advertisement

Chord Music Cables

TLS

pfm Member
How much better is a £3800 RCA analog cable compared to a Canare or a Belden cable?

Will this kind of extreme over inflated priced link between audio components attract more people into music or will it send a message to the great majority of music lovers that could never afford such a surreal fantasy that they should instead attend real live concerts for a fraction of the price?

The two questions of is it better than 'x' cable and is it worth the money are both realistically only answerable by the individual.

Easily done by borrowing one for a home trial.

And yes I do have one.

I bet someone here is into BDSM and could show us some extremely expensive ropes and restraints. Do they make a difference? I have absolutely no idea. But I do know that in every interest there are those who have lots of fun on a tight budget, and others who derive real pleasure from spending huge sums on toys.

An old, worn out, never to be ridden again bmx bike recently sold for about £9k on eBay, and few in the know were all that shocked. Mad world!

From the sane, objective POV; no, obviously not, no need to 'listen' (whatever that means, bypassed tone controls still-working placebo effect, eh?) anymore than I use my eyeballs to hammer nails.

From the sensory, human 'interpretation' affected by manifold influences, curiously co-morbid with elevated levels of disposable income, well, it could be that one thing needed to fill that void in your soul. Until the next time, ker-ching!

To my mind, this type of post/thought process is just plain daft trolling.

How much 'better' is a Patek watch versus a £5 Casio job in telling the time? Probably worse. Not really the point though, is it? And the fact that a Patek could be £250K doesn't stop people buying watches, does it?

Discussing cables of any type is just a waste of everyone's time. Just make up your own mind and leave it at that.

How much 'better' is a Patek watch versus a £5 Casio job in telling the time? Probably worse. Not really the point though, is it? And the fact that a Patek could be £250K doesn't stop people buying watches, does it?

But how many Patek owners justify their choice by "it is night and day better at telling time than a cheap Casio - even my wife could tell the difference!"? Not many.

Discussing cables of any type is just a waste of everyone's time. Just make up your own mind and leave it at that.

I bet neither of them is as reliable and accurate as a Citizen or Seiko solar powered watch. Amazing things if telling the time it your purpose.

Not at all the same really, even the most expensive rolex or Patek or that insane watch with loads of complications and a gyroscopic tourbillon will not be in the same league as a £10 casio quartz for accuracy, but they are works of art in the case of Pateks etc, and obviously, a Veblen commodity, and they don't claim to be more accurate, it's all about being mechanical. Or in the case of the "grand seiko quartz" just quartz to the max.

It's when people claim certain cables are better at music, or emotion, etc, a very aggressive stance hiding behind the passivity of 'just opinion', that gets people's backs up. And that it's palpable, actual, BS that is killing HiFi and making a total mockery of those people and companies who like to faff and go a step further in getting something that sounds good and not engage in vulgar displays of wealth out of any context.

Agree about the waste of time though, the debate hasn't changed in the past 10 years, because it's irreconcilable.

The two questions of is it better than 'x' cable and is it worth the money are both realistically only answerable by the individual.

Easily done by borrowing one for a home trial.

And yes I do have one.
I'm tempted to borrow one Mr Folkman, but then again it might be better not knowing. Shame really as I'd like to engage in a vulgar display of wealth.

well these cables do need top level components, we're talking about Naim 500 series.

And they do make a difference, but whether one wants to pay for it, well it's up the individual.

Haven't heard the music, but I have heard Sarum Super Aray and well yes these are excellent cables, and can do more than expensive box upgrades to improve the system.

well these cables do need top level components, we're talking about Naim 500 series.

And they do make a difference, but whether one wants to pay for it, well it's up the individual.

Not sure I would pay a lot for gear that is that sensitive to cables...

I prefer gear that sounds excellent with any normal cables.
Yep, so do I. Mine sounds wonderful with normal cables too, and I suspect most folk buy their hi-fi because it sounds wonderful to them with normal cabling also.

I bet someone here is into BDSM and could show us some extremely expensive ropes and restraints.

Aren't cable threads a form of BDSM? The submissive masochistic cable believers start them desperate to be whipped and dominated by the sadistic, objective sceptics.

Aren't cable threads a form of BDSM? The submissive masochistic cable believers start them desperate to be whipped and dominated by the sadistic, objective sceptics.

That is the most coherent rationale for cable discussions I've ever seen.

advertisement

Back