Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Christmas Wine II

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Dogberry, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

Of course but as with HiFi racks, the choice is vast. I don’t have a temperature controlled cellar but then I don’t collect wine, it wouldn’t be around long enough. I buy stuff I like and drink it!

2. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr neither here nor there

Then I would choose one that best fits the decor where you intend to put it.

Ponty likes this.
  3. eternumviti

eternumviti Wittering on the Vine

Be aware that the metal ones shred labels.

Ponty likes this.
  4. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

This is a good company to deal with

https://wineracks.co.uk/calculator/

Ponty likes this.
  5. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

6. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

Ponty likes this.
  7. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Hat and Beard member

Go for it, I say. Why stop with the Chancellor? Take care of the lot of ’em.

The album is this one

[​IMG]

and as I had no idea of the track names I’ve listened again all the way through and discovered (a) it is called Hangdog and (b) the abrupt transition into a different style is also into a different track, so it may or may not have been performed like that in real time!

Joey Baron is amazing. He seems to be on just about every record I buy nowadays.

8. eternumviti

A use at last for all those gantries they keep putting over the motorways, perhaps?

I'll look up the album, merci.

9. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

i am no expert, i buy to drink and have no interest in collecting or storing long term

I bought a range of wine crates from here https://www.woodenboxuk.com/en-us/wine-boxes-and-crates/wine-crates/ stacked them on their sides, and fill the gap (under my desk). It is not an ideal space, but in this space limited house - it is all we have.

[​IMG]

You'll note prices on some of the labels - my wife likes to choose by price. There are some whites and rose's in the adjacent fridge. Note the stickers - allows us to ID red/white/rose from a distance - makes sense to us.

Ponty likes this.
  10. Marchbanks

11. eternumviti

Thanks MB, I'll look that up too.

12. Marchbanks

[​IMG]

I had to choose one of these as a birthday bash bottle, for sentimental reasons amongst others. Short version - some thirty years ago I pitched up on Gaston Huet’s doorstep (house shown on label) without appointment, and said I would like to buy some wine. In the following hour I had the greatest epiphany of my wine-drinking life. And this bottle, along with its sisters, was boxed up and handed to me with a smile by Gaston himself. That makes me swallow hard and go moist-eyed when I think about it.

It’s utterly, utterly wonderful. Words fail me, really. Lusciously sweet but still with a little Chenin acidity that stops any chance of it being cloying. The taste seems to linger forever. Just great. And yes, it really is that colour!

Tonight this was paired with a selection of blue cheeses and The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, which seemed to work. I will go to bed a happy old man.

13. mjw

mjw pfm Member

Easily the best thread on PFM now.

14. eternumviti

I do so envy you that meeting, and the bottle.

wacko likes this.
  15. eternumviti

Oh, and very best wishes!

16. Dogberry

Dogberry pfm Member

32yr old wine amazing colour.Happy Biirthday lots more good listening and good wine.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  17. BTC3

BTC3 pfm Member

I get mine - the label shredding ones - from this lot. I like the option of being able to get them in a size that fits the bins in the cellar. They do other styles, and have always been pleasant to deal with (by email and phone). No affiliation beyond buying from them.

Ponty likes this.
  18. wacko

wacko pfm Member

Happy Birthday MB. Wishing you many many more.

19. Marchbanks

Thanks for the kind wishes, much appreciated. Although my birthday was last Saturday, I intend to keep celebrating until the special selection box is finished - and there are still eight bottles left!

Weekender likes this.
  20. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

[​IMG]

Boozy lunch today at 10 Cases on Endell Street. This was the most unusual booze. Hungarian. Two grapes -- a Gewürztraminer type thing and a Riesling type thing. Coppery coloured (apparently they leave the skins in) It felt a bit like drinking fino with your main course, which I've done in Cadiz, because of the "characterful" taste, not the strength.