advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Giuseppe Negro Barbaresco Pian Cavallo 2014 today. Not as good as PdB. Fortunately I have only 1 more bottle. Can't win them all.
IIRC I was talked into them by a charming young lady when what I ordered was not available...:rolleyes:

51345354527_ac184e5ed6.jpg

On CellarTracker, SMAGOWAN (probably not the one you are thinking of) said

“Oh my. This may be the worst bottle of wine I have bought in the last 25 years; perhaps the worst ever. And it was $25 at Total Wine and on their “staff recommendations” list. It was like drinking cherry kool-aid made with robutussin cough syrup. Sweet, syrupy and cherry. Yuck. Three of us tried sips and then the rest of the bottle was fed to the local sewer system.”

Marchbanks said

“I really liked this.”

Yet more proof I have the lumpen sense of taste of a Covid-suffering donkey. Earlier this went beautifully with Mingus’ Town Hall Concert and brilliantly with a chunk of glorious Poiret de Meuse (always a red-letter day when Olivier in Calais have some for sale.)

51347094220_0d4cc9d78a.jpg

Now it’s forming a backdrop to more excellent ranting and genius guitar-playing from Marc Ribot on Ceramic Dog’s new record Hope.

‘I don’t accept any aspect of capitalist society! I refuse! I resist!!...
‘I don’t accept my agenda, or your agenda
‘Or offenders, Fender string benders or money lenders!’

When he got as far as the phrase ‘mainstream media’ I realised he is obviously a contributor to pfm political threads. I wonder what his alias is?

06-A5298-E-A90-A-41-FB-A830-945-D45-F05-E4-C.jpg

Cellar Tracker says this should have been drunk about five years ago, but after this evening, I disagree. Completely. It was very nice indeed.

Back onto safer ground with Castello di Ama. After reading the rather disparaging comment that it is 'pizza wine' on CT we are having it with pizza. And very nice it is too. Better than the last wine I had at home, and cheaper. And the low 12.5% is a plus too.
Waiting for the Proms.

51351771490_f1f9d72201_z.jpg

An unexpected bonus alfresco night. I really can’t find out much about Malbec du Clos that isn’t on the label except ‘it is made to be drunk young.’ It’s from Clos Triguedina as you can see. It was fine - perhaps a little weedy compared to Malbec from the Young and Exciting Riccitelli, but then that is double the price at £16. It was certainly streets ahead of some crappy French Malbec I bought not long ago at Tesco for the same price.

This went well with a pork casserole-y thing and wonderfully with more Poiret de Meuse (see above) which I’m beginning to think might make a great partner to any wine.

Musically, more Ceramic Dog, I’m afraid - this time their debut, Party Intellectuals. The opening track, their er, deconstruction of Break On Through will leave you breathless. Marc is a stupendous guitarist and also a great wordsmith. Ten times more talented than his old mucker Tom Waits IMO. (Takes cover...)

Nigel Blackwell is ten times better than both of them.

Anyway, tonight I am drinking 2011 Pommard, Les Argillières, 1er Cru, Domaine Lejeune. I am down to the last two of the half-dozen I bought back in 2017.

(Mrs H and younger daughter, both protesting that they 'don't really like red wine' nevertheless managed a couple of glasses each).

Our daughter also professes that she "doesn't really like red wine" but has scoffed half my Chianti this evening.

The Castillo is the same grape as the Bandol but different terroir I suppose ,it would have been nice to try the Bandol again to refresh my memory but it's still stuck in France.If anything the Castillo seemed sweeter and costs way less than the esteemed Tempier.
No music watching the Rake on Netflix.

06-A5298-E-A90-A-41-FB-A830-945-D45-F05-E4-C.jpg

Cellar Tracker says this should have been drunk about five years ago, but after this evening, I disagree. Completely. It was very nice indeed.
I think in general Cellar Trackers are in too much of a hurry. Beaucastel 2017 - ‘way too young.’ You don’t say? They need to be more relaxed at the other end of the timescale too.

I was expecting a delivery of two rattan chairs I guess it's nice when something turns up out of the blue,
you would think though for 15 ducats L&W could at
least let you know.

^ agreed. Bloody annoying when they do that. Or rather don't do it.
Can't be that hard to monitor deliveries and send a message, if not a quick call.
Who would pay if the £100 worth was nicked off your doorstep ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back