advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks @Dogberry and @Marchbanks I’ve got a couple of bottles of 2018 so I may supplement it with a couple of 2016. I like it!

Those drinking windows on CT, where do they come from?
A variety of online resources, listed on the ‘my drinking window’ page.

Are these the 2016s I’ve seen at £24.95? (I won’t say where in case you haven’t secured yours yet.) Not a bad price, mine were £23 a few years ago.

A variety of online resources, listed on the ‘my drinking window’ page.

Are these the 2016s I’ve seen at £24.95? (I won’t say where in case you haven’t secured yours yet.) Not a bad price, mine were £23 a few years ago.

Yeah, Slurp! Just ordered my two bottles. You get £10 off for your first order if you sign up for a newsletter, and it's PayPal, and they did get back to me with details of the vintage, so I reckon they're a good punt. £22.92 1⁄2 a bottle delivered to snooty Wimbledon (The Star calls Wimbledon snooty because the tennis club asked spectators not to go dogging on the common, apparently.)

Anyone tried anything else from the Clos de Gat marque?

A bottle of 2011 Mercurey 1er Cru Les Nauges from Paul Jacqueson with delicious homemade beefburger last night, prepared by a friend and beautifully cooked by her nephew.

I sold it to her late husband years ago. The cellar is good, but slightly on the warm side. I brought the wine up a couple of weeks ago for another dinner party, and it was left over. I found it last night sitting on the kitchen table next to the range, capsule off, and cork seeping due to the heat. I stuffed it into the freezer for 15 minutes. The cork was fine, the wine so fresh and lovely, still amazingly youthful, even some residual primary (new oak) notes, no browning in the colour at all.

Cellars are funny old things, and wine copes very well even if the temp is a little too high. I'm consistently amazed at how well even relatively old wines show from this one. I've had 20 year old claret that was still way too young (2000 Lynch-Bages, needed anothr 20 years), but never anything tired or out of condition.

A bottle of 2011 Mercurey 1er Cru Les Nauges from Paul Jacqueson with delicious homemade beefburger last night, prepared by a friend and beautifully cooked by her nephew.

I sold it to her late husband years ago. The cellar is good, but slightly on the warm side. I brought the wine up a couple of weeks ago for another dinner party, and it was left over. I found it last night sitting on the kitchen table next to the range, capsule off, and cork seeping due to the heat. I stuffed it into the freezer for 15 minutes. The cork was fine, the wine so fresh and lovely, still amazingly youthful, even some residual primary (new oak) notes, no browning in the colour at all.

Cellars are funny old things, and wine copes very well even if the temp is a little too high. I'm consistently amazed at how well even relatively old wines show from this one. I've had 20 year old claret that was still way too young (2000 Lynch-Bages, needed anothr 20 years), but never anything tired or out of condition.

Had this about a year ago,some great wines from
Mercurey.

52230418930_905f4e9a80_z.jpg

I suggested to Gaston that I ought to get a bottle or two of the Villa Antinori that everyone on Christmas Wine was raving about. He nodded. I then suggested he might like to accompany me on the five-mile round trip across the fields to the Co-op to get some. He shook his head. Apparently he was going to audition a new copper tray.

So I set forth on my own, feeling my carbon footprint getting smaller with every step. I was sure I had read on Christmas Wine that you can get it half-price at the Co-op on presentation of your dental records. Unfortunately this proved to be untrue, so I had to make do with the standard price of £13. Luckily the Green & Black’s (pictured) was indeed half-price, which partly made up for the disappointment.

And I rather like it. Perhaps a tad too much oak for my particular taste, but not excessive. Nicely fruity, acidic and tannic, I’m tempted to buy a couple more and squirrel them away for a few years. I think in this supermarket wine price bracket I might prefer the Catena Zapata Malbec that is currently a tenner at Waitrose, but there’s never any harm in having alternatives available.

Tonight this is being paired with Stolas: Book of Angels Volume 12. Joe Lovano and Dave Douglas play John Zorn. What’s not to like? I’ll tell you what, the drop in temperature and breeze that mean I’ve had to finish the evening outside wearing a jacket. Who was it that said a British summer equated to two hot days and a thunderstorm?

Posted earlier about that.
I'm dubious about the storage there having been
given a warm bottle of Riesling.
Seems incongruous given the stuff they have or
had.
Ok, missed your post! Still a second mention may lead to greater diligence amongst those on here with grand, opulent cellars!

Quite like this ,full flavoured,like a chunky white Rhone.
Marsanne , roussanne,viognier not the elegance of a Cuilleron but good value at
£7.95.TWS.

My first Joblot L'Empreinte 2016. Hope it is good because there are 5 more...
L'Empreinte sounds vaguely Mexican. I live in hope.

Pinot noir Givry..nice?
"Joblot's 2016s are incredibly classic, pure and concentrated. They have an amazing transparency and appealing suave texture. 2016 is the first release of 1er Cru L'Empreinte, which is a blend of their various 1er Crus. In its debut, the 1er Cru L'Empreinte boasts a seamless presentation of floral notes and an energetic and silky mineral core. There's an expansive spectrum of soil notes, spice and aromatic red fruits. It's simultaneously punchy and finessed."
What could go wrong?

^ that is a 'lot' to live up to. Suave, punchy and finessed ? I'm now confident a Mexican Beauty Queen will be knocking on the door any minute.

^^^I'm not sure I'd want "an expansive spectrum of soil notes" mixed in with my suave and punchy finessed wine with floral notes.

30 years ago, Givry was what you drank when you couldn't afford Côte Chalonnaise. I'm sure Givry has improved since then (but so have the C. Ch.)

^^^I'm not sure I'd want "an expansive spectrum of soil notes" mixed in with my suave and punchy finessed wine with floral notes.

30 years ago, Givry was what you drank when you couldn't afford Côte Chalonnaise. I'm sure Givry has improved since then (but so have the C. Ch.)

Still the case: I guess it is entry level Burgundy. But then Burgundy prices are bonkers these days so not sure I want to afford those further up the stairway to heaven...
IMHO it is very nice.

Reactions: PsB
Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back