advertisement

Chris Frankland

.. rhythm and timing and speed

It's all codswallop, the indefinable subjective language of marketeers. Some people believe the LP12 is the greatest source component ever created, even now. Anyway, all the flat response balderdash was debunked for me when I first heard a top of the (Linn/Naim) range, six-pack active Isobarik system making very heavy weather of a (don't judge me) Level 42 track. The bassline was completely indecipherable mush.

I believe it did great harm, which the UK industry has still not fully recovered from. Two 'brands' were relentlessly elevated above all other products, not because they were superior products but because of ideological...and ultimately money-making.....positions.
Other, better products (sometimes) could not get a fair hearing. It was audio's version of Mao's little red book. If you didn't buy Linn and Naim you were nothing. Even worse, superior products from other nations (not least Japan) were patronised and ignored. the result was an insular, uncompetitive British audio industry. Frankland was right in the middle of all this.
You still see the backround radiation in the pfm forums; lost souls still clinging to the wreckage of the LP12, Naim-guys desperate to find a new boat to sail in (Teddy Pardoe seems the likely beneficiary).
We do achieve great brands, but they are not the ones that create the followers; Harbeth, Spendor, Rega, SME, Michell, Roxsan, Avid and so on. Still mainly British owned too. I hope we never return to that 'I'm in with the in-crowd ' nonsense.
You do hi-fi enthusiasts a great disservice. Some might have blindly followed the "advice" given in the mags of the time but for most of us we were interested in the opinions from the reviewers enough to explore the recommended systems. For myself, after a frustrating few years with esoteric valve gear from the likes of Audio Research, then big expensive mega-amps from Krell, Oracle and SME turntables, it was a revelation to listen to Naim and Linn.

Maybe there's better stuff out there but for turntables, ampilification and speakers I've really had no desire to move to something else, and I've many friends who've gone down a similar road.

I reckon the flat earth era had a very negative effect on UK hi fi! Loads of companies making much better equipment than the dubious products of Linn and Naim at that time went out of business because of the marketing-advertising-dealer-manufacturer cabal...

It's all codswallop, the indefinable subjective language of marketeers. Some people believe the LP12 is the greatest source component ever created, even now. Anyway, all the flat response balderdash was debunked for me when I first heard a top of the (Linn/Naim) range, six-pack active Isobarik system making very heavy weather of a (don't judge me) Level 42 track. The bassline was completely indecipherable mush.

Do you remember those patterns that looked just like pretty patterns until you stared long enough and suddenly you could see a 3D picture of dolphins or an eagle or somesuch. I felt that way when I first got the prat thing. It's not codswallop at all.

Do you remember those patterns that looked just like pretty patterns until you stared long enough and suddenly you could see a 3D picture of dolphins or an eagle or somesuch.

I never could see the sodding picture, however long I stared!

I reckon the flat earth era had a very negative effect on UK hi fi! Loads of companies making much better equipment than the dubious products of Linn and Naim at that time went out of business because of the marketing-advertising-dealer-manufacturer cabal...
What better equipment?

A business plan may well contain monies for both the fabrication of the kit and some set aside for advertising the kit, otherwise who will know that the kit exists let alone available for demo?
Could this be why some kit makers went to the wall and some have survived since the last millennium?

What better equipment?

IMHO most of Linn and Naims rivals at similar price points were superior. Some small companies went bust due to their domination of the market and many others, some still with us today, had years of just ticking over due to sales lost to the cabal. Also of course lots of large companies from abroad had sales pushed right down due to the flat earth madness. Big Japanese DD turntables are now much sought after but you couldn't give them away at one time due to Haymarket magazines.... I well remember the days when someone writing in asking which budget cassette deck they should buy would be told "first you need an LP12 to make sure you are recording from the best source...."

Do you remember those patterns that looked just like pretty patterns until you stared long enough and suddenly you could see a 3D picture of dolphins or an eagle or somesuch. I felt that way when I first got the prat thing. It's not codswallop at all.

