Not open for further replies.

Excellent lunchos.
Grilled courgette blue cheese walnuts
Coley
Apples Carmel ice
20ducats.
Excellent pinot blanc above.

52283480916_4c84a1dd91_z.jpg

The last of my bottles of Manuel Jorel’s 2015 Syrah. He said it would be at its best around now, and it is indeed glorious. Rather lighter and fresher than the northern Rhône equivalent. Sadly, the chances of finding any outside France is pretty close to zero. Even inside you will probably have to rely on mail order if you aren’t near Roussillon. But - just in case - go to domainejorel.fr .

Sadly no posh meals here, just Charlottes, lettuce and tomatoes from the grounds with freshly-made sausages from the pig farmer five minutes’ walk away down the bridleway. And fortunately the hedgerows en route were stuffed with ripe blackberries, thus staving off any immediate fears of collapse due to vitamin C shortage.

Tonight this was paired with Mingus’ Tijuana Moods. I’m not sure I’ve ever heard it before - an unforgivable oversight.

52283480916_4c84a1dd91_z.jpg

The last of my bottles of Manuel Jorel’s 2015 Syrah. He said it would be at its best around now, and it is indeed glorious. Rather lighter and fresher than the northern Rhône equivalent. Sadly, the chances of finding any outside France is pretty close to zero. Even inside you will probably have to rely on mail order if you aren’t near Roussillon. But - just in case - go to domainejorel.fr .

Sadly no posh meals here, just Charlottes, lettuce and tomatoes from the grounds with freshly-made sausages from the pig farmer five minutes’ walk away down the bridleway. And fortunately the hedgerows en route were stuffed with ripe blackberries, thus staving off any immediate fears of collapse due to vitamin C shortage.

Tonight this was paired with Mingus’ Tijuana Moods. I’m not sure I’ve ever heard it before - an unforgivable oversight.
You're always a winner there with you're understated excellence @Marchbanks .
Great album that.

Tired of waiting so opened the first (edit not true: I see from CT I had the first almost exactly 1 year ago) single vineyard 2013 Produttori. A Pora. Not entirely convinced so perhaps still premature. I'll have another sip today.
edit Another day, another poura. Almost predictably better. I should try to leave the 3 others a couple of years...
Much more sediment than I have found in most other Italian wines.

Last edited:
I sold my pushbike yesterday. As it’s a family tradition never to have spare money hanging around, after dressing for dinner tonight I perused L&W’s current offerings. As I had been very impressed by the 2011 Clos des Papes I had tried during my birthday celebs my eyes were drawn to six bottles of 2015 that A Client was dumping. The price was right (a few percent above EP, five years after release, and half that being asked on BBR’s exchange) and a chap can never have too much CdP on hand, so I went for it. Admittedly it cost me double what I received for my bike, but no matter - isn’t that what economists call leveraging, or maybe levveraging? It rings bells from my (grade 1, I’ll have you know) ‘O’-level, so it must be right. Who’s up for a 2015 horizontal CdP tasting? A bottle of Vieux Télégraphe gains admission, as I don’t seem to have any.

Oh yes - generous soul that I am, I left another half doz for the next man...

I sold my pushbike yesterday. As it’s a family tradition never to have spare money hanging around, after dressing for dinner tonight I perused L&W’s current offerings. As I had been very impressed by the 2011 Clos des Papes I had tried during my birthday celebs my eyes were drawn to six bottles of 2015 that A Client was dumping. The price was right (a few percent above EP, five years after release, and half that being asked on BBR’s exchange) and a chap can never have too much CdP on hand, so I went for it. Admittedly it cost me double what I received for my bike, but no matter - isn’t that what economists call leveraging, or maybe levveraging? It rings bells from my (grade 1, I’ll have you know) ‘O’-level, so it must be right. Who’s up for a 2015 horizontal CdP tasting? A bottle of Vieux Télégraphe gains admission, as I don’t seem to have any.

Oh yes - generous soul that I am, I left another half doz for the next man...

Did you do a quick edit here?I thought it read a bottle of Kylie rose would gain entry.

I’m a little alarmed by this review of ‘one of my wines’ on CT. Why on earth would you decant a wine through a poor rabbit? Surely that’s what made it warm? And I hate to think where the stewed blackcurrants came from. Should we alert the RSPCA?

2010 Château Cissac
14/08/2022 - THOMPSONANDFRENCH LIKES THIS WINE: 89 points
Decanted thru rabbit 2 hours prior. Very good value. A very warm wine. Stewed blackcurrants, but not unpleasantly! More anon.

I found myself having lunch in a well known London bar today, Gordons on Villiers Street.

Their wine list had a Chillean Cabernet Franc which I thought I'd try -- partly because I remembered how Argenitinan Cab Franc can taste so different from French

20220816-154031-1.jpg

Terroir Hunter is extremely flavourful and intense -- it tastes like nasty medicine in a good way -- like some amarone liquors and Fisherman's Friend. I wouldn't want it every day, and I wouldn't want more that a glass or two with a meal. I'm in two minds what I think about it actually -- I have a feeling it's the sort of wine with very little sobremesa potential and it's a question of finding the right food to go with it. Something sweet for contrast, maybe. Dried fruit. (Have I just contradicted myself? Oh well.)

Unfortunately, Gordons (a friendly and stylish place but a total rip off IMO -- such a far cry from what it used to be) don't do any sweet dishes.

Thunder and rain here now.
Another Arneis full ,lots of flavours .

What a pleasure to hear this song again! And now a confession. I think the last time I listened to it was in 1986, in Santa Cruz Ca -- and it brought back bittersweet memories of the broadwalk before the earthquake, the California sun, and my friend Katy.

I found myself having lunch in a well known London bar today, Gordons on Villiers Street.

Their wine list had a Chillean Cabernet Franc which I thought I'd try -- partly because I remembered how Argenitinan Cab Franc can taste so different from French

20220816-154031-1.jpg

Terroir Hunter is extremely flavourful and intense -- it tastes like nasty medicine in a good way -- like some amarone liquors and Fisherman's Friend. I wouldn't want it every day, and I wouldn't want more that a glass or two with a meal. I'm in two minds what I think about it actually -- I have a feeling it's the sort of wine with very little sobremesa potential and it's a question of finding the right food to go with it. Something sweet for contrast, maybe. Dried fruit. (Have I just contradicted myself? Oh well.)

Unfortunately, Gordons (a friendly and stylish place but a total rip off IMO -- such a far cry from what it used to be) don't do any sweet dishes.

TWS lists a lot of Undurraga.
I like this.

https://www.thewinesociety.com/prod...estate-maule-viognier-roussanne-marsanne-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back