advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can thank me later. Do you even have space in the cellar ? Have you got to 120 bottles yet ?
You don't want to do the next trip until April: by that time the lorry queue may be gone.

You can thank me later. Do you even have space in the cellar ? Have you got to 120 bottles yet ?
You don't want to do the next trip until April: by that time the lorry queue may be gone.
Debatable...
119 (true!)
Just pre-Easter probably, whenever that is. There were already substantial lorry queues at the UK tunnel terminal on Tuesday. I’m told they are worse this side.

Ive probably already said this, but if you open the 18 l'Ancien tomorrow, drink it the following day. It's a little solid if you're too quick to the glass. In 6 months it will be singing, and it will continue to do so for perhaps 5 years, even more.

2019 Ronsay is catnip, the stuff is crazily gouleyant. Sunier's Wild Soul has 'Pur Jus' written on the label. Ronsay defines it.

This tends to be the result...

JzHYd6.jpg

...and its only Wednesday.

Oh, hang on. Perhaps its Thursday.

How weird is that: I was sure it is Wednesday until 3 hours ago. But maybe if I had had 10 bottles it would be Wednesday.
Anyway it is confit de canard today and, therefore, Coudouletday.
(I love the online food matching advice: burgundy, CnP, Madiran, rioja, young bordeaux, old bordeaux, riesling, etc I suspect Le Ronsay would work well too !)

Ive probably already said this, but if you open the 18 l'Ancien tomorrow, drink it the following day. It's a little solid if you're too quick to the glass. In 6 months it will be singing, and it will continue to do so for perhaps 5 years, even more.

2019 Ronsay is catnip, the stuff is crazily gouleyant. Sunier's Wild Soul has 'Pur Jus' written on the label. Ronsay defines it.

This tends to be the result...

JzHYd6.jpg

...and its only Wednesday.

Oh, hang on. Perhaps its Thursday.
I wasn’t going to rush into l’Ancien as I had read similar advice about letting it age a little on a website. You may know the one. I’m assured by Madame at JPB that the Ronsay will arrive tomorrow, so I still plan to give that a try then. I have the remains of last night’s Mégaphone to see me through the curfew tonight. And as JPB shut down for C*******s tomorrow that means Satan is definitely behind me.

The Wild Soul lost out on this Beaujolais run - when I found I could get Sunier’s Régnié for less, buying it suddenly didn’t seem to make a lot of sense. I’m hoping the Burgaud Beaujolais-Villages (also arriving tomorrow) will be an adequate substitution. Most likely I’ll never know, of course. @fama rates the Burgaud, I think.

I make it a habit not to get out of bed until I’m pretty sure I’ve worked out what day of the week it is. This means I can get up to an extra half-hour some days, but taking time to think carefully about it means I’m right about 90% of the time.

I was given a gentle verbal slap today over my generally confused and haphazard nature - I explained to a friend in an email that I had lost my reading glasses while out and about three times this year, but had been lucky enough to get them back somehow each time. I explained that I now wore a bootlace around my neck with the specs hanging from them. She replied that in her view it might be better to hang a placard saying ‘Please look after this bear.’ I’m sure she loves me really.

(I love the online food matching advice: burgundy, CnP, Madiran, rioja, young bordeaux, old bordeaux, riesling, etc)

As a result of a purchase at the Carrefour wine fair a few months ago I got some prezzies. Quite a nice corkscrew with one of those extension levers, and a rotary food matcher which pretty much sums up my ‘broad brush-strokes’ approach. For example, if you go to ‘viande rouge (rôti)’ there is a little cartoon of a leg of lamb and a suggestion of ‘Beaujolais, Bourgogne, Bordeaux, Rhône.’ But if you go to ‘viande rouge’ you get a little cartoon of a steak and a suggestion of ‘Beaujolais, Bourgogne, Bordeaux, Sud-Ouest, Rhône.’ Aha!

Unfortunately the 2018 is a tad better imho than the 2019.Le Ronsay.
The 2018 Ronsay is better than the 2019? Blimey, if the 2019 is as good as the description above, then the 2018... - no worries, the 2018 doesn’t seem to be available over here any more anyway.

Prices in France are much lower than you see in the UK, and I'm not familiar with the UK home branded French wines, but, for me, a Cahors/Bordeaux/ Cote de Rhone at around 6-7 euros here is unbeatable. Whites can be a lot more expensive, but a decent Alsace Gerwurtztraminer at 10€ or a Sauterne of earlier than 2017 at > 10€ are hard to beart. There are lots more, especially in white, but not sure whether they are available in the UK. I assume Montbazillac is, in which case, talk to your bank manager and get an overdraft.

Most fizzy wines are good, but, for me, the non-French Prosecco mentioned above is the one to beat.Somehow the have more body than the French, Spanish, or German etc equivalents.

By the way, there's nothing wrong with a Mateus Rosé, nor Chilean wine nor, in particular, Australian wines, although price tends go against them. Hint: if you go to Oz, head up to Everton and Serengale vineyards. Brilliant wines, excellent accommodation available, but don't expect cheap.

At those prices it's Saul Goodman.
Had to look him up on Wikipedia. I’ve had a box set for a couple of years, but it’s still in its cellophane wrap. One day I’ll get the ref, but as I’ve turned the TV on about six times in as many months it could take some time!

Your ok the JMB eclipses both.(imho)

Eclipses is a bit harsh. It is a very different creature.

Good wines, beautifully made, but I've always struggled with them personally, I find that they tend to be quite 'structured', and arguably a bit atypical.

As you say, these things are very personal. MB might not get J-P B at all, given that he's not a Pinot lover.

Of course such comments are mere booze fuelled
hyperbole however in the moment ..it's a bit like wine
it's different depending on the day the grapes are picked to when it's drunk ..it's a living thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back