advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a pleasure to hear this song again! And now a confession. I think the last time I listened to it was in 1986, in Santa Cruz Ca -- and it brought back bittersweet memories of the broadwalk before the earthquake, the California sun, and my friend Katy.
Was that your acid phase?
Ps.Yannick Amirault does a nice C.F.

Last edited:
52293326690_14603ffa26_z.jpg

A much cooler night than recently, so extra layers needed. Tonight we have Zuccardi Bonarda ‘Emma’ 2016. Light, fragrant and fruity, and miles away from the stereotypical idea of an Argentinian wine. I would have guessed some kind of bizarre Grenache/Mourvèdre/Cinsault/whatever blend from Languedoc. Very enjoyable and temptingly moreish.

Paired with one of my favourite King Crimson records, Zoom Club 1972. They were still working out the material and it’s lovely to hear it in progress. And as for the improvs, Jamie Muir nails it in the sleevenotes...

“I always had an urge to get Robert to let his hair down... here he just absolutely lets it all out and throws it all over the place. He sounds fantastic, just raving away like a maniac!”

"looking out of the kitchen window could see the Shepherdess walking nonchalantly down the field, her flock following excitedly behind her. In her early twenties, 6' tall, statuesque, her long blonde hair loose, she was wearing a pair of stylish, slightly grubby, dungarees, her almost luminously pale arms and shoulders bare, her breasts gaily unrestrained, unabashed, the very symbol of youthful fecundity. " DH.Lawrence wrote that.

Sadly all I could see was the cat mooching around.
Nevermind it's national Pinot Noir day,feel like opening Lafarge PTG later with unbridled,unabashed joy.

I wish I had sufficient powers of concentration to read something longer than the spiel on the back of a bottle. I blame the internet. And old age. And the neo-liberals, because I blame them for everything.

I wish I had sufficient powers of concentration to read something longer than the spiel on the back of a bottle. I blame the internet. And old age. And the neo-liberals, because I blame them for everything.

I'm concerned.You do know alcohol is a neurotoxin.
I think you should hand over the keys to the cellar.
I'm worried about you finding your way back.
PM me.

Thank you for this. I consider myself a life long fan but had never heard of this album.
I was at Newcastle Uni in 1972 and attended the show at the Gaumont where poor Jamie gashed his hand on a cymbal.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PRZJ3R5/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
The Zoom Club SQ is iffy to say the very least, but the music is fantastic. There’s a wonderful moment of silence in the middle of Lark’s Tongues PtII where they haven’t quite worked out yet how the two halves join together.

I haven’t heard the Newcastle CD. I might have to spend money while I still have some of my free Prime trial left.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
On Tuesday, I stopped in Gigondas on my way south from the Alps, encouraged by this and other threads to pick up a few more bottles of S. Rhône ("honest guv, they made me do it"). The vineyards were absolutely parched on the lower plateau. Closer to the village and the Dentelles de Montmirail, the impeccably maintained vines looked a bit better. The informative couple at the Caveau du Gigondas in the village said they'd had a brief but violent shower on Monday night and were waiting for more rain that evening (30 mm forecast) with a mixture of hope and trepidation. He described it as make or break for the 2022. No rain and "ça va être très compliqué", while thunderstorms with hail would be disastrous ofc. Comparisons were made with 1973, which was apparently a very dry and hot summer with abundant autumn rain. This year, they will probably be harvesting way before Sept 21st. I left with some of the Gras family's 2019 production.

In the end, they got rain, lots and lots of it: a total of 116mm, the equivalent of several normal months, in the last 24 hours. But I've not seen any reports of massive hailstorms, so it sounds as if it worked out OK in Gigondas. The Var further east got absolutely hammered, with hail the size of golf/tennis balls reported in Hyères and 120-170mm of rain in various locations. Probably not good news for the many Côtes de Provence producers in the area, incl. Bamford's large château down there. Not sure how the Bandol area coped either.

never been stylish

I agree, style is, or was, antithetical to the very existence of Gordons Wine Bar. Arguably, a punter dropping his keks and piddling on the pavement is taking it a bit far though.

I haven't actually been there for years. It used to be a bit of a secret, but that was a generation or two back. They were 'Free Vintners', didn't need a licence.

...Nevermind it's national Pinot Noir day, feel like opening Lafarge PTG later with unbridled,unabashed joy.

That's a bummer, I was going to open a bottle of Morey St.Denis 1er Cru that someone gave me this evening. It (and the duck) will have to wait until tomorrow.

AOTsxe.jpg

Burgundy, 1993.

Reactions: PsB
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back