advertisement

Chord Qutest Alternative

McKMini

pfm Member
I'm interested in replacing my NAC172 and later my 155XS.

I already have a mac mini and an aries mini and one of them will perform the streaming duties.

The Qutest seems to the goto preamp and dac solution but I have two reservations :-
1 - I had a Chord Mojo and sold it as I found it fatiguing and it's said the Qutest has a similar sound signature.
2 What power amp suits the Qutest ( and yes synergy and aesthetics).

I've been considering the PS Audio Gain Cell and the Mytek Brooklyn+ but both are top end of my budget but have potential for matching amps at a later date - anything else I should consider??

Cheers
Norm.

For the money you are talking about, I would seriously consider the Border Patrol dac, though I’m surprised you found the Mojo fatiguing, I thought it was quite warm sounding, but all about synergy. Of course, I always recommend the Roksan K3, sounds great, certainly not bright, super build, flexible and is a total bargain.
Or just go all out for the Mola Mola dac and be done forever (on my dream list).

I mostly used the Mojo with my IEMs - various ones from Etymotic and Fidue. I'm aware that most Chord owners are perfectly satisfied with their products - for me the Mojo was fantastic initially - I had MDAC previously - but after a while I found it slightly bright and tiring.

Hi McK,

The Qutest is JUST a DAC, it has no pre-amp functionality - you cannot use it to switch between analogue inputs OR vary the volume, beyond setting the output.

That said, it is an EXCELLENT DAC, and is further improved by powering it with an SBooster + Ultra II.

The Border Patrol is also an excellent DAC, and one I owned for a year ....until a friend demoed his Audio Note 2.1 to me. In my system the Qutest suitably powered beats both of these. When your pocket recovers you can toy with getting an M-Scaler.

ATB,

M

The SMSL M400 might be an alternative - apparently smooth sounding....

I had a Qutest on demo for a week and whilst initially impressive I also found it rather bright and fatiguing after a few days. Possibly not the best synergy with Naim.

RME ADI2... much preferred this to the Qutist and it looks like a piece of HiFi, not something by Fisher price
Mac

RME ADI2... much preferred this to the Qutist and it looks like a piece of HiFi, not something by Fisher price
Mac
It's true that the looks of the Qutest wouldn't be everyone's choice.
Of more interest would be what the RME ADI2 had that you found lacking in the Qutest?
I did consider the RME (although never actually auditioned one) but decided that it included too many features that frankly I would never make use of and then of course there's the manual.:)
I've the impression (rightly or wrongly) that it's a Dac made for someone who likes to tweak & experiment whereas I just want to connect it up,forget about it & enjoy the music.
The Qutest has transformed the sound of my system - wish it had a remote though.

I’m very interested by the RME. No way of auditioning one in NI though. Guess second hand they’re hens teeth if hype is half real.

I posted this on a similar thread:

"I had the Qutest and RME at the same time - not much in it sound wise if anything and with the filters pretty much even steven, I kept the RME in the end. Found the Chord coloured button UX a pita and slightly less of a pita that the quantum physics menus/options of the RME"
The RME works fine out of the box but to get the most from it and utilise all the bells and whistles you have a steep learning curve

The lack of a remote makes the Qutest less convenient to use and if you want proper Pre Amp functionality the RME is the better choice

I stupidly sold the RME just before Shielding started so bought the SONCOZ SGD1, which for the money is great but does have the odd issue, at less than half the cost it is worth a go - demo unit from Keith

I put a home office system together --> PC-USB to RME to QUAD QSP to ProAc 115, which was a fab sounding system but little used at the time, now I'm working from home rather than commuting I use the home office system constantly so should have kept it

I’m very interested by the RME. No way of auditioning one in NI though. Guess second hand they’re hens teeth if hype is half real.
They come up now and again plus there are some B Grades or Demo offers at the Pro Audio shops occasionally like Thomann/Absolute Music/Gear4 - you can always use distance selling rules to return it undamaged

Just checked I sold mine on here in Feb for £575

Bear in mind there are 2 versions - the newer one has a slightly better DAC chip and bigger remote

advertisement

Back