advertisement

Chord TT2 Power Supply

Whizzy

pfm Member
Has anyone tried a linear power supply with the TT2. Previously, when I’ve tried linear supplies with other equipment it has generally proved worthwhile but given that the TT2 uses super capacitors I'm wondering if an improvement would still be gained.

Waiting for mine to come back from repair/service. Have to say that having read what Chord have said on the matter it’s an experiment I am disinclined to conduct as the view seems to be that, firstly, changing the power supply doesn’t impact the TT2 itself but may make a difference elsewhere in the chain and secondly the TT2 appears quite grumpy and develops issues sometime after linear supplies have been added.

I think I read somewhere that you could void any warranty you have using a non standard ps ?
Chord TT2 here. No plans to experiment or even try the M scaler - its so good as standard.

I tried a couple of decent brands of LPSU when I had the TT2+Scaler, made diddly squat difference, which is what the designer says should be the case. Suppose if you blow the TT2 using a non Chord psu they have the option not to repair, dunno how they’d find out.

RME now make a LPSU for about a £Grand, surprising from a Pro Audio outfit, maybe Chord will follow suit, there’s obviously a market out there.

I've heard a TT-2 with and without a $10k Sean Jacobs LPS and it was considerably better with it than without.
It's not just replacing the SMPS for a LPS, but WHICH LPS you use.

Mine is out of guarantee and in for repair. Had I been using an LPS I’ve little doubt that it would take the hit for any issues. Some people like risk more than others.

I've heard a TT-2 with and without a $10k Sean Jacobs LPS and it was considerably better with it than without.
It's not just replacing the SMPS for a LPS, but WHICH LPS you use.
Did you try it with any cheaper power supplies? Genuinely curious as have been considering the MCRU supply

Salman

I suppose that just about anything that has been manufactured might be improved, especially if one effectively trebles the price of the original. Anyone buying a Chord DAC, however, pays a premium, in part, for the design work of Rob Watts. It does seem a bit odd to trust his design enough to pay a premium for the product but then not trust his judgement enough when it comes to a power supply.

🙂Thanks everyone for your input, which has helped me decide to stick with the standard Chord SMPS and perhaps look at an M Scaler further down the line.🙂

🙂Thanks everyone for your input, which has helped me decide to stick with the standard Chord SMPS and perhaps look at an M Scaler further down the line.🙂
I’ve found the m scaler a worthwhile addition in that it helped with aspects of sound reproduction that sometimes have niggled me. I do think it wise to try an m scaler for yourself to see if you get any benefit in your system, with your music and with your ears. One man’s worthwhile is another man’s it sounds the same!

advertisement

Back