advertisement

Chord Qutest and amplifier input sensitivity

novak

pfm Member
Hi, I have a Chord Qutest DAC and can select from 3 output options - 1v, 2v, and 3v.

My Jadis amp has input sensitivity of 250 mv.

Might be a stupid question but what output should I select on the DAC? And what difference might it make?

Thanks!

If you want to be able to use a larger portion of your amp's volume control then use 1V. If you want to match the Qutest to your other line sources then 2V is probably best. If you want the best sounding setting then why not try all three and see which you prefer?

Last edited:
I stuck with the default 1v feeding my Nait 2 and this gives nice range on the volume control.

Hi, I have a Chord Qutest DAC and can select from 3 output options - 1v, 2v, and 3v.
My Jadis amp has input sensitivity of 250 mv.
Might be a stupid question but what output should I select on the DAC? And what difference might it make?
Thanks!

I suggest a 'suck it and see' approach. It is quite possible to over think these things. Maybe start with 2v and if you cant get the volume above 10 or 11 o'clock with out rattling the glass in the windows then try 1V. If you have to turn the wick up to well past 12 o'clock to get a useful volume perhaps try 3V. But if 2V gives you a useful range of volume then leave it at that.

The rated sensitivity of an amp is the level of input at which the amplifier produces maximum output without clipping. 250mV is lower than many amps, (1V is more usual), so I’d try 1V which still may be too much. Play something loud and listen. Clipping sounds pretty grim. Have your hand near the volume control because some kinds of clipping can damage your tweeters. You can always attenuate in the digital domain if you have to, or use an analogue attenuator.

The rated sensitivity of an amp is the level of input at which the amplifier produces maximum output without clipping. 250mV is lower than many amps, (1V is more usual), so I’d try 1V which still may be too much. Play something loud and listen. Clipping sounds pretty grim. Have your hand near the volume control because some kinds of clipping can damage your tweeters. You can always attenuate in the digital domain if you have to, or use an analogue attenuator.
I beg to differ- taking Naim super nait as example the input sensitivity is 175mv but they don’t overload until 7v. Most amps are circa 300-500 mv these days. But I do agree that having more range on the vol control is better

advertisement

Back