advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just seen a young lady sporting a tote bag which said, "Sex and drugs and pinot noir." I gave it a google and seems it's commercially available. https://noblerot.co.uk/shop/tote-bag-and-accessories/bag-winos-with-attitude
Apparently "They’re the perfect size for transporting marrows, turnips, a leg of lamb or the spoils from a visit to the wine shop."
I'm not a pinot noir fan but made me wonder what slogan I would want on a tote bag or indeed what other pfmers would want to be seen with?

Just seen a young lady sporting a tote bag which said, "Sex and drugs and pinot noir." I gave it a google and seems it's commercially available. https://noblerot.co.uk/shop/tote-bag-and-accessories/bag-winos-with-attitude
Apparently "They’re the perfect size for transporting marrows, turnips, a leg of lamb or the spoils from a visit to the wine shop."
I'm not a pinot noir fan but made me wonder what slogan I would want on a tote bag or indeed what other pfmers would want to be seen with?
I remember being struck by that slogan on the cover of "Noble Rot" magazine in a Barnes and Noble store during downtime on a business trip to Washington State in the US (a long way from the restaurants of that name). A magazine whose cover seemed to match the attitude of the slogan (and other slogans I see it used). Edit: e.g.
"Shrine to the vine"
"Winos with attitude"
"Gotta say yes to another excess"
"Wine from another galaxy"
"Cosmic chardonnay"

Palmer 2022 is out £300 bt.ib."Compacted and dense yet weightless" one for the @Marchbanks scrap book.
At £30 the second wine(2016) of Brane Cantenac looks good value imho.

Palmer 2022 is out £300 bt.ib."Compacted and dense yet weightless" one for the @Marchbanks scrap book.
Now when I was a lad, density used to equal mass divided by volume. And given that weight and mass are directly related in a standard gravitational situation I’m struggling to see how something can be dense yet weightless. I suppose if it had infinite volume… but then if there was an infinite volume of Chateau Palmer 2022 they wouldn’t get away with charging £300/bottle for it, it would be free. Free-ish, at least.

Perhaps I’m being boringly classical and not thinking outside the box. What we really need is for two or three people who like to think they know about quantum physics to solve the conundrum for us, then start arguing amongst themselves for a few dozen pages while their respective bosses think they are actually hard at work on those reports they are supposed to have completed by the end of the week.

Last edited:
I know why German wine doesn't sell: the names are too complex.
Donnhoff Oberhauser Leistenberg Riesling Kabinett.
Lovely stuff.

Lovely stuff.
You must be right,so much easier to ask for a bottle of Kung Fu Riesling, though perhaps a tad cringey.
On second thoughts I'd rather ask for the German.

Lovely stuff.
I’d say informative rather than complex… Grower/Village/Vineyard/Variety/Sweetness.

I suspect there is still more than a slight element of ‘don’t mention the war’ about it, in Britain at least. And now of course there’s ‘don’t mention the EU’ too.

And - or so I’m told - there are some tightwads who blanch at the idea of dropping thirty smackers on a bottle of something with lower alcohol content than the beer I drink. Sorry, sorry, I mean the beer they drink.

^ all true of course. And very Germanic.
9% is a bonus for my old liver.
It can be found around £20, which is OK for 'lovely stuff'.

I enjoyed my OAP birthday-period binge last year so much that I’ve decided to have an OAP+1 one this year. What better night to kick the month off than this - The Towers has new neighbours, and I have invited them over for early evening drinkies to see if I like the cut of their jibs. I’m 99.9% certain they are pfmers as they drive both a BMW (electric) and Porsche (rag-top.) So I’m hoping to get a typical pfm gift in return - maybe an Eames chair, or a Leica or a pair of ultra-efficient horn speakers.

Then I will see where they stand on the burning pfm issues. Marc or Bill? Monk or Mingus? Quad or Tannoy? Leak or Radford? But most importantly, will they turn their noses up at this because it doesn’t have ‘champagne’ on the label? Or will they recognise it for the gem it is and demand that I order them some?

i.php

(tl;dr - this is number one in the series.)

Number two. There’s nothing better for you than a good number two, my GP says. There’s going to be a big Mitjavile presence during the Birthday Binge, just like last year. This is very good, apparently 85% Merlot and 15% CF. I don’t think I can distinguish the CF, but no problem - the art of a good blend doesn’t necessarily mean being able to pick apart the constituent ingredients, does it?

Probably, I’d guess, at it’s peak around now. Tannic, but not overpoweringly so, and a warm stewed fruitiness with floral undertones. I doubt if I would have put it down as a right-banker, more a Languedoc kind of thing. I’ve got a couple more to go - but I think I’ll be getting more.

Tonight this is being paired with Stormcock by Roy Harper. I like to listen to this occasionally even though I have no idea what he is singing (or singing about) most of the time. But he definitely sounds as if he means it, and you get the feeling that it may be quite profound. In addition, the track with Jimmy Page on it is very stirring. But after 40 minutes I always think that’s all the Roy Harper I need for another six or eight months.

20230617220335-4c2972a7.jpg

I wonder if ‘Le Versant’ is in Gill Sans font, or Johnston, or something similar? Perhaps we need to call on someone like @martin clark to tell us. (Spot thinly disguised ploy to add new blood to the stagnating Christmas Wine gene pool. Mix those metaphors, Marchbanks…)

Last edited:
The holy Janice giving best prices
Le Mesnil at Marlo
https://marlo.wine/search?q=Mesnil ...
I may have got this wrong but it looks like the FT article compares the NV price at Marlo with, from the label shown at Waitrose Cellar, the vintage champagne at Waitrose.

Some Waitrose stores certainly have the 2013 le Mesnil Grand Cru blanc de blancs on the shelf at £39.99. And it's a very characterful champagne which I have bought occasionally and really enjoyed. IMHO it's very good value if you like that particular style.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back