advertisement

Chordette Gem wireless dac. Wow!

cartman

Taking a sabbatical
A mate brought one of these round and I have to say I was speechless! It was playing music from his phone which sounded a lot better than most CDs have in my system. I want one!

Anyone else tried them?

A mate brought one of these round and I have to say I was speechless! It was playing music from his phone which sounded a lot better than most CDs have in my system. I want one!

Anyone else tried them?

400UKP for a PCM2704 based DAC?, er no thanks!

I think you've just had that "emperor's new clothes" moment about Dacs and streaming that many of us had about 10 years ago, and others seem determined to bury their heads in the sand to avoid at all cost.

Manufacturers of CD players were fobbing us all off with complete crap from the early 80's to the mid 00's - fact!

In fairness Chord did have a huge role in the initial ass kicking of the traditional manufacturers with thier DAC64, and it was brilliant (I had one).

Since then a much wider choice of components has emerged and the Chord range has become relatively poor VFM.

The Chordette has a place in the scheme of things as a wireless music streamer and certainly isn't rubbish, but it also isn't one of the favoured options.

I have tried on and it was ok but not brilliant imho, that said for it's asking price it was perfectly acceptable.

The rega dac is way ahead in trems of sound quality though.

I think you've just had that "emperor's new clothes" moment about Dacs and streaming that many of us had about 10 years ago, and others seem determined to bury their heads in the sand to avoid at all cost.

Manufacturers of CD players were fobbing us all off with complete crap from the early 80's to the mid 00's - fact!

In fairness Chord did have a huge role in the initial ass kicking of the traditional manufacturers with thier DAC64, and it was brilliant (I had one).

Since then a much wider choice of components has emerged and the Chord range has become relatively poor VFM.

The Chordette has a place in the scheme of things as a wireless music streamer and certainly isn't rubbish, but it also isn't one of the favoured options.

The bitstream DACS were quite good, I made my own and used it until I had a DaCapo which means I missed out on the crap:).

The PCM2704 is a real cheapie device and not really suitable for hi-fi, Chord most likely pay less than two pounds for it. Whilst being cheap is not a sin in itself, a top line Wolfson or ESS DAC will be at least three or four times that. For the money they really should have used it as a USB interface and left the DAC bit unused and fed the SPDIF output to something decent. Looks like a real bit of price gouging there!

Like I said poor VFM, but given its main function is to stream MP3's from mobile phones via blue tooth how good does it have to be?

Everything Chord make is ridiculously overpriced

advertisement

Back