advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't mind some of this but it's become really hard to find online.
Not Guigal but wine society has Tavel and Guigal CdR Rose.

this is a surprise

csm_34598Hfl_o_68f7d3e41d.png

Last edited:
Well I opened a bottle of Guigal rose which I bought from Waitrose, £12, perfectly drinkable, rather pleasant, without being very distinguished.

This thread may have been running for 2/3 years but too early to think about Xmas Day 2021 wine for me.
The chat about Catena a while back reminded me about their chardonnay. My 2015 finished long ago but opening a 2018 Historic Rows tonight. I guess you all know there is roast chicken on the way...:)

Just bought a pile of stuff from this company

The General Wine Company Shipper Merchant West Sussex Hampshire Surrey

Basically I know the owner's wife, and one thing lead to another, I sent them a list of wines I've been enjoying recently and asked them if they've got anything they think I may like, I think I said max £30 a bottle, and they came up with a list of eight wines for less than £120. These

Capture.jpg

Anyway I'll post if there's anything interesting in the batch.

C10-E1248-5138-4646-94-AE-C7834-F64-F47-A.jpg

Holm Oak “wine” from Tasmania has all the charm and finesse of battery acid. It is, they say, made with Pinot Gris.

Now you know they were not kidding when they said "left field", "wild barrel ferment" and "natural acidity".
Oh well, you've still got 7 other bottles to dip into.

The post above is quite to the point because I’m wondering what to do with it. I mean, it’s not drinkable by me at least. If I braised some chicken in it, with tomatoes and saffron and fennel - like a bouillabaisse but with chicken instead of fish (I can see the frenchies’ faces as they read that!) - would it ruin the dish?

The post above is quite to the point because I’m wondering what to do with it. I mean, it’s not drinkable by me at least. If I braised some chicken in it, with tomatoes and saffron and fennel - like a bouillabaisse but with chicken instead of fish (I can see the frenchies’ faces as they read that!) - would it ruin the dish?
If you really find it unbearable, it's probably better to bin it than risk messing up a good chicken dish.
Maybe try it for a kir or something, the crème de cassis might take the edge off.

Bother! I just missed International Prokupac day. Did anyone else celebrate? But the good news is it's still Prokupac week!

But I see the 22nd is Champagne Day and Carignan Day is on 28th. Hoorah! And November and December seem to be full of good cheer :). But nothing in January for the winter blues :( so I shall have to create my own reasons to keep happy.

To compensate for yesterday’s disaster I’ve started early:

D3-DFBF4-B-6-D91-41-CA-83-B5-5-E0-CD85-A6-B95.jpg

Goru 38 barrels is totally OK, easy to drink, not a huge amount of character - we’re taking international style Spanish type wines here - maybe too oaky but it seems to be getting a better balance as it gets more oxygen. It’s a taste we’re all extremely familiar with, a well made example of a wine style we’ve known all our lives. I certainly would be glad to have a few more bottles of this - it could be worth buying a more recent vintage and holding on to it.

Wow delicious creamy Chardonnay.
A modest £11.99 at majestic.
That must be a must do drive Santiago Chile to Mendoza in my dreams.

Last edited:
The planned xmas wine here is a magnum of 1998 Phelps' Insignia; there's some Bollinger RD as an aperitif, and a 1946 PX sherry for dessert/cheese in the evening. Rather looking forward to it - and hoping like hell that Christmas celebrations with friends and family are allowed, or it all goes into the cellar for another year and we'll go for something else.

The planned xmas wine here is a magnum of 1998 Phelps' Insignia; there's some Bollinger RD as an aperitif, and a 1946 PX sherry for dessert/cheese in the evening. Rather looking forward to it - and hoping like hell that Christmas celebrations with friends and family are allowed, or it all goes into the cellar for another year and we'll go for something else.

Nah just drink the 1998 magnum anyway: you will need to cheer up. And it is time to drink it up according to Wine Spectator. If you pass on the sherry I'm sure you'll be fine... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back