advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, a bit steep compared to the likes of the Wine Soc or Tanners. I didn’t consider it as I’m a Cellar Circle member and get free delivery of any quantity as a perk. Sorry.

No problem.A garden project was cancelled due to
delays in getting timber ,a large deposit was returned which I regarded as a windfall,ergo I
bought 5.Lets hope it's good.

Lets hope it's good.
Eek! Yes, let’s. Blimey, my brain read that in a Sicilian accent for some reason.

Anyway, the remaining three have now been hoovered up, so either Christmas Wine has a wider readership than we imagined or someone else knows a decent price when they see it.

Last edited:
Good news. For some reason I was under the impression you had finished your pile already.

Not at all: 24 still squirrelled away. And I haven't started on big brother yet. I should have bought 12 of those as you did. Still the best S.Rhone vintage since 2010.

51334451321_da670d6415_z.jpg

I’d never tried this before last night, although I knew it had a good reputation. It cost me £16.50 in a Waitrose promo in March 2020. Mainly Syrah with decreasing amounts of Grenache, Cinsault and CS (plus 1% Viognier, taste that if you can) it put me in mind of a rather good Languedoc. Very enjoyable - but I didn’t get the chocolate bit at all. A fair bit of oak too, as far as this oakophobe is concerned - but just on the right side of too much. It went spectacularly well with a chunk of Bleu du Vercors, and otherwise was matched with a lot of enjoyable guitar abuse and ranty grumpiness from Marc Ribot on Ceramic Dog’s Your Turn.

I like it, and I like the oak. If I had it for £40 in a restaurant I wouldn't feel too ripped off. My negative is that it's somehow generic. It's like a professionally made, well made, industrial wine. Rather than a lovingly crafted artisanal quirky thing -- it's not Cosme or indeed not the chemin a moscou.

My negative is that it's somehow generic. It's like a professionally made, well made, industrial wine. Rather than a lovingly crafted artisanal quirky thing -- it's not Cosme or indeed not the chemin a moscou.
I suppose a French winemaker would nod sagely at that and mutter at length about the terroir.

I must try some of that Chemin de Moscou. It costs much the same at Majestic as it would to buy from an online merchant in France. And as the Jancis franchise rates it at 17 rather than the habitual 16.5 it is plainly fantastic.

I like it, and I like the oak. If I had it for £40 in a restaurant I wouldn't feel too ripped off. My negative is that it's somehow generic. It's like a professionally made, well made, industrial wine. Rather than a lovingly crafted artisanal quirky thing -- it's not Cosme or indeed not the chemin a moscou.

This is not fair. I mean it's true but it's not fair. I've just polished off half a bottle of chocolate and I'm looking forward to the other half, when I was a bit younger I would have dunk it straight away -- actually maybe I will. It is a nice wine.

This is not fair. I mean it's true but it's not fair. I've just polished off half a bottle of chocolate and I'm looking forward to the other half, when I was a bit younger I would have dunk it straight away -- actually maybe I will. It is a nice wine.
Go for it. I did last Friday night with a bottle of Perrin Ventoux. It’s difficult to stop drinking that at the best of times, but I particularly needed it to wind down after a spectacularly arduous trip up the M25 and M40. Coming after a Rochefort, I admit I regretted it in the morning, but only for two or three hours.

Great wine list. The Rabaja 2013 is only £6 more than the blended 2015 so I would choose that. Pricing looks same as a shop so very good value.
Isn’t their approach to charge their retail +£5-£10 corkage, and if you don’t like the wine list you can buy something from the shop and they’ll charge you corkage to drink it there?

Rochefort 6 today MB. I like it. Told you I am lightweight.
You can’t just drink the 8 and 6, say you like them, then leave it there and not try the 10, man! That’s akin to saying you enjoyed Valpolicella and Ripasso but you are not bothering with Amarone. Or listening to Monk and Miles and thinking that’s good enough, I’ll leave Mingus for someone else...

You can’t just drink the 8 and 6, say you like them, then leave it there and not try the 10, man! That’s akin to saying you enjoyed Valpolicella and Ripasso but you are not bothering with Amarone. Or listening to Monk and Miles and thinking that’s good enough, I’ll leave Mingus for someone else...

Ha the 10 is coming: I'm building up to it.
Actually I'm not sure I do like Amarone (too sweet, heavy and expensive) more than Valpolicella. At least at Quintarelli level (haven't tried my Dal Forno yet).
And I do like Monk, Miles and Mingus. A lot.

Last edited:
Isn’t their approach to charge their retail +£5-£10 corkage, and if you don’t like the wine list you can buy something from the shop and they’ll charge you corkage to drink it there?

Wish every restaurant would do that :D

I've never seen that full list before usually it's just a
sheet with maybe 6 reds/white at restaurant prices.
Ofcourse you can buy from the deli,corkage used to be only £4 I think it went up but seems now £5.
That list seems to be inclusive.
Anyway it's a great place.
I'll find out exactly tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back