Accurate timing is obviously important. The LP12 isn't especially good at it, though. It's improved slightly since the 1980s, but it's still iffy engineering, and still enclosed in a "retro" resonant wooden box. Linn haven't learned anything from the competition, because Linn don't take the competition seriously: they still believe they are the only game in town.

IMHO most of Linn and Naims rivals at similar price points were superior. Some small companies went bust due to their domination of the market and many others, some still with us today, had years of just ticking over due to sales lost to the cabal. Also of course lots of large companies from abroad had sales pushed right down due to the flat earth madness. Big Japanese DD turntables are now much sought after but you couldn't give them away at one time due to Haymarket magazines.... I well remember the days when someone writing in asking which budget cassette deck they should buy would be told "first you need an LP12 to make sure you are recording from the best source...."
That's IYOO of course Mr Arkless. I didn't find them so, and I remember my friends who, based on the false idea that the wonderfully-engineered japanese turntables, tuners and amplifiers were accoustically superior to their british counterparts, sold off their equipment in favour of what turned out to be rather less than grand.

I believe it did great harm, which the UK industry has still not fully recovered from. Two 'brands' were relentlessly elevated above all other products, not because they were superior products but because of ideological...and ultimately money-making.....positions.
Other, better products (sometimes) could not get a fair hearing. It was audio's version of Mao's little red book. If you didn't buy Linn and Naim you were nothing. Even worse, superior products from other nations (not least Japan) were patronised and ignored. the result was an insular, uncompetitive British audio industry. Frankland was right in the middle of all this.
You still see the backround radiation in the pfm forums; lost souls still clinging to the wreckage of the LP12, Naim-guys desperate to find a new boat to sail in (Teddy Pardoe seems the likely beneficiary).
We do achieve great brands, but they are not the ones that create the followers; Harbeth, Spendor, Rega, SME, Michell, Roxsan, Avid and so on. Still mainly British owned too. I hope we never return to that 'I'm in with the in-crowd ' nonsense.

All so true. It seemed to me quite obvious at the time what was going on, and the reason why to this day I wouldn't cross the road to listen or even look at Linn or Naim stuff. Manufacturers like Quad had a really hard time which they didn't deserve, and effectively whent bust because of it.

Here's something dredged from an old thread.

HFN measured the LP12SE's performance as:
-68.6dB rumble (DIN B wtd) on a silent groove or -71dB via a coupler
W&F at 0.09%

by contrast the SME 20/3 came it as -73.4 dB (DIN B) on a silent groove and -75.4 dB via the coupler.
W&F at 0.03%

The SME's are the best measuring turntable so far in HFN....having said that any CD Player would kill them for measurements.

Is there any real difference between this & the annual What Hi-Fi? awards going to the same brands year in year out?

None whatsoever.
it's simply what happens when you take engineering and art, then subject it to market forces.

All of society's ills from starvation to dodgy audio reviews can be traced directly to market forces and capital.

Best we not go there in the audio room :)

All so true. It seemed to me quite obvious at the time what was going on, and the reason why to this day I wouldn't cross the road to listen or even look at Linn or Naim stuff. Manufacturers like Quad had a really hard time which they didn't deserve, and effectively whent bust because of it.

Indeed. And any of the Quad current dumping amps will easily beat a NAP250. Especially with a few simple mods in the case of early 405's.

Ariston would have had something to say about the LP12 I believe.... if they were still around...

I think most Naim amplifiers are perfectly fine, as is the LP12 in its many forms. They just didn't deserve elevation above other competing kit.
On the other hand things like the Linn Basik cartridge, Index and Kan 1 were just plain poor and easily bettered by a raft of competition.
Things like the Nait 1 were just crazy. People 'want' a cheap Naim, so what shall we do. Oh I know, lets stick this primitive 15w amplifier circuit in a tiny box with shitty controls and flog it to teh audiophiles for a premium. Then they can have a Naim. All they really needed was a £100 Rotel or NAD, which were better.

Nothing wrong sonically with a NAP250 to be fair. Or the rest of the range for that matter.
They were just flat, low distortion power amps like many others.
The Issue is that I'd bet good money that nobody could tell one apart form the JVC AX4 I'm playing at the moment ;)

advertisement

Back