advertisement

Chris Frankland

If you're happy with your SME then that's grand Mr Blzebub, perhaps yours sounds different to those I've listened to in the past, maybe you're unduly swayed by measurements (not the best means to judge enjoyable sound) but I suspect it's that imponderable fact of how individual taste differs.

I'd be delighted to visit you, very kind, and extend to you the same invitation.

I also think it's a bit like food. I like Chinese, Indian, Italian, French...
Just like I like most hifi. To be honest I get as much pleasure from a little Bose mini dock via Bluetooth. I'm a big fan of LP12 and SME 20. Never heard the 30. I thought the Rega Planar 3 was terrific value for money. I adored my Sony system I got for my 18th. I do believe there is a lot of piss and wind about hifi.

Measurements are actually important if they debunk the myth that the LP12's strong suit is in its timing. Or that it retrieves more information from the groove. Once these twin pillars are removed, there's nothing else left for it to hide behind, apart from musicality, of course.

Yes but musicality is a big deal. My LP12 didn't resolve as much information as my WT Versalex (or a Brinkmann etc) does and wasn't as open or clean. That's why I changed. But the LP12 that I owned with Cirkus, ARO, Troika and Armageddon power supply certainly timed well and was very musical and engaging. With my Naim 52/ 2x 250 and active SBL's it reproduced Rock better than any other system that I've heard.. If I didn't listen to a lot of Jazz and Classical music I would have stuck with it. The Linn and Naim forums are full of over the top praise for the said companies products but there seems to be a number of PFM members who refuse to accept that the LP12 is a worthy product.

It's an anthropomorphism, intended to convey an idea about a piece of equipment's ability to communicate via music. But I suspect you knew that.

What is 'musicality'?
Keith

Musicality is the Chris Frankland/flat earth trump card. I always use the word with irony, but difficult to transmit the iron bit on the internet. It implies that the piece of equipment understands music, and has a "feel" for how it should be portrayed. Whether that idea is credible, I really don't know. A musical bearing? Or perhaps musical capacitors & resistors. Maybe a musical transformer. You get the picture.

Interesting that timing has been mentioned so much, as that seems to be the idea behind Meridian's new MQA system.

If you're happy with your SME then that's grand Mr Blzebub, perhaps yours sounds different to those I've listened to in the past, maybe you're unduly swayed by measurements (not the best means to judge enjoyable sound) but I suspect it's that imponderable fact of how individual taste differs.

I'd be delighted to visit you, very kind, and extend to you the same invitation.

OK, I'm in Glasgow, let me know suitable dates and we'll sort something out.

Musicality is the Chris Frankland/flat earth trump card. I always use the word with irony, but difficult to transmit the iron bit on the internet. It implies that the piece of equipment understands music, and has a "feel" for how it should be portrayed. Whether that idea is credible, I really don't know. A musical bearing? Or perhaps musical capacitors....

Nope. It's an anthropomorphism - some people are more musical than others, so given similar skills one will make more engaging music than another. In people, it's probably about empathy, nuance and a deeper understanding of the music. In equipment, clearly that isn't the case, but the idea of an anthropomorphism is to ascribe those characteristics to an inanimate object. Clearly, the equipment doesn't understand the music, but if it communicates the music more vividly, the effect from the listener's perspective is as though it does.

Probably no help at all, is it?

Nope. It's an anthropomorphism - some people are more musical than others, so given similar skills one will make more engaging music than another. In people, it's probably about empathy, nuance and a deeper understanding of the music. In equipment, clearly that isn't the case, but the idea of an anthropomorphism is to ascribe those characteristics to an inanimate object. Clearly, the equipment doesn't understand the music, but if it communicates the music more vividly, the effect from the listener's perspective is as though it does.

Probably no help at all, is it?

Nope. Music reproduction is an engineering task. Musicality can be applied to musicians, not electronics.

Yes, and anthropomorphism is, like analogy, a way to convey an idea in an indirect way. Doesn't work for all, but can be useful. Don't knock it just because you don't get it.

What is 'musicality'?
Keith
It certainly can't be measured in the Lab :). It's all subjective of course (and I prefer the word engaging) but I would say, at the risk of over simplifying it, a sound that can excite a strong emotional response and connection as opposed to more of an analytical sound! Perhaps the listeners emotional make up will dictate the preference!

Don't knock it just because you don't get it.

Image.ashx

I thought it was funny. You implied I don't "get it". So it's funny.

The serious point is that most of Frankland's reviews relied heavily on "musicality". And if you read the Linn and Naim forums, this really stupid concept is still going strong today.

advertisement

Back