROTE: NR
Always a treat to drink Beaucastel. Consistently impeccable structure love the higher percentage of more bad with the graphite and Russ to Citi still all of the fig cake Gary and Bradley fruit do you want from city pier.

3 people found that review helpful! Presumably after it was corrected to:
'Always a treat to drink Beaucastel. Consistently impeccable structure love the higher percentage of mourvedre with the graphite and rusticity. Still all of the fig cake and fig cake fruit you want from CdP.
Still prefer your version.
I wonder if the fruit of fig cake are figs ?

Last edited:
I wonder if Gary and Bradley got the memo about getting fruit from the city pier.

3 people found that review helpful! Presumably after it was corrected to:
'Always a treat to drink Beaucastel. Consistently impeccable structure love the higher percentage of mourvedre with the graphite and rusticity. Still all of the fig cake and fig cake fruit you want from CdP.

I’m very uneasy about the way Gary and Bradley have simply been airbrushed out of existence. This is the way Pol Pot started, if you ask me.

Great wine,it deserves to be consumed outdoors however with some salsa Verde and the smell of
burning flesh in the background.

It turns out I was lying about the Bandol Rosé waiting for another day. In my defence I didn’t know I was until my car went autonomous, pulled off the autoroute, drove me to Olivier Vins, opened the doors and pushed me out.

Half an hour later I emerged with three bottles (final cost £18 each) and three bottles of Pigeoulet to bring me up to the the VAT refund trigger level (100€) - they cost an outrageous £7.85!! Again, the staff couldn’t have been more helpful - just like the customer service folk at Auchan this morning, when I apologised for taking up so much of their time they said not at all, they were still learning the process themselves.

I. Must. Stop. NOW. I only brought three trilbies with me, and I’ve used them all.

51623293080_f4f08829a6.jpg
Good find. There’s no rosé left for sale at the vineyard.

Still loving the very-affordable, perhaps too easy-to-drink and (in my uneducated opinion) better than most stuff you get in the supermarket at the price, “Jammy red roo”. I have no idea why it appeals quite so much. I am sure it will be the antithesis of all of these el-posho £50 bottles above, but I’m liking it. Maybe a little too much

Still loving the very-affordable, perhaps too easy-to-drink and (in my uneducated opinion) better than most stuff you get in the supermarket at the price, “Jammy red roo”. I have no idea why it appeals quite so much. I am sure it will be the antithesis of all of these el-posho £50 bottles above, but I’m liking it. Maybe a little too much

I think we can agree enjoyment of wine is more about the time ,the place ,the people,rather than cost .(Bacchus)

More proof of the Marchbanks Theory of Montus which states that every supermarket has had at least one bewildered bottle looking out of place on its shelves at some time. Today’s was in the local Carrefour Market, with no price tag to be seen. It turned out to be a leftover from the Wine Fair, priced at 17.95€, or as close to £15 as makes no difference. I grabbed it to go with tonight’s meal as I’m already over my duty-free allowance.

On the left is a bottle I discovered in the cellar which I see cost me £2.99 at Majestic Calais a couple of years ago. Nothing wrong with it at all, and it is making the leaf-raking and wood-stacking go with a swing on a beautiful afternoon.

51624037402_0f6cfa3395.jpg

Later: I’ve now had a chance to look at the Carrefour Market Wine Fair catalogue (it finished today.) Guess what - no Montus in there at all. So this really was a lost bottle - the third time I’ve found Montus on the shelves of a supermarket that doesn’t stock it. Very strange.

Last edited:
Of other Sainsbury's wines Château des Jacques Moulin-à-Vent (Louis Jadot) gets a favourable score from me (but with a caveat that the 2018 needs at least two hours in the decanter).

A nice suggestion, especially at £12 rather than £16! Thank you for mentioning it.

Raventos i Blanc De Nit Rosé 2017 (sparkling)
Jean-Paul Brun Beaujolais 'Le Ronsay' 2018
Nathalie Vigot bourgogne rouge 2017
Thinking of these for xmas.

At last more of my wines are getting a bit of maturity. Opening a Crystallum Cinema 2015 this evening.
edit very pinot, very smooth, very nice after you get past the silly red wax top.

Last edited:

WS organic grillo £7.95 good to see a lot of
"biodynamic" wines from from France and Italy,
as we all know grapes are amongst the most
heavily polluted of fruits with pesticide residues.
ps.I am well aware "organic" in most cases doesn't
mean no pesticides just less, maybe biodynamic
means none.
I quite liked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back