advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovely is 4, like excellent or really good. I think Just friggin beautiful might be 5.

This 5 point scoring would cause confusion here. i started with a 5 point system and eventually using a .5 to fine tune. my wife gave me stick, and that was when i then went for ignore/buy again score, much happier now.

i have well over 40 different wines from various producers and i have to keep it simple, probably do make mistakes but that is due to my poor pairing skills

This 5 point scoring would cause confusion here. i started with a 5 point system and eventually using a .5 to fine tune. my wife gave me stick, and that was when i then went for ignore/buy again score, much happier now.

i have well over 40 different wines from various producers and i have to keep it simple, probably do make mistakes but that is due to my poor pairing skills
TBH I just trust to memory. I can remember important things like which wine I liked, even if such trivia as ‘where did I park the car?’ is usually beyond me. I only use any kind of rating if I’m trying to communicate to others.

I’m not sure I have any pairing skills at all, beyond the obvious ‘don’t drink a gentle wine with blockbuster food.’* I tend to go with whatever I fancy on a given night irrespective of what I’m eating, and not worry overmuch about the meal. I’d say two-thirds of my wine-drinking is post-food anyway. And, after all, I guess that’s how wines are evaluated in the first place - I don’t imagine Jancis takes a big pot of Bourguignon to the Pinot Noir tasting to check that it matches up.

*I don’t have many disasters - a glass of Sancerre with Roquefort was the only recent one that comes to mind. In fact, I think cheese is the food for which I’d take most care picking a wine.

Ossobuco (Osso bucco ? Osso buco ?) today. So back to that (relatively) cheap and cheerful nebbiolo G D Vajra I think.
Ohne_musik gave it 90 'Lip-smackingly quaffable and joyful, if a bit on the simpler side.'
So perhaps not up to JFB level.

Ossobuco (Osso bucco ? Osso buco ?) today. So back to that (relatively) cheap and cheerful nebbiolo G D Vajra I think.
Ohne_musik gave it 90 'Lip-smackingly quaffable and joyful, if a bit on the simpler side.'
So perhaps not up to JFB level.
Hugh Johnson recommends this for osso bucco "low-tannin, supple red such as Dolcetto d'Alba or Pinot noir. Or dry Italian white such as Soave."

^ yes a white if a risotto seems to be a suggestion. AFAIK a risotto is not on the cards which is fine as I would prefer a red today.
Otherwise almost any red from Barolo to Australian Shiraz to lighter reds like Barbera seem to get the nod. I might switch to an Aussie Syrah (Leeuwin Art, being posh, prefer to call it syrah rather than shiraz).
Seems wrong not to have an Italian wine though.

Risotto?
I'm always bothered when I see "Shiraz". Why bring an Iranian city into a discussion about red wine? Omar Khayyam is long gone.

Going to try vin jaune with the roast chicken. I have an 1983 (unfortunately kept in dreadful conditions for the first 10 years, so we'll see what has survived and compare with a more modern one (2010).

^ probably just a nod that wine was produced in Iran for centuries before anywhere in the New World. Doesn't bother me.
Perhaps the Australians were worried the French would make them change the name from Syrah after a number of years.

Despite CT telling me I have two Vajra I can only find one. This has thrown me so far off balance I will be opening a Nerello Mascalese for the Osso Buco. It is sometimes referred to as an Italian burgundy... think Monica Bellucci rather than a Nebbiolo Sophia Loren. Less than 14.5% would make it perfect but growing in the heat of Sicily...

I am on Mon Oncle Marchbanks’ Holiday, to amalgamate a couple of Jacques Tati titles. There’s a little manual labour involved, but not an onerous amount. The weather today was pleasant enough to take lunch on the fly outside while I was lawn-mowing, and being a sort of holiday I abandoned my usual habit of not drinking until the evening. The Alsace PG went nicely with the imported sourdough and local-ish Ch’ti Crémeux cheese. After a quick snooze and a shower I’m now on the Rochefort course looking forward to steak, salad and Mégaphone. Life is good sometimes.

50726321808_44f1ec4718.jpg

The neighbour’s chickens took great interest in my efforts, as ever. Not relevant at all, it just amuses me that they are attracted towards the mower and the beardy git operating it rather than scarpering to the other end of their run.

50726331968_eb651b06a5.jpg

Three wine deliveries today - 21 bottles of Julien Sunier’s finest and a dozen (Chardonnay en Fût and l’Ancien) from J-PB. I’m hoping the dozen Ronsay might arrive from the vineyard tomorrow - if they do one brave soldier might not see the end of the day.

As a misanthropic, unsociable hermit I’ve quite taken to lockdown in its various guises, but I think I actually prefer the current French curfew. Out here in the middle of nowhere there’s very little sound anyway, but last night, with the tiny trickle of local traffic reduced to nil and no passenger trains on the main line 100m away all that was left was the sound of owls and a few distant dogs. And Bill Evans, but he was inside.

Last edited:
Trade body Interbeaujolais has said the 2018 harvest will "go down in history as a legendary vintage" alongside the likes of 2017, 2015 and 2009.
Of course my beaujolais is 2016. Can't win them all.

The l’Ancien is 2018. The Chardonnay is 2019 as will be the Ronsay, when it gets here. Would you recommend giving the Ancien a go now, or should I wait twelve months?

Try one to see if you want another case ! Last chance to fill the car up.

Try one to see if you want another case ! Last chance to fill the car up.
2x JP Brun Morgon Cote de Py, 2x JP Brun Bourgogne Rouge and 4x Burgaud Beaujolais-Villages have now fallen into my Vinatis.fr trolley. I blame you fairly and squarely for putting ideas in my head. And @andrew d for a £10 voucher which turned into 11.11€ and covered virtually all of the next-day delivery charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back