advertisement

Chord Poly Streaming Module

gerlando

Prog Rocker
Dear all,

what are the advantages of streaming from the Poly in combination with the Mojo over using your own phone?

Has anyone encountered sonic differences or benefits in functionality?

Cheers.
Mauro

Dear all,

what are the advantages of streaming from the Poly in combination with the Mojo over using your own phone?

Has anyone encountered sonic differences or benefits in functionality?

Cheers.
Mauro
Iirc, and if you dig back through the enormous thread about the Mojo on head-fi, you will find that the Mojo picked up a lot of interference from some phones, which led to advice from Chord to use them in separate pockets with a long cable in between, which was kinda laughable, so Chord developed the Poly. I would read the thread about the Poly on head-fi before buying one, there was a lot of aggravation in the early days, which is possibly mostly sorted now, but it would be sensible if you do buy one to get it from someone with a decent returns policy if you find it doesn’t work with your telephone/router/wifi.

^^^ This

Do a search about the Poly - I recall seeing a lot of posts by unhappy owners when it was released, I'd make sure the bugs have been eradicated. I did look at one instead of a normal DAP but was put off so went with a basic DAP to Mojo.

I find it advantageous to load up hi-res music on a micro-SD card, means I’m not swamping my phone’s storage with music. (Well, I am, ‘cos I keep my phone full of lower-res lossless as well.)

Also, if you use an iPhone, connectivity to the Mojo is dependent on the whims of the latest version of iOS and the Apple CCK cable.

The Mojo/Poly can be great when it works, but I’m not convinced it isn’t running some kind of super-advanced AI to come up with ever more elaborate reasons for not working. Hands down the most frustrating audio product I’ve owned in 40 years of faffing around with the stuff.

Hah! I find exactly the same. Mine works just fine (mostly) and I use it the same way as @MotelBlues, fully loaded SD card with HiRes. However, being a headless device and requiring configuration, it can be a pain to initially connect to and setup. However once that is done, I've not often found the need to go back into it.

I've not used my Poly for a while as I have been WFH. However I thought I'd take it out for a spin. Since WFH I've got a new phone running Android 10. The Google Play Store GoFigure app is not compatible so you have to download the correct version from Chord's website, and then sideload it to your phone. I honestly don't know whether to laugh or cry. It installed fine and worked out of the box, but this is prime British amateur hour.

advertisement

Back