advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect the Bird in Hand sparkling pinot noir is now the 2020 vintage (Waitrose Brent Cross two days ago).

This summer I bought a half-dozen bottles of the 2019 (EDIT - not the 2017) (still one left I think) and it's a very well made very refreshing fizz that for the £15 less 25% discount I bought it for was really good value. Just slightly sweet for my normal taste but that was very well balanced by the pinot-style fruit and made really good drinking. I bought a bottle of the 2020 and will see how it compares at some point.

A day of abstinence yesterday as I don’t know the tastes of the eventual recipient of this afternoon’s blood donation. Surely it would be a simple thing to note on medical records - next to ‘blood type’ a small box marked ‘Preferences’ in which you could put a brief note, something like ‘Gigondas and points south’ for example? I’ve tried mentioning it to the Blood Nurses, but they seem disappointingly unreceptive.

But I digress.

I always imagine I will leap out of bed the following morning at the crack of dawn with a smile on my face, throw open the curtains, spar for a few moments with an imaginary opponent and decide that this is the new, booze-free me. In reality, I’m just as bleary, confused, bad-tempered and badly in need of another hour’s kip as every other morning. Probably the better of the two alternatives, if I’m honest.

All points south of Gigondas excludes Sablet, Seguret, Cairanne and Rasteau, not to mention the entire Northern Rhone. Even setting Burgundy aside, I believe I would have to refuse your blood, like a sort of vinous Jehovah's Witness.

A Dionysos Wetness?

All points south of Gigondas excludes Sablet, Seguret, Cairanne and Rasteau, not to mention the entire Northern Rhone. Even setting Burgundy aside, I believe I would have to refuse your blood, like a sort of vinous Jehovah's Witness.

I think you have misunderstood my plan. It’s the recipient who would have a brief note on his records stating his/her preferred area, so - for example - yours might say ‘Vosne to Aloxe’. If you should be unfortunate enough to need blood, someone would be sent into the Burgundy section of the Bank to fish out a few bags that were as close a match as possible. Obviously if the only ones available were marked let’s say, Mâconnais, it wouldn’t be perfect but at least would go some way to minimising the shock.

With an extravagance born out of abstinence yesterday I am contemplating a Ridge Geyserville this evening.

I've been stretching my mouth
To let those big words come right out

One of the few that left a successful group and got, arguably, even better.

Did you, in the end? Which one was it?

The end of the 2004, on to the 2012... The first bottle tonight was off. Lovely colour, great on the nose, but clearly deceased (one in six, and the first bottle in quite a while that hasn’t made it to bring opened). The second one, is very much a ça va bien. I don’t drink much white wine, but I’m quite partial to Chateauneuf blanc.

color-Space-k-CGColor-Space-Display-P3-camera-Type-Wide-macro-Enabled-true-quality-Mode-2-device-Til.jpg

I love Châteauneuf blanc.
Funny how this thread led from last Xmas to this year’s.

The end of the 2004, on to the 2012... The first bottle tonight was off. Lovely colour, great on the nose, but clearly deceased (one in six, and the first bottle in quite a while that hasn’t made it to bring opened). The second one, is very much a ça va bien. I don’t drink much white wine, but I’m quite partial to Chateauneuf blanc.

Sounds interesting, may well try and source a few

Chevauchée part deux now sorted with an order from Domaine des Forges. The main event is a few each of their lovely 1er Cru Chaume les Onnis from 2017/8. Then some lesser but still excellent St Aubin, and to make up the numbers some Tendresse demi-sec and a couple of their Anjou rouge cuvées - at least one of which I remember the Wine Soc selling, which I like to think is some sort of recommendation.

I’ve found a merchant with offers on some Sunier that I am finding hard to resist, so part three may be following shortly.

Why do younger wines appear to improve if racked for a few months?, or do they. We have noticed a big difference and the majority are screw caps so makes little sense to me

Not trying to be trite, but maybe it’s because they’re too young? Give some of them a couple of years and see what happens.

Did you, in the end? Which one was it?

Thank you for asking. 2013. Very smooth and enjoyable except for a taste of liquorice which I didn't remember so much before on Ridge wines.
I see on CT mentions of mint so maybe that is how some describe it.
It had an hour of air but I'm thinking that wasn't enough as it is at the start of a long drinking window.
I'll be looking for that liquorice thing next time which is not going to help.

Chevauchée part deux now sorted with an order from Domaine des Forges. The main event is a few each of their lovely 1er Cru Chaume les Onnis from 2017/8. Then some lesser but still excellent St Aubin, and to make up the numbers some Tendresse demi-sec and a couple of their Anjou rouge cuvées - at least one of which I remember the Wine Soc selling, which I like to think is some sort of recommendation.

I’ve found a merchant with offers on some Sunier that I am finding hard to resist, so part three may be following shortly.

Please give a route map in due course so we may follow your exploits blow by blow. If you encounter resistance it might be wise to say you are Welsh or Scots (or even better Irish) if outnumbered, especially if you hear talk of poison. Or is it poisson ?

2013. Very smooth and enjoyable except for a taste of liquorice which I didn't remember so much before on Ridge wines.
I see on CT mentions of mint so maybe that is how some describe it.
I’ve tasted mint in one or two Rhône reds in the past, although I can only recall liquorice in Sauvignon Blancs (Saint-Bris particularly.)

Not trying to be trite, but maybe it’s because they’re too young? Give some of them a couple of years and see what happens.

That was my original thinking, but I was not sure say, how 6 weeks would improve the wine. wondering if a bit of auto suggestion going on.
I know sometimes the reverse happens too, maybe poor wine pairing skills on odd occassions

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back