advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
As if indulgence wasn't enough I read an article about breakfast wines funnily enough Lambrusco
was mentioned,of course Champagne would be
the classic breakfast drink.
Any thoughts?
I have very occasionally dispatched some Champagne accompanying a breakfast of lightly-seasoned soft-scrambled eggs with delicate low-salt smoked salmon.

Very decadent and very enjoyable but not (for health reasons) a habit I want to cultivate. However I am reminded that I haven't done this for a very long time indeed so I should make sure I have the relevant supplies in over the festive season.

I have very occasionally dispatched some Champagne accompanying a breakfast of lightly-seasoned soft-scrambled eggs with delicate low-salt smoked salmon.

Very decadent and very enjoyable but not (for health reasons) a habit I want to cultivate. However I am reminded that I haven't done this for a very long time indeed so I should make sure I have the relevant supplies in over the festive season.

Yeah ,one champagne breakfast over the Xmas season.
My Xmas plans are awry,going to my son's on Xmas day so probably take the WS.Nero d'avola and the
Trittenheimer.
I know what your thinking but there's no way I
could share that 2018 le Ronsay and Vigot with untutored palates.:D

Hosted a tutored tasting for a local wine society the other night, had been somewhat depressed that it was originally bounced on me as being uniquely Bordeaux, and on a tight budget (£29 per bottle average). I managed to get it extended to 'Bordeaux varieties', but to keep it French, which permitted some Cahors (Cot/Merlot, Clos la Coutale) and Loire Cab Franc (Villeneuve Saumur-Champigny, Amirault Bourgeuil). By thus weighting the 8 wines to the £12-£25 bracket I was able to squeeze in a couple of Mitjavile gems in at the end, Roc de Cambes 2012 and Domaine de Cambes 2014. The tasting was an unqualified success.

The faith was further restored last night at dinner with a good 1998 Ducru Beaucaillou, and an outstandingly lovely 2005 Canon La Gaffeliere, the amour of the late, great Felix Denis my companion for the evening.

Lucky moi, I'd say.

... I guess it must have been, oh, getting on for 9.25.

51723047724_35c595784e_z.jpg

How could you tell?

Can't agree on Megaphone/Ronsay. Just occasionally I have found a Rhone grenache that is light, refreshingly 'gouleyant', and projects Pinot Noir. I'll make it my task next year to find another.

Can't agree on Megaphone/Ronsay. Just occasionally I have found a Rhone grenache that is light, refreshingly 'gouleyant', and projects Pinot Noir. I'll make it my task next year to find another.
Strange, that’s how I find Mégaphone. Not the Pinot Noir bit, of course. As you know, my experiences of PN can be written on the back of a postage stamp in Magic Marker, so I’m not fit to comment.
Domaine de Cambes 2014.
Is this in a good place right now? L&W have it at £26 IB, and I’m sorely tempted to get some to see me through the forthcoming Ghastly Season. (Or possibly even the 2012 Roc, if you could point me towards someone who might have a bottle for sale at a price an old pensioner can afford.)

Yeah ,one champagne breakfast over the Xmas season.
My Xmas plans are awry,going to my son's on Xmas day so probably take the WS.Nero d'avola and the
Trittenheimer.
I know what your thinking but there's no way I
could share that 2018 le Ronsay and Vigot with untutored palates.:D

You could tutor those palates...excellent base for a proper Xmas family barney.

I've done my bit,I've tried to steer him towards the
Wine Society.With possibly ten adults I'll leave it
to a meal out for the two of us.

Though I could do worse than take some of this.

I had to look that one up. Don’t forget I’m not a Young Person like you. I thought you were swearing at me because I know a blameless cat when I see one.

Earlier this year I splashed out on some Tertre Rôteboeuf. I didn’t mention it because it was done at least in part with investment in mind, which is against my nature where wine is concerned and I felt signalled a move towards the dark side. So I was a little ashamed of myself. But afterwards I thought I’d like to try a Mitjavile gem (as @eternumviti put it) that is affordable and drinking right now. And the Ghastly Season looks like a good excuse, especially as I’m not being allowed to spend it in quarantine this year. So when eternumviti mentioned a couple that he had tried a night or two back I thought I’d try to pump him (repeatedly) for information as to the best way to go.

So, maybe I’m trying not to MO. But there’s no F involved that I can see. Except F of the Ghastly Season. There must be a word for that. Excessophobia?

Last edited:
Roc is significantly more imbued with complexity, nuance, that often elusive combination of delicacy and rich power which marks out great wine from a superb location, with all the consequent ageworthiness. DDC is sourced from a strip of flat palus, alluvial soil, at the foot of the Roc amphitheatres, soil that is too rich and lacking in mineral structure to bring anything like the same 'originality', and I suppose is a great illustration of the winemaker's art. Both wines are obviously Mitjavile, the fruit distinctly mature, with a similarly distinct mark of (very high quality) new oak barrique.

All of Mitjavile's wines are seductively approachable young. Worth holding the DDC for a handful of years, and it would happily run for more. Roc will easily run for 20-30 years, but is still a fabulous drink within its first decade. Vintage is of little concern. I sometimes put together a case tasting selection of what would be considered Bordeaux 'off' vintages of TRB, the oldest wine being 1983, a great demonstration of considered, intuitive, winemaking.

Last edited:
I had a particularly indulgent restaurant lunch yesterday, comprising many finely cooked dishes, and paired with some rather nice wines.
Started with some (there were top-ups of all wines as we went, so can’t really say it was “just a glass”) of Spumante “Terza Via VS”, a Sicilian sparkler. Dosage is done with, I think, Marsala instead of sugar and alcohol, lending it a darker colour and much more complex flavour. It was surprising, and excellent. I’m trying to track some down in the UK, but may have to import.
Next came some ‘19 Gemischter Satz Terrasen, Arndorfer. Not my style, but tasty and went well with shellfish.
Then ‘19 Kumeu Maté’s Vineyard Chard - delicious with some seafood.
Then Cuvee de Grands Vintages from Eric Rodez. I’ve actually got a case and some bottles of this at home, so it was nice to try it. Again, went well with the veg and fish dishes
Then ‘19 Clos de Mosny, Domaine de la Taille aux Loups, which was excellent with an oyster dish
Followed by ‘18 Sea Field Pinot Noir, from Raen. Again, not entirely my style, lots of fruit, quite sweet, not a huge amount of body, but truly excellent with a dish of quail breast.
Dessert was accompanied by a Riesling Auslese, PJ Kühn, Rheingau, and some Bukkuram, Passito do Pantelleria, which was fantastic, and wonderful foil for a caramel, chocolate and liquorice mousse.
Lunch took close to 5 hours, and was a hell of a lot of fun. There were more choices for the wine pairings, including one comprising Bolli RD, Ch Latour, d’Ydquem, etc. at a particularly eye watering price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back