advertisement

Chord Hugo battery replacement

rockingdoc

pfm Member
So, without warning, my Hugo went from working normally to not working. Flashed a few different colours on switch on, but no linking to source and no audio output.
Guessing it could be the batteries, took the back off and I did a Google search on the part number, to no avail. Searching the RS site for type and specs revealed an identical looking battery, but with different part number. Took a punt and ordered.
Soldered the replacement batteries to the board, which was a little fiddly as the terminals are so close together and I was keen to avoid a short. Could have left the old leads in place, but they were looking surpringly ragged at the pcb joins, and I thought I could do better.
Plugged in and all is fine. So that’s about a hundred quid saved for five minutes work.

Chord have just dropped the price of battery replacement to £50...they’ve found a cheaper supplier.

They did my Hugo last week and it was a nice surprise when I heard the price. But I dropped off and collected so no dealer or postage involved.

How old are your Hugos? LiPo batteries should last several years if not mismanaged
Mine’s three years old. Is it best to keep them on charge as opposed to fully discharge before charging? I will probably go ahead this week and put the new batteries in.

Excellent site : http://batteryuniversity.com

No, life of LiPo greatly reduced by time spent or stored at 100% charge.
No, life of LiPo greatly reduced by fully discharging.

To be fair, fully discharging a LiPo is a bit more serious than reducing its life, unless you also meant the life of all the occupants in the house that burned down as a result of fully draining it? :) Not familiar with the Hugo batteries, but for RC cars LiPos offer stunning performance...but should be set to a controlled voltage if being stored for any period of time, I use a smart charger to achieve this.

advertisement

Back